Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

2017 College Football Playoff Thread

That would put the committee in the toughest spot, in my opinion: the current top 4 wins this weekend with the exception of Wisconsin. I'm honestly not sure if I'd rather see Alabama or Ohio State make the Playoff in that scenario. It would depend on how soundly Ohio State beat Wisconsin, I suppose.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Miami beating Clemson could also put the committee in a tough spot, but I think Miami makes the top 4 with a win for two reasons: 1) the committee has held Clemson in high regard all year, and 2) the committee is willing to forgive bad losses if a team has strong wins (see: Auburn).

Edited by SteVo

If they value conference diversity, then only one team from each conference get in. I understand this is about best teams, but there isn't really a conference that stands out and really justifies saying the top two teams from that conference are better than other teams.

I'd be more willing to look past Bama's loss to Auburn if A) I wasn't an OSU fan B) they didn't lose literally the last game of the season C) they didn't lose a game they (and admittedly Auburn) basically had two weeks to prepare for and D) their resume was at least somewhat defensible.

My if-then predictions for this weekend:

• Winner of Auburn/Georgia is in.
  • Winner of Clemson/Miami is in.
  • If Oklahoma loses, then Alabama is in.
  • If Wisconsin loses, then Alabama is in--unless Ohio State impresses with a dominant victory.

I think the dream scenario for the committee is Oklahoma and Wisconsin both losing, so Alabama and Ohio State both get in.

• Upvote 1

If only we lived in a universe where UCF had a shot to make it...

If only we lived in a universe where UCF had a shot to make it...

We gotta get out of this BCS system to do it!

OSU is going to be wrecked if they get in. I don't want either Bama or OSU in. Pls put UCF.

My thoughts: OSU should have steamrolled Wisconsin, and I think it says a lot that we won 27-21. JT Barrett had a few TDs, but one of them was all Campbell. He missed some gimme throws that would have iced the game halfway through the third. Don't get me started on the INTs. I think Wisconsin really is a good team, but they should not have been in that. Also, I still have an irrational hatred of Sheffield.

Clemson would decimate OSU even worse than last year.

Alabama deserves to be in. Ohio State isn't good enough. This really isn't that complicated.

If Penn State didn't get in last year, Ohio State shouldn't get in this year.

Nice job by the committee. They had a tough decision, and I think they made the right choice.

Its always a good day when OSU gets fucked over. :)

Edited by Sparty

At least they were consistent from last year to this year. PSU's loss to Pitt last year kept us out; OSU getting clobbered by Iowa kept them out this year.

At least they were consistent from last year to this year. PSU's loss to Pitt last year kept us out; OSU getting clobbered by Iowa kept them out this year.

It's a small silver lining. I don't think either of OSU or Bama had a very convincing argument to get in. A real shit show; I'm glad they put Bama in, because we absolutely would have been demolished with Barrett against Clemson. I don't want to pin all of it on him, but we would have hung 35+ on Wisconsin while conceding two less TDs with a QB who consistently made good throws.

To clarify my shift from earlier posts, I was going off the assumption that OSU obviously won and at least looked good doing it. I don't think OSU looked that good. They still had some issues with Wisconsin out-scheming us on some throws to TEs and out of the backfield (our LBs haven't been great) and obviously the offenses game was predicated on four big plays.

Edit: If JT shows up and the LBs/Kendall Sheffield aren't exposed, then I think we could beat USC. May be a good match up. I only think it'll be competitive if the good OSU shows up, otherwise Darnold will basically have as many drives as he wants to find a rhythm.

Edited by OSUViking

Man, we were 7 points away from not having Bama in the playoff at all.

:fbm:

So...predictions? I think these playoff games are gonna be fucking awesome. Can't wait until New Year's Day. I'll say things shake down this way...

Clemson beats Alabama

Oklahoma beats Georgia

Oklahoma beats Clemson in the National Championship.

• Upvote 1

I could see any of them winning. I think Bama needs Clemson to have a pretty bad game, but it's Bama so they could definitely win.

Alabama

Georgia

Alabama

:Suicide:

So at this point the Committee has pretty clearly established that losses are more important than wins, if I cared about college football I'd be pretty upset about that assessment

• Upvote 2

So at this point the Committee has pretty clearly established that losses are more important than wins, if I cared about college football I'd be pretty upset about that assessment

You think beating Wisconsin eradicates a 30 point loss to Iowa?

You think beating Wisconsin eradicates a 30 point loss to Iowa?

It's not about wins eradicating losses, it's about OSU having more wins over quality opponents than Bama did. OSU beat Wisconsin (#6), Penn State (#9), and Michigan State (#16), who all finished higher in the CFP rankings than the highest ranked team Bama beat (LSU at #17). The Big 10 was one of the top conferences this year, so I don't like leaving them out to give two teams to a weak (this season) SEC.

• Upvote 2

Glad we agree. So Penn State should have bee in last year, right?

Glad we agree. So Penn State should have bee in last year, right?

I don't remember looking at it that closely last year or where I came down at the time, looking at it now I would have some trouble going against PSU based on the conference championship and the head to head win, but then looking at other games OSU did have some strong wins last year, beating Wisconsin (#8 in the last pre-playoff CFP rankings, though admittedly PSU beat them as well), Oklahoma (#7), and Michigan (#6), PSU had similarly strong wins against Wisconsin and OSU, so it's a tough call

Yeah, in hindsight I wish PSU had made it. We wouldn't have been exposed like we were, and frankly PSU may have had a shot. By the end of the year they weren't the same team that got hosed by Michigan.

Admittedly hard to say the same for OSU this year after Iowa considering how poorly we played against Michigan and Wisconsin.