Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Modern Dating

^ :dying:

please respond to the mental health thread my friend :lol:

Yeah who needs to be loyal? It bothers me too.

^ :dying:

please respond to the mental health thread my friend :lol:

If you'd bother to actually read it you'd see I pretty clearly said 'undesirable' or different behaviors (which to me intuitively includes beliefs) does not indicate mental health issues by themselves.

You've played yourself.

If you'd bother to actually read it you'd see I pretty clearly said 'undesirable' or different behaviors (which to me intuitively includes beliefs) does not indicate mental health issues by themselves.

You've played yourself.

Think BC was replying to the troll, not you.

Think BC was replying to the troll, not you.

He was responding to PE afaik. My point still stands. I've personally met people who think and believe similar things to PE, the thought that they were mentally ill never crossed my mind.

It's a convenient scapegoat to dismiss ideas that someone has no interest in discussing.

• Upvote 1

Commitment is just another choice,not a moral obligation.Have fun with who ever you can,when ever you can. Or you'll regret every missed opportunity later in life.

I agree with this, and I think we can extrapolate the logic to parenthood as well.

I have grown up with expectations from peers and family that I'd pass on my family's name or give my parents grandchildren. I can't really ever recall being excited about having a kid. It literally screams unwanted obligation to me. It took dogsitting the most attention-needy dog I've ever encountered for FIVE DAYS to realize that I'd be an awful parent who would probably cause attachment issues with my child.

So yeah, unless I suddenly stop valuing alone time as much, or I get more patient with people (especially the emotional outbursts to be expected from infants, toddlers, and children), or suddenly have more energy to deal with people (this last one is never happening, period), I'm not going to delve into parenthood. Just not for me. Luckily, it seems my girlfriend feels the same way.

Edited by OSUViking

another class system/ culture war.

you didnt get married..you didnt have a kid.? what kind odd loser are you? IE why arent you making yourself endlessly tired,day in,day out,like me.

sure, its special if you can handle it and its a bond my mom has with me.

my best friends are 5 brothers (brothers of each other,not mine) who all have huge families.Loving and close family.

they maybe think I didnt accomplish something but they also envy my freedom.. but they cant admit it lol

get up-go to work-go to school-pick up the kids-take them to practice-go to the grocery store- dad,I need this/that.

now,if it were 200 years ago..having a kid isnt so bad. Its all the legal and time obligations that make it a hassle now.

I think the consolidation of society into industrialized nations focused on the collective productivity has had a lot of negative effects on humans in general. It doesn't seem like we are wired to live this kind of way productively. The more I try and analyze my own experiences, and try to keep others in perspective, it seems like this kind of society has done nothing but breed toxic and negative behaviors to this day. Humans more and more are transitioning into ways of thinking that adapt to the system, rather than adapting the system to how humans tend to behave.

All for the sake of productivity.

• Upvote 2

I actually met someone during the semester in my major. She's quite cool, puts up with my dark humor, and was very understanding when I shared my diagnosis. Basically anyone that doesn't have their heads shoved up social media's ass is cool in my book.

That being said, if I hadn't stumbled upon her, I'd still be single. I really do enjoy her company but I can't imagine I'll find someone so patient anytime soon.

Edited by OSUViking

All I'm going to add on this subject is, with the state of dating these days, I'm really glad I met my wife when I did. Being single nowadays sucks.

Trying to date in 2017 is like trying to water a fake plant. It's hands down the most emotionally destructive thing a person with old school values can do. For us men it's nearly impossible to know what to do in a given situation. You start seeing one girl, she gets mad if you give her attention, then if you try to be a little more scaled back with the next girl, her self-esteem drops because you're not talking to her enough. One way or the other, those two relationships didn't work out, and you get blamed for it. Which is fine. I'll move on and wish you well and I'll know the truth. I just wish it didn't have to be so confusing, so emotionally taxing. I can't "play the field." I'm either interested in a (singular) woman or I'm not interested in anybody. I go about my life until someone catches my eye. Every attempt is a shot in the dark with no backup plan.

No. It's about the fucking cuntiness of women.

Women know today that they can get a man to be inside them in SECONDS and it does not matter how ugly they are. Men are desperate in general... and once certain women grasp that concept, they feel that they are top shit regardless of how ugly or shitty of a person they are...

They turn men into dogs and then pick and choose until they find exactly what they want because they have leverage in just about everything... from beginning of meeting at a bar.... to divorce with the kids and house.

I'll be honest man, you're not going to get an argument out of me that women get away with a lot of things that they probably shouldn't. And they have some sort of weird victim culture, that people actually buy into and blame men for, and point fingers at some made-up patriarchy that really doesn't exist to absolve them of all their stupid decisions.

That said, when it comes to Turning men into dogs nobody can do that but men themselves. Yeah somebody may do you wrong, but how you react is up to you. We can't blame women for that, we have to hold ourselves to higher standards. It's all on us.

