Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Broncos @ Eagles

(TSX / STATS) -- The red-hot Philadelphia Eagles look to extend their winning streak to seven games on Sunday when they host the sputtering Denver Broncos at Lincoln Financial Field.

Philadelphia defeated the San Francisco 49ers 33-10 last week to improve to an NFL-best 7-1 on the season.

The Broncos, meanwhile, fell to the Kansas City Chiefs, 29-19, on Monday Night Football. The loss was Denver's third straight and dropped its record to 3-4.

Despite the 23-point win, the Eagles were fairly unhappy with their performance.

"Sometimes you're never satisfied with a win," Philadelphia coach Doug Pederson said. "Obviously, you're never satisfied with a loss because there's always room for improvement. When guys take ownership like that and say they can play better, it just shows you the kind of character of the football team and the type of guys that we have in the locker room.

"These guys are so eager now to get back on the practice field Wednesday, kind of redeem themselves a little bit. Got another opportunity Sunday against a good football team to get back on track that way."

Carson Wentz leads the league with a career-best 19 touchdown passes, the most by a Philadelphia quarterback through eight games since 1950.

The Eagles have scored 20 or more points in 12 straight games, the longest active streak in the league and the second-longest in franchise history. Philadelphia is the only team to score 20 or more points in every game this season.

Even though the Eagles played a sloppy game at times against the 49ers, the result was another win.

"That's kind of just our approach every week -- to just go 1-0," Wentz said. "Go 1-0, study the tape, and don't get caught up in all the outside noise, good and bad. Just try to go 1-0 for the week and have the same preparation day in and day out."

Philadelphia improved its roster before the trade deadline Tuesday by acquiring running back Jay Ajayi from the Miami Dolphins for a fourth-round draft pick in 2018.

LeGarrette Blount leads the Eagles in rushing with 467 yards and two touchdowns. Adding a player like Ajayi will certainly help.

"Keep doing what you're doing," Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich said, referring to what the team told Blount.

"You're a big reason we're 7-1. You're a big reason we made the strides we made in the running game. Your tenaciousness running the football, the attitude you've brought, the toughness that you've brought and the unselfishness you've brought is a big part of our identity. So that's what we hope for to continue."

The Broncos committed five turnovers in the 10-point loss to the Chiefs. Quarterback Trevor Siemian struggled mightily, going 5 of 14 for 56 yards and two interceptions before halftime.

"When you watch Trevor, even (Monday) night, he made three horrible interceptions," Broncos coach Vance Joseph told the Denver Post. "I mean, horrific decisions with those three. But he had 20 other plays that were really, really good. So when you watch your starting quarterback make 20 or 25 amazing throws, amazing checks and three horrific interceptions, that's when it becomes an issue because, in your heart, you know he can play better."

Brock Osweiler was told by the Broncos Wednesday morning that he'll start against the Eagles, though it's possible that Siemian could see action as well. Osweiler is 13-8 as a starter in his brief career.

Siemian has tossed 10 interceptions this season and been sacked 25 times.

"I think Trevor has been pressing to be a special player for us,'" Joseph told the Denver Post. "Trevor is a young quarterback that hasn't played that much NFL football. It's a new system that he's inherited with Mike McCoy here, so his inconsistencies have come just by him pressing, trying to make big plays."

Following a 2-0 start, the Broncos have gone 1-4 while Siemian has thrown three touchdowns against eight costly interceptions. He threw a career-high three interceptions against Kansas City.

The Broncos have turned the ball over 17 times, the second-highest mark in the league.

"There's high tension. We're not winning. We're giving the ball away," cornerback Chris Harris told the Denver Post. "We're tired of losing the same way. We have to score some points. You can't win if you can't score. ... We've been fighting uphill the last two years."

Broncos right guard Ron Leary suffered a mild strain of his left biceps against the Chiefs. He is day-to-day and expected to play Sunday.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

This game really worries me. The Broncos have dropped 3 straight and their season is probably on the line in this one. They have the pass rush to really give the Eagles issues with Peters out and they're so good against the run.

They are starting Osweiler though and for them to win he kind of has to outplay Wentz and that won't be easy because the Eagles have a pretty good pass rush too.

:Eagles: 20

:Broncos: 16

The Broncos' pass rush makes this a very bad matchup for the Eagles. If Denver had a good QB I would predict a loss quite comfortably, but the Eagles just need to play ball control with Blount/Ajayi, not turn the ball over, and it's theirs. Two touchdowns probably wins this game.

:Eagles: 17

:Broncos: 12

If the Eagles lose they have no one but themselves to blame. It's freaking Rock Lobster man...

:Broncos: 6

:Eagles: 32

If Denver is smart they don't blitz at least early on. Wentz has been so good at seeing the blitz this year. Their pass rush can probably get home with 4. They can't give him somewhere to go with the football.

Von Miller would have pressured Wentz with or without JP. I think Vitai plays better than expected

How many different players has Wentz thrown TDs to this season? I believe that's Burton's second. I'm not sure if Celek has caught one, or Smallwood. And one receiver, number 5 or 6 on the depth chart, #14 I think. That's about it

Brock is actually playing even worse than I thought he would. Some heads need to roll in Denver.

• Upvote 2

Bye week cleanup for the Eagles: Drive Isaac Seumalo out into the wilderness and leave him there

Actually aside from getting beat by Von Miller on that strip sack against Foles I though he was decent. When Wentz was in you couldn't even tell he was at RT tbh.

I can't believe how successful the Eagles were tonight at neutralizing the Broncos up front. They rushed for 197 yards and surrendered 2 sacks and 2 QB hits. I'm really starting to believe in Doug Pederson. I didn't expect the Broncos to do anything offensively and outside of garbage time they didn't but man the Eagles offense looked impressive against an elite defense.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

51 points.

Against the #1 defense in the league, statistically.

Wentz completed 15 passes.

Eagles are for real.

Wentz is doing more at the LoS and in his reads than most established QBs in the league. He is playing at an elite level right now, mentally. There's still some physical work to be done but when you can make many throws that often you're opposing QB can't, those mechanical issues aren't as obvious.

But none of this is possible without the excellent play of the Eagles Defense. They take so much pressure off the offense