Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Hey Look! Truth!

So your proposed solution is that the US government bans a religion.

I like how this article just glosses over the fact that more people die from overdoses than from terrorist attacks.

Let me rephrase the article's argument for you, just so you can see how stupid it is:

"How many more bodies must pile up from from shootings like the one in Las Vegas and in Texas before we realize that candlelight vigils and teddy bears aren't enough to stop the next one?"

You can use literally his exact same logic to argue for banning guns. Somehow, I think Shapiro and Co. wouldn't like that.

"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither." -Ben Franklin

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 2

I don't think we should ban it, but until we no longer have citizens dying at the hands of radical Islam, the feelings of Muslims do not matter.

I certainly do think gun legislation is worthy of discussion, but we already have trouble enforcing laws that are in place. Our starting point is stricter, more transparent enforcement of current laws.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Downvote 1

So your proposed solution is that the US government bans a religion.

Hey, guess what? That's not what I said. You have become such a typical liberal. Copy and paste, straight out of a university.

However, the world would be a better, safer place without Islam. Is that even debatable?

I don't think we should ban it, but until we no longer have citizens dying at the hands of radical Islam, the feelings of Muslims do not matter.

I certainly do think gun legislation is worthy of discussion, but we already have trouble enforcing laws that are in place. Our starting point is stricter, more transparent enforcement of current laws.

I don't think we should ban them, but until we no longer have citizens being shot in the streets, the feelings of gun-owners do not matter.

Hey, guess what? That's not what I said. You have become such a typical liberal. Copy and paste, straight out of a university.

However, the world would be a better, safer place without Islam. Is that even debatable?

You said you wanted to do a "cleanse." I thought I was being generous by not taking that as a desire to commit genocide.

And the world would be a better, safer, place without conservatives but I don't want to throw all of you into camps.

Wrong. Don't go and throw one religion underneath the bus. The world would be a better place if all religions ceased to exist.

• Upvote 1

It's impossible to root out radical Islam, just like it's impossible to root out all the mentally ill psychos who want to go on a shooting spree. Should we go through checks with who we let immigrate into the country? Sure. But assuming Islamic terrorism is something that can prevented is ridiculous.

A good portion of the pro-gun crowd thinks gun control is impossible because criminals will find a way, but refuse to admit that homicidal ideologies are even tougher to stop. Where there is a will, there's a way, and terrorism is about as willful as it gets.

• Upvote 1

Stop associating mental illness with these shooting sprees. Bad people do bad things

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Stop associating mental illness with these shooting sprees. Bad people do bad things

Yeah, the common thread between these is that they all used guns.

The common thread of all shootings is that they used guns? wow. Thank you Professor Blots for that little knowledge nugget.

I like all the people who want everyone to keep their guns but don't want to pay for mental health care to maybe prevent some of the wack jobs from getting guns and maybe getting some fucking help before going on muder spree. YET ANOTHER REASON for single payer health care.

• Upvote 1

The common thread of all shootings is that they used guns? wow. Thank you Professor Blots for that little knowledge nugget.

I mean, that seems to be a controversial thing to say.

It is remarkably cruel to actual mental illness sufferers to repeatedly associate mental illness with these mass shootings. Do some of these shooters have mental illnesses? Yes. Do all of them? No. Some dentists have mental illnesses. Some clergymen have mental illnesses. Yes, we need better health care when it comes to mental illness, but we don't need to cruelly draw a line and act as if mass shootings and terrorist attacks are committed exclusively by mental illness sufferers. They are not. I doubt even the majority are.

Also, you want to actually make progress with mental healthcare? Less prescriptions and less diagnoses of vague anxiety nonsense. Focus on the shit that's actually real and stop giving every Tom, Dick, and Harry an unneeded prescription. We already don't understand mental illness, and we are distancing ourselves from actual progress by acting as if someone who had a couple of bad days needs a goddamn anxiety med. Before we can make progress with mental illness, we need to adjust the collective perspective of our society. There's way too much melodramatic narcissism, grown ass adults who let everyday things ruin their days like petulant children.

^Thread incoming, when I can find the proper words.

I disagree, I think relgiion was made by people to better explain their lives and the world around them. I think it's also just a primitive form of organization. I think later on religion was manipulated to influence the public mind and opinion. They're all actually pretty much the same. Islamic extremism is caused by desperation and poverty. Fear and uncertainty. These people are a product of their environment. We can't even comprehend what it's like to live in a place like that. The only way to do away with Islamic terrorism is to stop inciting conflict, stop bombing and stop trying to install new regimes. Let them draw their own boarders.

Having the discussion we've been having on this is absurd. The most religious people are usually the poorest and most desperate people. Look at the Bible Belt in the US. All of the poorest states in the country for the most part. They're the people most susceptible to religious zealotry because they're just looking for an answer. They're just looking for a reason and along comes religion. Maybe the next life won't be so hard and cruel if I'm a man of God I'm promised an eternity in paradise.

