Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Difference Betwen PSU and Tennessee

I understand nobody has proof Schiano knew anything about the Sandusky scandal while he was at PSU but I wouldn't want anyone who could have even possibly helped cover up that shit coaching MY team. A bunch of LOSERS at PSU still want the fucking Paterno statue put back up.

I think if Nick Saban was at penn state and had the same rumors, with that little evidence around him, Tennessee fans would love to have him.

• Upvote 2

In theory, I agree, but I'm more concerned about how the higher-ups at Tennessee backed out of their coaching arrangement with Schiano based on social media reaction. Is this really where we are in society? The inmates are running the asylum.

Yeah, I'm not sure they would've backed out if the fans just bitched from a football perspective. It is kinda shitty that they used 4th hand allegations where the guy just said he "maybe knew" to make their point. That being said, we don't need to rely on allegations like this to know that schiano is a piece of shit, so I'm not gonna shed any tears for him.

As horrible a crime as molesting children is and as long as it went on, I personally wouldn't even interview anyone who was involved with that program. You're telling me after all those years that only 1 guy saw anything? Keep in mind that a lot of people stayed on that program for a lot of years. I think it might be even harder to believe that they wouldn't have told anyone after seeing something like that.

Anyway because of that and the gravity of that situation, I wouldn't even give anyone that was there an interview point blank period.

It wasn't the fans that caused any change. I mean, maybe it impacted it slightly. But what mattered the most is boosters, state representatives and former players outright protesting it. Numerous people who donate serious cash to the university said if Schiano was hired, their money would no longer be going to the university.

And I don't think it really does matter that Schiano is a meh-head coach at best. This is the same group of boosters/former players/fans/etc that gave retards like Butch Jones and Derek Dooley their support and a chance to do something despite knowing they were mediocre at best football coaches.

So no, it's certainly not "oh they're only doing this cause the coach sucks".

• Upvote 1

Butch Jones was a hot mid-major head coaching candidate when Tennessee hired him. No one knew how he'd do as a P5 coach at the time.

As far as Dooley goes, I remember a lot of people being pissed with the hire. Tennessee fans just don't have the tolerance for anything less than a home run hire now, but they aren't getting one. This is going to be really ugly. Especially if Tennessee now owes Greg the $20 million in the deal they signed.

Butch Jones was a hot mid-major head coaching candidate when Tennessee hired him. No one knew how he'd do as a P5 coach at the time.

As far as Dooley goes, I remember a lot of people being pissed with the hire. Tennessee fans just don't have the tolerance for anything less than a home run hire now, but they aren't getting one. This is going to be really ugly. Especially if Tennessee now owes Greg the $20 million in the deal they signed.

I don't think you're remembering the Butch Jones hire very well. He was Tennessee's 5th and last choice that season. Charlie Strong, Jon Gruden, Larry Fedora and Mike Gundy all turned us down. He was most certainly not considered a good hire.

Just like Greg Schiano was our last choice again this year, Mullen turned us down to go to Florida, Campbell's buyout was considered too much for an unproven P5 coach, etc, etc.

The 20 million thing doesn't seem to be true, but even if it turns out to be, Tennessee has one of the richest athletic departments in the country. Actually 2nd richest in total revenue before factoring in boosters, but we probably fall behind some Texas schools and Bama after boosters get involved. Either way, we can afford to pay whatever we want to whoever we want for whatever we want.

Just no one wants to come here under this incompetent leadership.

Tennessee is a dumpster fire of a program, but I'm glad we're not adding a guy who covers up child rape and is a piece of shit human being even outside of that allegation to our dumpster fire.

If you have such a problem with Schiano, then I assume you want the program to cut ties with Peyton Manning as well, since there is much more reason to believe he committed sexual assault than there are to the Schiano allegations.

• Upvote 1

If you have such a problem with Schiano, then I assume you want the program to cut ties with Peyton Manning as well, since there is much more reason to believe he committed sexual assault than there are to the Schiano allegations.

