Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

2017 College Football Playoff Thread

I don't agree with the logic many people are using to include Clemson because they were champs last year....too much personnel turnover in college for that to be a go-to. A loss like the Cuse loss should be a nail in coffin when compared to most of the other teams' resumes.

I agree. Some of their signature wins don't look as good in hindsight, either. They still have some strong games against Auburn and Virginia Tech, but yeah I agree the ACC should only be sending their conference champ.

I really wish it would just be all Power 5 Champs secured a spot with three at-large bids.

The rankings are a joke. No WAY we should be ranked 17th on the list, we shouldn't even be on it. Didn't come to play on the biggest game of the season. Just give us a crappy bowl game, we deserve that.

The system is a joke. Just expand it already, ffs.

As usual, there are scenarios where everything works out for the committee, and there are scenarios where we have total chaos. For now...

• The ACC Championship (Clemson/Miami) is a de facto playoff game. The winner is in the Playoff; the loser is out.
  • If Wisconsin wins out and wins the Big Ten, they're in.
  • If Oklahoma wins out and wins the Big 12, they're in.

What's really interesting is the SEC. Obviously if Alabama beats Auburn this week, then the SEC Championship becomes a de facto playoff game as well. But what if something weird happens like Auburn beating Alabama then losing to Georgia in the SECCG? There's no way a 1-loss Alabama (even if it is Alabama) makes the Playoff without appearing in its conference championship, right?

No conference is good enough to justify that this year. The SEC especially isn't as good as the B1G was last year. I think as an OSU fan it was cool making the playoffs last year but in hindsight it kind of fucked teams like PSU over.

But this year especially the SEC isn't strong enough to justify this.

I still contend that Miami isn't any good, but I don't have anything to back it up with.

:cigar:

• Upvote 1

Well now, things just got real interesting.

Of course, this could still turn out very simply for the committee. If Oklahoma, Clemson, Wisconsin, and Auburn win their conference championships, there's your top 4 right there. You can probably say the same about Miami and Georgia; I think those games next week are de facto playoff games.

Where it gets exciting is a possible Wisconsin loss, opening the door for Ohio State, and a possible Oklahoma loss, opening the door for Alabama.

Really glad I was wrong about Auburn beating Bama. Really glad.

:fgm:

• Upvote 1

The commitee holds bama in such high regard they're gonna be in anyway, regardless what happens next week.

Edited by Sparty

The commitee holds bama in such high regard they're gonna be in anyway, regardless what happens next week.

Wrong. No way they get in if Wisconsin, Oklahoma, and Clemson all win.

Auburn dominated that game in the second half, was amazing. Easily the best I've seen that defense play.

Shouldn't have given Georgia motivation after that beatdown, though, should have known there was a good chance Auburn would be playing them again.

ACC & SEC are win and in. Bama should be in if Oklahoma or Wisconsin lose.

I know...I am being "that guy" but why not UCF if they win their conference and Wisc/Oklahoma lose. Undefeated, conference champions. Isn't the Boise State issue of years past part of the reason why we have a playoff now? And they would be beating two one-loss teams in a row. Not only that but the UCF-USF game was wild, I am down to watch them again. And are you really taking an Ohio State team that got dumpstered by Iowa over an undefeated team? pls

Edited by BJORN
  • Upvote 1

All the ADs on the committee are from Power 5 conferences, so UCF has no shot.

Edited by SteVo

If Wisky wins, put UCF against OSU in a bowl game.

If they win and they pull this off again next year, then I'd give them a shot at the CFP.

If Wisky wins, put UCF against OSU in a bowl game.

If they win and they pull this off again next year, then I'd give them a shot at the CFP.

They are going to lose their coach though, another pet peeve of mine: coaches talking about job openings when they still have games to play. Respect the University and players you have.

But hell yeah at a OSU matchup with them.