• Upvote 2

Remarkable that mental health is one of the first things to come up when the discussion is mass shootings. Let's ignore that those with mental health issues are statistically more likely to be victims of violence, either from others or from themselves, than they are to harm others. The overwhelming majority of people with any sort of mental health issues are not going to be violent. I know people associate things like psychosis with rage, but that's generally not the case. There are instances where, because of a person's unique and complex biology and history, they react aggressively to stimuli. Most people who are psychotic will tell you they live in fear and isolation because the slightest mention of the shit they deal with is met with fear, disapproval, and scorn from those around them.

I really don't know how to address the mass shooting phenomena. But to point at any single issue and say "this is the reason" is foolish. It's a complex issue, and what compels one person to go on a spree won't necessarily be the same reason for someone else. It's incredibly stigmatic to simply point at violent behavior and assume it was because the person was mentally ill.

I entirely agree. I feel like people *want* mass shooters to be by and large mentally ill, because it comforts us to think there was something wrong or broken in those people's minds, instead of them simply being a human being. Reminds me of a picture of Adolf Hitler walking down the street, hand in hand with a little girl, with the caption "We like to think of Hitler as a monster because we don't want to believe we could do what he did." - I butchered that quote I'm sure, can't remember what it was exactly.

However, what floors me in this thread is the utter hypocrisy expressed by Bware and those who agree with him, who on the one hand believe that mass shootings are a complex problem with a multifaceted solution- I happen to agree with that, although I think gun control is one step towards that solution- and in the same post turn around and claim that terrorist attacks can be solved by banning Muslims.

Do you guys seriously not hear how utterly hypocritical you sound?

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

It is remarkably cruel to Muslims to repeatedly associate Islam with these mass shootings. Are some of these shooters Muslim? Yes. Are all of them? No. Some dentists are Muslim. Some clergymen are Muslim (Imams). Yes, we need to include radicalized Muslims when we look at facets of terrorism, but we don't need to cruelly draw a line and act as if mass shootings and terrorist attacks are committed exclusively by Muslims. They are not. I doubt even the majority are.

• Upvote 2

I see what you're saying and I hear you but if mental health treatment can help prevent one mass shooting or act of terror isn't it worth it? Maybe these people aren't metnally ill per say but maybe just the help of a therapist anyway would help idk. I'm not saying that everyone should have to under go a mental evaluation but I think guaranteed access to mental health treatment or therapy that lives could be saved. You are right though, it's not something that will be easily fixed.

That's the thing, mental health treatment will help a few of these cases, and we need to have better access to it anyway, even putting aside the issue of mass shootings. My friend who is ex-military absolutely needs to talk to a shrink, but he's too manly to do it. Guy is messed up in the head from what he saw and had to do, and I will never excuse his actions, but his anger problems could probably be alleviated if he would just talk to a psychologist.

But we don't want to claim that it will fix the issue of mass shootings.

I would be curious here, has anyone done a study on all mass shootings in the US in the last, say, ten years, and seen how many of them were carried out via legally acquired weapons vs illegally acquired weapons?

This article litterally and hilariously reads as a parody Onion article about gun violence in this country.

Guy mows down hundreds at a concert, 20+ mowed down in a church, people stall and respond by saying this is "too complicating", and eventually get over it.

Terrorist with ties to ISIS kills a whole lot less, everybody wants to talk about it and sweep it all under one religion.

• Upvote 1

It is remarkably cruel to Muslims to repeatedly associate Islam with these mass shootings. Are some of these shooters Muslim? Yes. Are all of them? No. Some dentists are Muslim. Some clergymen are Muslim (Imams). Yes, we need to include radicalized Muslims when we look at facets of terrorism, but we don't need to cruelly draw a line and act as if mass shootings and terrorist attacks are committed exclusively by Muslims. They are not. I doubt even the majority are.

Lol because it's a "religion of peace," right? Also, religion is a personal choice, as are the sickening actions of some Muslims, as well as the sickening beliefs of many Muslims.

Mental illness is not a choice. To compare the 2 is asinine.

• Downvote 1

Lol because it's a "religion of peace," right? Also, religion is a personal choice, as are the sickening actions of some Muslims, as well as the sickening beliefs of many Muslims.

Mental illness is not a choice. To compare the 2 is asinine.

No, because its a religion like any other and the majority of worshipers just want to live their lives. When did you become such a breitbart-spouting fuck?

• Upvote 1

However, what floors me in this thread is the utter hypocrisy expressed by Bware and those who agree with him, who on the one hand believe that mass shootings are a complex problem with a multifaceted solution- I happen to agree with that, although I think gun control is one step towards that solution- and in the same post turn around and claim that terrorist attacks can be solved by banning Muslims.

Do you guys seriously not hear how utterly hypocritical you sound?

Fair enough.

I didn't read those posts tbh, so I didn't realize there was some sarcasm floating around. I saw ban *insert demographic* and tuned out.