• Upvote 1

Trying to date in 2017 is like trying to water a fake plant. It's hands down the most emotionally destructive thing a person with old school values can do. For us men it's nearly impossible to know what to do in a given situation. You start seeing one girl, she gets mad if you give her attention, then if you try to be a little more scaled back with the next girl, her self-esteem drops because you're not talking to her enough. One way or the other, those two relationships didn't work out, and you get blamed for it. Which is fine. I'll move on and wish you well and I'll know the truth. I just wish it didn't have to be so confusing, so emotionally taxing. I can't "play the field." I'm either interested in a (singular) woman or I'm not interested in anybody. I go about my life until someone catches my eye. Every attempt is a shot in the dark with no backup plan.

It sounds to me like you don't know how to communicate.

Early on in the relationship, sit down and talk with your partner. Discuss what you're both looking for- a long term commitment, just some fun and games, just sex?

Obviously girls are going to want different things, because they aren't just some bloc that you can use the same strategy with each one of them.

• Upvote 1

I want to bring up something else that I think is relevant to dating, but it also has to do with culture in general these days. If you guys don't see or haven't seen this in your own lives and those around you, that's fine... but I have.

What I am talking about is young people are more indecisive now than ever. We have been getting blasted with information from all sides for the better part of 10 years now, when you think about it. More and more people are looking around and saying... I don't want to commit to this or that because if I do, it closes off all the other options. This applies to dating, work, traveling, food... everything.

It's not that people are always intentionally looking for a better option... it's that even if we are passive, a better option often will present itself to us naturally through the new norm we've started to live in. Although on the other hand, this is precisely what Tinder offers us. We find someone we like, but we don't delete our accounts in case someone even better comes along.

I have learned this the hard way... I've met girls and gotten on well with them from online dating sources... but very quickly they freeze all contact with me and don't respond to my messages. The likeliest outcome is that they have found someone they perceive to be better. For hooking up, Tinder and things in that mold are devastatingly easy and efficient. But if you want to find an old school relationship, you gotta use old school means to find it. IMO.

(Yes, before anyone says anything, I am well aware that people online have married others they met. I think we can agree that these people are the exception and do not follow the normal pattern described above.)

So I told myself that I will no longer participate in online dating. It forced me to become a better and more interesting person so that when girls meet me in real life, rather than online, I can keep their attention. I traveled to another country, learned to speak another language, learned to dance, got a career I enjoy... all of these things added together make me a lot more attractive than I was before. And even if I told someone online about all of those things, they can't really see or know how these things make me a good partner for them.

Anyway, long story short... I think as a whole society has become very indecisive, and that makes things hard in many ways, dating being no exception. We can't change that, but we can overcome it. Let's go back to meeting girls in person. At the very least, it shows you have the balls to pursue her in person while she swipes away the 30th guy this week.

Edited by Sarge
  • Upvote 1

My question is this, and I will use "I" but I mean this in the general sense--what is the point in perceiving "better" if better is almost always superficial and irrelevant? Why would I prefer to date a, say, slightly better looking woman with half the IQ and no definite future of my original partner who is actually twice as attractive as "ooh, shiny object!" when you factor in intelligence, drive, passion, and potential.

You could start assuming most people are idiots until they prove otherwise. It's been decently successful for me.

My question is this, and I will use "I" but I mean this in the general sense--what is the point in perceiving "better" if better is almost always superficial and irrelevant? Why would I prefer to date a, say, slightly better looking woman with half the IQ and no definite future of my original partner who is actually twice as attractive as "ooh, shiny object!" when you factor in intelligence, drive, passion, and potential.

Like I said, for the people who are just into hooking up, this doesn't really matter. But on the other hand, it's hard to use a tool like Tinder to find an old school, committed relationship. If that's what people have started using it for, then no wonder they think dating isn't any good anymore. There are other reasons, too, some that have been stated already in this thread.

Edited by Sarge

It sounds to me like you don't know how to communicate.

Early on in the relationship, sit down and talk with your partner. Discuss what you're both looking for- a long term commitment, just some fun and games, just sex?

Obviously girls are going to want different things, because they aren't just some bloc that you can use the same strategy with each one of them.

I appreciate your honesty. I will be more observant of myself when I interact with women in the future. At the same time, I've always felt I was quite clear and that the majority of the time, my counterparts were dreadful at communication. I'm not certain I'm wrong. Men are taught to "go after what you want" and women are taught to be elusive, mysterious, and to keep men on our toes. We need to drop these silly guidelines.

I'm always down to Eiffel Tower.

16 year old girls are a lot different than they were 100+ years ago. Life is a lot different than it was then for a lot of reasons. Propaganda isn't the only catalyst of those changes.

No person under the age of 25 is even close to ready for the kind of commitment marriage requires, not at this point in time. Childhood has become perpetual.

• Upvote 1

Is it a lost cause trying to convince Bware to not generalize young people? Starting to seem so...

• Upvote 1