Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Raiders fire DC Ken Norton

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/story.asp?i=20171121172658975194110&ref=hea&tm=&src=NFL

(TSX / STATS) -- Unhappy with their scuffling defense, the Oakland Raiders parted ways with defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. on Tuesday.

Raiders coach Jack Del Rio elevated defensive assistant John Pagano to the defensive coordinator position.

"I have the utmost respect for Ken as a person and as a coach, but I feel that moving John Pagano into the play-calling role will best utilize his wealth of experience," Del Rio said in a statement. "I appreciate Ken's passion and commitment to the Raiders since coming aboard and wish him the best going forward."

Oakland surrendered 33 points to the defending champion New England Patriots in a 25-point loss Sunday in Mexico City. The Raiders have allowed 247 points (24.7 per game) this season, tied for 11th-most in the NFL.

The Raiders are ranked 26th in the NFL in total defense, giving up 367.0 yards per game, but their biggest issues have been on pass defense and failing to create turnovers.

Through 10 games, the Raiders don't have a single interception -- the longest any team has gone without one -- and opposing quarterbacks are completing 72.3 percent of their passes with a passer rating of 113.3.

Norton had served as the Raiders' defensive coordinator since Feb. 6, 2015.

"He made some good points while he was here," defensive tackle Justin Ellis said of Norton. "We played under our talent level, and those things come with consequences."

Pagano was defensive coordinator of the San Diego Chargers from 2012-16 before being fired. He is in his 22nd NFL season.

The Raiders (4-6), who went 12-4 and finished second in the AFC West last season, are currently tied for second in the division with the Los Angeles Chargers. Oakland hosts the Denver Broncos on Sunday.

No picks through 11 weeks. :notbad:

Should've happened a season ago.

Downing put on the hot seat now.

Wasn't a huge fan of Pagano in SD, though to be honest. He likes to Prevent you from winning late in games.

I heard on the radio that Del Rio is really the defensive play-caller/schemer, and Norton is being used as a scapegoat. Supposedly a lot of Raiders defensive players are pissed.