I have no use for Peyton and wouldn't give the slightest shit if we did cut ties with him.

"No use for"? So you're saying the sexual assault is graded on a curve of how much they help the program. This still seems like the main problem with schiano was his coaching or his bs with Tampa. Not what happened at penn state.

"No use for"? So you're saying the sexual assault is graded on a curve of how much they help the program. This still seems like the main problem with schiano was his coaching or his bs with Tampa. Not what happened at penn state.

I've never looked in to the Peyton issue in depth. From the "cliffnotes" I have seen it's unclear what he did to the woman, and there have been several different court battles over it. The first one being a settlement, then them suing each other on different occasions for talking about the case after being instructed not to.

And what I'm saying is I have no use for Peyton being around the UT program. And he doesn't even help the program. He's just a face of it. And he's been probably it's biggest face since letting Fulmer go, and we've done nothing but be dogshit at football since he's been the face. So if we're grading on a curve of how much they help the program, then he would have been gone a long time ago, cause he hasn't done shit for us.

I have no idea why the UT fan base or program is obsessed with a guy who never even won a national title anyway, regardless of his off the field conduct. He choked in a lot of the big games he played here. But you can ask anyone who knows me at all and they'll tell you I've never cared for having Peyton being associated with UT football so heavily. A guy like Reggie White or General Neyland, or with them having passed away, Phillip Fulmer is who should be the face of our program.

But we haven't done much of anything right in the past decade anyway, so here we are.

Gonna be sad when Matt Campbell leaves for greener pastures but you better be sure he is worth every penny of a nearly $10M buyout

Against popular opinion but I actually think Schiano is a good college coach. The PSU drama is nonsense, and as Air said the real reason there was pushback from the boosters as apparently Jimmy Haslem was the one pedaling Schiano.

Edited by BJORN

I've never really understood, "he had a .500 record at Rutgers so he's a bad coach." He took over a bad program and turned them around, had a record well over .500 in his last few years there.

I think he was awful as an NFL coach, but then so was Chip Kelly, Nick Saban, and plenty of others.

And maybe this is just me being naive, but I'm somewhat getting fed up with a single accusation backed up by zero evidence being enough to destroy someone's career.

I get it with cases like Weinstein and Moore, there's a ton of accusations, where there is smoke there is likely fire.

This guy had someone claim somebody else told him Schiano told him that he saw Sandusky doing something. Double hearsay.

Both Schiano and the person he claimed told him about Schiano have denied that he ever said that or that anything happened.

I think he was awful as an NFL coach, but then so was Chip Kelly, Nick Saban, and plenty of others.

And maybe this is just me being naive, but I'm somewhat getting fed up with a single accusation backed up by zero evidence being enough to destroy someone's career.

Don't worry than. Like I said, the Sandusky thing is nothing more than an excuse for Tennessee fans to say why they don't want schiano that makes it into a moral issue rather than a Chicago one.

Though I would like to point out that schiano is nothing like Saban or Kelly (though to be fair I'm still a Chip Kelly believer). He covered up staph infections, spread false rumors about a player having a coke problem, and encouraged his players to try to hurt others. He's a bad person even if he had nothing to do with Sandusky.

Don't worry than. Like I said, the Sandusky thing is nothing more than an excuse for Tennessee fans to say why they don't want schiano that makes it into a moral issue rather than a Chicago one.

Though I would like to point out that schiano is nothing like Saban or Kelly (though to be fair I'm still a Chip Kelly believer). He covered up staph infections, spread false rumors about a player having a coke problem, and encouraged his players to try to hurt others. He's a bad person even if he had nothing to do with Sandusky.

Fine, but that is not what the outrage was supposedly about.

I think this was a planned coup of that AD by the UT boosters. The "allegations" simply provided a very convenient time to launch it. This whole fiasco makes UT's athletic department and the boosters look like idiots. I can't believe people got this worked up by this situation.

That being said, rumors tennesse is talking to mike gundy. If they get him, all will be forgiven

Mike holding out for that FSU job.