Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

2017 College Football Playoff Thread

Bama gets a month off to recover from pesky injuries.

Saban gets a month to prepare for Clemson after losing last year.

It's going to be one hell of a dogfight but I think we beat Clemson and then lose to OU.

Alabama

Georgia

Alabama

:Suicide:

It has been foreseen.

:welp:

Even when a crappy undefeated team goes to a bowl game, their coach leaves the next year or soon after so complaining about UCF not getting in gets you nowhere in the end.

Edited by Sparty

That Oklahoma-Georgia game was one of the better games I have seen in a while.

But we still need an 8-team playoff. Only a matter of time. :yep:

Even when a crappy undefeated team goes to a bowl game, their coach leaves the next year or soon after so complaining about UCF not getting in gets you nowhere in the end.

He is going to his dream job?

Clemson beats Alabama

Oklahoma beats Georgia

Oklahoma beats Clemson in the National Championship.

giphy.gif

Edited by ATL

A swift swing and a miss for my predictions. :rog:

So yeah, we've got to either expand the Playoff or find a way to eliminate the Power 5 bias of the committee. I honestly understand excluding UCF from the top 4, but ranking them 12th prior to the bowl games is outright disrespectful.

I read a column (forget who wrote it, I think it was Pat Forde) that advocated for an eight-team playoff (which we all are doing) but also suggested eliminating conference championship games, arguing they have become unnecessary. I think this is a unique way to approach the debate, especially given this year, where Alabama essentially is rewarded for missing the SEC Championship Game.

Speaking of, one last thought: in a down year for the conference, it's still SEC vs SEC for the national championship. Catch up, every other conference.

What disgusts me is how people sit and say how the Big 10 is an overall better conference.

This may be indeed true for this past year in terms of quality teams...

SEC is too top heavy and it'll balance itself out next year.

I mean, even Kentucky made a bowl game!

Edited by Sparty

I fully expect Alabama to win the national championship but I'm sick of a team like UCF getting snubbed. You shouldn't go undefeated in a sport and not have a chance to be the champion. If that's the case stop saying all these teams are a part of the FBS and just seperate the Power 5 conferences and the others because you're only kidding yourselves.

I've been thinking about UCF a lot the last few days, and here's a problem I encountered. Bear with me here...

Let's say the Playoff expands to eight teams. Well, that wouldn't have solved UCF's problems this year, because they were ranked 12th at season's end. So an expansion wouldn't have gotten them in. (Maybe if it were Top 8 instead of Top 4, the committee gives more thought to including UCF, but maybe not.) So, how to fix that?

As some have suggested, we could incorporate a caveat in the top eight: all five Power 5 conference championships earn an automatic berth and any non-Power 5 conference champion that finishes undefeated earns an automatic berth. Under these conditions, our Playoff this year would probably be:

1) Clemson (ACC champion)

2) Georgia (SEC champion)

3) Oklahoma (Big 12 champion)

4) Alabama (at-large #1)

5) Ohio State (Big Ten champion)

6) Wisconsin (at-large #2)

7) USC (Pac 12 champion)

8) UCF (undefeated American champion)

First, I think these would be epic. We get an Alabama/Ohio State game instead of an Alabama/Ohio State inclusion debate. UCF gets a chance to prove itself if they're legit; Clemson gets an easy game if they're not, reward for being ranked 1st. The biggest exclusion is Auburn, but they lost 3 games so screw 'em.

Now, the problem we might encounter with this...

The problem for years with these "peripheral big conference" teams who go undefeated is strength of schedule. Boise State ran into this countless times, as did Utah, now UCF, and many others. And many of these smaller schools have attempted to solve that problem by scheduling big matchups.

But now, under this proposed system, they don't have to worry about strength of schedule. All they have to do is finish undefeated and they're in. So, I fear adding a caveat like this could result in teams from menial conferences playing cupcake schedules and working their way into the Playoff. Granted, it's still very difficult to finish undefeated no matter who you play, but it is a concern.

Ultimately, I think expansion to eight teams would be for the better, no matter what caveats they add. And I also think the root of many problems is the committee itself, and its inherent bias toward Power 5 conferences. Yes, the committee includes former coaches of Southern Mississippi and Central Michigan. But it also includes current athletic directors of Texas Tech, Oregon, Clemson, Ohio State, a former athletic director at Arkansas, and a former coach at Virginia Tech.