Edited by BJORN

Bama should be dead in the water. If OSU wins and gets snubbed, so be it. Bama's resume is trash. OSU and TCU both have better resumes in stronger conferences.

Penultimate rankings are in.

1) Clemson

2) Auburn

3) Oklahoma

4) Wisconsin

5) Alabama

6) Georgia

7) Miami

8) Ohio State

Quick observations:

• Everyone wanted an 8-team playoff? We have it! Sort of. All 8 teams above could make the top 4, in my opinion, depending on how this weekend goes down.
  • UCF only moving up to #14 is disrespectful. The committee is saying even if we had an 8-team playoff UCF wouldn't get a chance, which is wrong.
  • Alabama and Georgia rounding out the top 6 shows this committee still thinks it's 2010 in terms of SEC dominance.

Regarding this weekend, and which teams will/won't get in:

• The SEC Championship Game (Auburn/Georgia) is a playoff game. Winner is in the top 4, loser is out.
  • The ACC Championship Game (Clemson/Miami) is a playoff game. Winner is in the top 4, loser is out. I know some will doubt Miami, but beating Clemson should give them the marquee win they need, especially since the committee has held Clemson in such high regard all year.
  • Oklahoma beats TCU, and they're in. They lose, and the Big 12 doesn't get a representative.
  • I think the most intriguing question right now is undoubtedly Ohio State. If they beat Wisconsin, do they get in the top 4? If they beat Wisconsin unimpressively, does that open the door for Alabama?

Really impossible for me to sound unbiased but I don't see how Bama gets in. This reminds me of 2015 OSU. They were great that year, only one loss, but they didn't have a good resume and lost when it mattered most. Their resume right now is probably only better than Wisconsin's. The Iowa game is undoubtedly an albatross for OSU.

I realize TCU won't get in over Bama, but that's ridiculous. TCU played in a stronger conference and has some strong wins.

With the OSU fuck up last year, if Bama gets in at all this year I think people will start losing any faith that remains in the committee.

I think Alabama's best path to the top 4 is an Oklahoma loss, because TCU is not jumping into the top 4 with a win. Alabama could also benefit from a Wisconsin loss, but in that case I think the odds are much greater that Ohio State jumps them into the top 4.

OSU's blowout loss to Iowa is going to hurt them. It's going to come down to whether the committee values strength of wins more than bad losses.

I think Alabama's best path to the top 4 is an Oklahoma loss, because TCU is not jumping into the top 4 with a win. Alabama could also benefit from a Wisconsin loss, but in that case I think the odds are much greater that Ohio State jumps them into the top 4.

No I think TCU would be comparable to OSU if they win, except they don't have a bad loss, but less a 1 strong win.

Edited by BJORN

Yeah this whole time I didn't see that TCU was 11. I think they're only that low because of brand name. Personally I think based on any criteria they deserve a spot more than OSU or Bama.

OSU's blowout loss to Iowa is going to hurt them. It's going to come down to whether the committee values strength of wins more than bad losses.

Yup, definitely. If OSU is snubbed at the end of the day they could have avoided it by showing up in Iowa.

No I think TCU would be comparable to OSU if they win, except they don't have a bad loss, but less a 1 strong win.

I think they compare favorably. ISU is a "better" loss than Iowa, and we both lost to Oklahoma (though we lost at home, I think they lost on the road). In general, I think the Big 12 is the best conference this year. They may not have a win like Wisconsin (purely hypothetical at this point, I don't think a win is guaranteed at all) or Penn State, but overall I think they're more solid.

I genuinely think OSU deserves their spot in 2014. This year, if OSU and TCU both win, then it'd basically be OSU getting in because of brand name.

If Auburn beats Georgia again and OSU beats Wisconsin I can't see OSU getting in over Bama. A close lost to Auburn vs a lost to Oklahoma and a SMASHING from Iowa. Quality of loss matters and Bama has the most quality loss out of Miami, Clemson, OSU, and Oklahoma.