Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

2018 Coaching Carousel

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette suggests there's a real possibility the Steelers move on from OC Todd Haley.

Haley does not have a contract for 2018, and his relationship with Ben Roethlisberger became increasingly fractured in 2017. One Steelers source told the Post-Gazette that one of the reasons Big Ben openly contemplated retirement was his failing rapport with Haley. The two "rarely talked along the sidelines," and "never huddled to discuss strategy" during games. Roethlisberger reportedly requested QBs coach Randy Fichtner to come down from the booth to create a game-day "buffer" between the quarterback and Pittsburgh's OC. Fichtner is reportedly a "strong candidate" to replace Haley if he isn't re-signed.

Seahawks hired Ken Norton as defensive coordinator.

Norton coached the Seahawks' linebackers from 2010-2014 and is a "comfortable" hire, reuniting with Pete Carroll. He signed a deal on January 8 to work as the 49ers' assistant head coach/linebackers, but Norton can break that contract for a higher-up position. Norton coordinated abominable defenses in Oakland the past two years. After his firing this past season, the Raiders' defense played better down the stretch under John Pagano. Both of Seattle's coordinator hires -- including OC Brian Schottenheimer -- have been thoroughly uninspiring.

Legion of Boom is officially dead. LmaoSeachickens. Weep.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Vikings OC Pat Shurmur has emerged as the Giants' "top choice" to replace Ben McAdoo.

Per Rapsheet, Shurmur will accept the job if offered. The move cannot be formalized until the Vikings are eliminated from the playoffs. Mike Garafolo reports the Giants have been impressed by Shurmur's success with multiple quarterbacks in Minnesota. Shurmur, who previously coached the Browns, would be a low-wattage hire, but his reputation has remained strong in league circles.
Related: Giants

Arizona is screwed with that news. Not sure where they go now

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000907026/article/giants-expected-to-hire-pat-shurmur-as-head-coach?campaign=fb-nf-sf179286689-sf179286689&sf179286689=1&utm_source=m.facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

Giants expected to hire Pat Shurmur as head coach

The New York Giants have zeroed in on their new head coach.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Big Blue is expected to hire Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur as the team's new coach, per a source informed of the decision.

Shurmur cannot negotiate or sign with the Giants until the Vikings are eliminated from the playoffs. Minnesota heads to Philadelphia to take on the Eagles in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday.

Shurmur, 52, became a hot coaching candidate due to his work with quarterback Case Keenum this season, and Sam Bradford last year after taking over for Norv Turner midway through the campaign.

As the Vikings OC, Shurmur led Keenum and the offense to a top-10 rating in points per game (10th, 23.9), rushing yards per game (seventh, 122.3) and third-down conversion rate (third, 43.5). Minnesota finished 11th in passing yards per game with 234.6.

Shurmur's work with the quarterbacks in Minnesota makes him an ideal pairing in New York, where Eli Manning nears the end of his run, and Big Blue must find the next franchise signal-caller.

The Giants will mark the second stint for Shurmur as a head coach. He spent two seasons with the Cleveland Browns in 2011-2012, compiling a 9-23 record.

Since then, he's worked under Chip Kelly in Philadelphia (2013-2015) and Mike Zimmer in Minnesota (2016-2017). Shurmur displayed adaptability in each circumstance, adding elements from Kelly's offense when he took over in Minnesota. The Vikings deployed one of the most balanced offensive operations in the NFL this season.

Shurmur's ability to coax production out of Keenum -- left for dead under Jeff Fisher last season -- and his work with unheralded players such as receiver Adam Thielen should be a boon for a Giants offensive attack that was one of the worst in the NFL under Ben McAdoo and sans Odell Beckham Jr. in 2017. The latter is already "geeked" over the hire.

Shurmur also interviewed with the Arizona Cardinals and Detroit Lions.

Josh McDaniels to Indy confirmed.

A league source told Titan Insider that Eagles OC Frank Reich is a candidate for Tennessee's head-coaching vacancy.

If he were to bring Flippo and Swartz with him that would be awesome. It's either Reich or Lafleur for me on whose left. I know we looking at Vrabel but honestly he doesn't have enough coaching experience yet IMO

If he were to bring Flippo and Swartz with him that would be awesome. It's either Reich or Lafleur for me on whose left. I know we looking at Vrabel but honestly he doesn't have enough coaching experience yet IMO

You would be lucky to get 1 coach from Philadelphia your not getting 3 of them

Haley is out in Pittsburgh. I called this happening last night. Rooney is gonna let Haley go to buy Tomlin 1 more year in spite of mounting pressure from investors in the Steelers' ownership group.

2018 hot seat, meet Mike Tomlin. Looking like the end of the road for the "frontrunning pussies" as Zack likes to say.

• Upvote 2

I just updated the OP, we're basically done at this point as the only two vacancies left (Colts and Lions) are expected to hire the Patriots' coordinators after the Super Bowl, so, thoughts?

Eric Washington is the new Panthers DC, former D-line coach. Like this promotion a lot.

I just updated the OP, we're basically done at this point as the only two vacancies left (Colts and Lions) are expected to hire the Patriots' coordinators after the Super Bowl, so, thoughts?

This has been the most ho-hum group of coaching carousel changes in recent memory. None of these new hires resonate much with me, and I totally expect to see a lot of these guys/teams back on the carousel much sooner rather than later.

Lions hired Patriots DC Matt Patricia as head coach.

A Patriots assistant since 2004, Patricia had coordinated the defense since 2012. He's being hired by GM Bob Quinn, who overlapped with Patricia for 11 years in New England. Thanks in part to his aeronautical engineering degree from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Patricia arrives with a reputation for being cerebral. Part of that is just the afterglow of coaching under Bill Belichick, who is famously adaptable/multiple on defense. Only 43 years old, Patricia is the latest in a long line of ex-Pats tasked with building a Belichick clone. The Lions haven't won a playoff game since the 1991 season.

okay, so now the carousel has actually stopped, interestingly we have the same number of OCs as DCs getting jobs, though I suppose it skews toward offense when you factor in Gruden, I feel really good about the Titans with Vrabel and LaFleur, though I have a bad feeling LaFleur isn't going to be here very long before someone gives him a HC job