• Upvote 2

I literally can not stop laughing that UCF is claiming themselves to be national champions and they are even throwing a national championship parade at Disney World. I live in the Orlando area and attended UCF but I absolutely HATE this school. They are such an arrogant school it's ridiculous, and I'm not talking about their football program either. I still remember my orientation there and the leaders of the school where doing a speech to a big audotorium of people and they were telling us how companies will be fighting each other for the right to hire UCF graduates and that a UCF degree guarantees you made it in life. The smug just kind of radiates around that place and I don't know why, they think they are Harvard or some shit and now they had one great football season and they think they are Alabama too throwing national champion parades lol. They better enjoy it while they last, because they aren't going to have a season like this again. Hell, the coach jumped ship right away from the "prestigous" UCF. Enjoy your fake national championship bozos.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Regarding 8 team playoff, reserve an "at-large" bid for the highest ranked G5 conference champ.

• Upvote 1

Regarding 8 team playoff, reserve an "at-large" bid for the highest ranked G5 conference champ.

That would have included the following teams, in the history of the Playoff (records are before bowl games):

2017: UCF (12-0, won American, beat Auburn in Fiesta Bowl)

2016: Western Michigan (13-0, won MAC, lost to Wisconsin in Cotton Bowl)

2015: Houston (12-1, won American, beat Florida State in Peach Bowl)

2014: Boise State (11-2, won Mountain West, beat Arizona in Fiesta Bowl)

When I first typed my response to your comment I was going to say it was a bad idea, but based on the data, I see four teams who can (in my opinion) hold their own on the field and went 3-1 in New Year's Six bowl games. So, automatic inclusion for the highest ranking Group of Five team? I'm down.

I was about to hit Post, but now I'm curious so I'm going back to the BCS days...

2013: UCF (11-1, won American, beat Baylor in Fiesta Bowl)

2012: Northern Illinois (12-1, won MAC, lost to Florida State in Orange Bowl)

2011: TCU (10-2, won Mountain West, beat Louisiana Tech in Poinsetta Bowl)

2010: TCU (12-0, won Mountain West, beat Wisconsin in Rose Bowl)

So the highest-ranked Group of Five conference champion is 6-2 in bowl games since 2010. :coffee:

• Upvote 2

I would agree with OSU, make the 8th seed, or at least one of the seeds, the highest ranked G5 champ, instead of forcing an undefeated season on them.

That way there's always a spot for them.

Edited by Thanatos

I would agree with OSU, make the 8th seed, or at least one of the seeds, the highest ranked G5 champ, instead of forcing an undefeated season on them.

That way there's always a spot for them.

Yep, and this would help to avoid the possible problem of scheduling cupcakes because you'll want to look like the strongest of those small conference schools.

UCF being ranked at #12 by the committee was legitimately fraudulent. I am happy we have a playoff but I thought a big reason one was introduced was because of teams like Boise State going undefeated and never getting their chance. Now it has just devolved into a de facto, best 4 of power conferences. Hopefully, UCF beating Auburn opens the committee's minds.

This is one of the worst officiated games I've seen since Sunday. Bama is being given all the calls. Missed blatant holding on the TD pass, missed personal foul on the late shot to Fromm's head, missed DPI on the play after that, missed blatant facemask in the first half, gave Bama a critical PI call on a very ticky tack play on 3rd and long. Just huge critical errors by the refs, nearly all benefiting Bama.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Downvote 1

Refs may have been inconsistent, but Georgia has nobody to blame but themselves. They were the better team for three quarters or so (including the entire first half) but couldn't put Alabama away. They let them hang around and tie the game, and then, they got the ball back with the game tied, 4 minutes left, and went three and out.

• Upvote 2

What is it with football teams from the state of Georgia blowing leads in title games?

Refs may have been inconsistent, but Georgia has nobody to blame but themselves. They were the better team for three quarters or so (including the entire first half) but couldn't put Alabama away. They let them hang around and tie the game, and then, they got the ball back with the game tied, 4 minutes left, and went three and out.

Agreed. The refs were awful in favor of Alabama but I mean even in OT you have them backed all the way at midfield and you give up a bomb? Great game though.

Absolutely Georgia should still have won that game, but the refs are the only reason Bama got back into it. Also missed a blatant false start on the TD pass, didn't see that one in real time.

Also also, called offsides on the punt block when I don't think he was actually across the line and even if he was, he came across because Bama moved first.

Alabama

Georgia

Alabama

:Suicide:

It has been foreseen.

:welp:

And it really was in the most :Suicide: way possible.

Now it's time to determine whether or not I'm the cause of the outcome...