Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Bucs going back to Gruden?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9347/dirk-koetter

Multiple league sources tell The Ringers Mike Lombardi that Bucs coach Dirk Koetters job is in jeopardy.

"I think we can officially put Dirk Koetter on the hot seat. Nobody outside the NFL is talking about it, but everybody I talk to in the NFL is and they think its going to end up being over for Koetter if he doesnt get this turned around." The Bucs have lost 5-of-6 games and are averaging nine points over the last three weeks. Its a huge disappointment given Tampas roster and expectations going into the season. Barring a strong finish, Koetter looks unlikely to be back in 2018.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9270/jon-gruden

Pewter Reports Scott Reynolds believes theres "interest on both sides" between the Bucs and Jon Gruden.

Gruden has been out of the league since getting fired from Tampa in 2008. Hes turned down multiple offers from teams, but hasnt ruled out a return to coaching. With Dirk Koetter on the hot seat, its possible the Bucs reunite with Gruden after the season. Tampa has a franchise quarterback in Jameis Winston and a playoff-caliber roster. There are behind-the-scene rumors the Bucs are the job Gruden wants.

Oh man... Bucs are gonna be bad for a looooooong time.

• Upvote 1

idk man, some people overrate Gruden but he's a pretty good coach. It didn't end well in Tampa Bay and yeah he won with Dungy's team, but could Dungy have gotten enough out of that offense to finish the job and win the ring? I'm not so sure and it's not like the Raiders weren't pretty much his team. It would suck to see Gruden leave the booth though. I think he's pretty hilarious.

This comes up every year, but I've yet to hear a convincing argument of why Gruden would leave the booth. Maybe he has the itch to get back into the competition, but I don't think I've heard anyone say that and he seems to be perfectly happy in his analyst role with his camps filling in the coaching end. I just don't see why someone would leave one of the lowest pressure positions in the business for one of the highest pressure positions, especially since with Gruden I don't think it'd come with much of a pay raise. He's already making $6.5M, which would put him among the highest paid coaches in the league. Only reason this makes sense is if ESPN is actually collapsing (which I don't think is the case) and he's jumping while he can.

If Gruden were to leave the booth, the Bucs job would be the one that would entice him. He lives in Tampa and his family is there so it's easy there and he loves the team despite being fired a decade ago. I would think he would also be enticed with a young QB like Jameis, but details on this allegation he's facing could make things nasty. Who knows, I'd honestly prefer to give Dirk another season instead of continuing this Cleveland like carousel of coaches but I keep telling my friends that this seems like the typical Buc way of stuff going down.

Is the GM's job under question, or just Koetters?

Is the GM's job under question, or just Koetters?

​I don't think you can justify firing Koetter without firing Licht. I just don't think a GM should be allowed to survive the firing of two different HCs. Especially since there are reports that he was pretty slimey about throwing Lovie under the bus to ownership to get Koetter promoted.

​If Gruden indeed is coming back, there's no way he's coming in without who he wants in the FO. What really concerns me is he'll likely push for as much power as he can get and I'm not sure that is the way to go. I'd prefer someone to come in as president of operations or something to oversee the personnel side of things and hire coaches and build a philosophy from there. But if Koetter is indeed fired, there is no doubt in my mind the Glazers will be crawling back to Gruden and he may just decide to do it.