Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Perception--Actual Reality vs. Individual Illusion

I've been thinking about the concept of perception lately, most often about the way our supposedly progressive societies perceive reality as individuals. It seems we're hell bent on letting each individual decide what reality is as opposed to expecting grown adults to be able to decipher truths.

I'll dive deeper in a follow up post. Anybody else think about these things?

Everybody creates their own reality to an extent, man. Most people will change once they fall on their face a couple times but what you have to understand is that not everybody's reality is the same as yours is because circumstances can and do effect peoples lives. Just imagine how different your life and your outlook would be if you grew up in foster care instead with your parents. What if you were born in Camden New Jersey (a shithole city) instead of North Dakota. Our life experience shapes our perception as we go on throughout life. All this shit is made up anyway if your really think about it, money, society. I mean, it serves a purpose but it's all just made up. You should try LCD or mushrooms, dawg.

Edited by seanbrock

I'm not talking about life circumstances so much as realities that are not subjective.

Victimhood, sex, personal responsibility, etc.

You're either a victim or you aren't. Your sex is what it is regardless of how you feel about it. When you fail, it's likely you that's accountable and not somebody else. And that's just a starter.

The individual does not get to decide what reality is, so why do we entertain such notions? Reality is what it is no matter what the individual feels or what illusions he or she has created.

That's not a black and white statement. It's the truth.

Edited by BwareDWare94

"Your sex is what it is regardless of how you feel about it" is either an unneeded captain obvious statement, or a completely ignorant statement that flies in the face of what we know to be fact psychologically speaking.

So, for you to clarify, you merely have to answer one question: Are sex and gender the same thing?

Edited by Thanatos

So, for you to clarify, you merely have to answer one question: Are sex and gender the same thing?

I'm gonna chime in on this. I have no fucking clue what gender is. I've heard the same leftist advocate say that it is just the cultural norms of the sexes, yet another time they will say that it is an observable and measurable reality, and finally come in with it's basically just personal identity.

I'm not convinced gender is an actual thing. This doesn't at all impact how I view transgender people, like I said they can live their lives how they want to and it doesn't bother me. But gender seems like a made up concept based on the arguments people have presented to me defending its existence. Doesn't seem like it's anything more than a person's identity.

Edit: I guess to clarify... "made up concept" basically means that it's a fancy label for personal identity that has no actual significance, and in fact has been bloated up extremes.

Edited by OSUViking

From our perspective, we experience ourselves to have control and are responsible for everything that we do. That's because this is how we experience reality from our own point of view. But in a world where there are leaders and people in control who are able to deny everyone equal opportunities, it's dangerous to assume this is the reality of everyone.

This is something my dad and definitely to an extension myself as well struggles with. Everything is from his point of view, and it's difficult for him to step outside of that and realize there are different perspectives. That's my inclination, took a bit of a conscious approach for me to consistently start trying to consider that there are different reactions to everything.

7 billion+ people on the planet and we're all different.

"Your sex is what it is regardless of how you feel about it" is either an unneeded captain obvious statement, or a completely ignorant statement that flies in the face of what we know to be fact psychologically speaking.

No, because gender doesn't actually exist. It's just a social construct. A person's sex is biological.

The truth is you are unable to accept that people have way different experiences than you do... and no, reality is not the same for everyone.

In one classroom I might have 3 or 4 kids from super wealthy families, and, if they so chose, they would never have to work a day in their lives. I have working young adults with careers who pay to come to my school out of their own pockets. And I have kids from families who scrape together everything they can every month just to make sure their children have the opportunity to make their lives better and learn English.

Are you really telling me you are backward enough to believe that reality is the same for all of these young men and women? I'm here to tell you that you couldn't be further from "reality" (how ironic) if you tried.

I'm not talking about life experience as reality. I'm talking about things that are the same for everyone and the way we're trying to allow people to say that they aren't despite overwhelming evidence

Before we continue, would you agree that no matter what your definition of reality is, the way people live their lives in their surroundings affects that reality? It really doesn't matter what issue you look at. Life experiences shape the way we think about everything we encounter in our lives.

• Upvote 1

Of course. We've never been not on the same page on that point.

The general topic of this thread, and I tried to keep the original post of this thread short as opposed to a TL;DR that would derail the thread before it even began, is that we have issues with grown adults creating false perceptions in place of what reality dictates. I think that's a problem that we should nip in the bud now.

Of course. We've never been not on the same page on that point.

The general topic of this thread, and I tried to keep the original post of this thread short as opposed to a TL;DR that would derail the thread before it even began, is that we have issues with grown adults creating false perceptions in place of what reality dictates. I think that's a problem that we should nip in the bud now.

Suppose you're right. How do you propose we "nip this in the butt." lol

No, because gender doesn't actually exist. It's just a social construct. A person's sex is biological.

Hoo boy. One other thing first before we get into this:

When someone is transgender, are they lying, suffering from a mental problem, or something else?

Edited by Thanatos

They most certainly aren't lying, but they also aren't definitively not ill in any way, as evidenced by depression and suicide rates among transgender people. We don't know what they are. I don't want to call it mental illness, but we can't say for sure that it isn't illness, either. Treatment and therapy + acceptance is our best route.

That being said, their sex is biological.

Time to pull out Ed Burnays again

Your dad should have pulled out.

• Upvote 1

I don't give a fuck what anyone says, that trans shit is a serious mental illness. But since this country is full of a bunch of overly sensitive PC cunts, society is trying to dictate that it's 'normal' and that it should be fully accepted. I can accept gays and lesbians, but I can't accept these transgender fucking weirdos. Motherfuckers have a mental illness. Get the fuck out of here.

• Upvote 1

They most certainly aren't lying, but they also aren't definitively not ill in any way, as evidenced by depression and suicide rates among transgender people. We don't know what they are. I don't want to call it mental illness, but we can't say for sure that it isn't illness, either. Treatment and therapy + acceptance is our best route.

That being said, their sex is biological.

"Are not definitively not ill" is the most vague cop-out statement I've heard out of you. Say what you mean, Bware, don't dance around the issue. Merely because they have a higher suicide rate is meaningless as far as proof of mental illness because there are too many variables involved. Many of them face immense bullying and societal pressure from family and friends to conform, which can lead to increased suicide. I know you think bullying doesn't lead to suicide, but on that you are dead wrong.

When you say they need treatment + therapy, what are you claiming is the goal of such treatment? To make them not be transgender? To prevent them from having to transition?

Edited by Thanatos

"Are not definitively not ill" is the most vague cop-out statement I've heard out of you. Say what you mean, Bware, don't dance around the issue. Merely because they have a higher suicide rate is meaningless as far as proof of mental illness because there are too many variables involved. Many of them face immense bullying and societal pressure from family and friends to conform, which can lead to increased suicide. I know you think bullying doesn't lead to suicide, but on that you are dead wrong.

When you say they need treatment + therapy, what are you claiming is the goal of such treatment? To make them not be transgender? To prevent them from having to transition?

The vast, vast majority of suicides have little to do with bullying and societal pressure, so I don't think we can point to a 40% suicide rate and say "it's because people are mean to them!" Healthy people don't off themselves over assholes. There's something wrong internally and despite our ridiculous efforts to normalize such things, we're still failing these people devastatingly. Find the cause, treat it, and foster a society where peers understand it's a condition that the individual can't help.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I'm still struggling to get this thread's point through two and a half pages.

• Upvote 2