Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Bill O'Brien vs. Rick Smith

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9277/bill-obrien

The Houston Chronicle reports the Texans are likely to fire either Bill O'Brien or GM Rick Smith after the season.

O'Brien has a "toxic" relationship with Smith, leaving owner Bob McNair needing to decide between them going forward. This isn't anything new O'Brien was rumored to be on the hot seat last offseason for the same reasons but the situation is at a point of no return. O'Brien has already been linked to the Cardinals and Giants, and would be one of the top coaches available if fired. He also has ties to the front offices in Detroit and Tennessee.

Just curious what TGP thinks of this situation from an outsider's perspective. Personally any scenario where Rick Smith gets fired even if it means also firing O'Brien is good with me.

If they keep Rick Smith and fire O'Brien, I'm turning in my fan card and never supporting the Texans again. I'll just be a fan of players and no teams. I think O'Brien is a really good coach that has just endured a stupid amount of injuries this year that destroyed the season.

Rick Smith on the other hand, has been average at best but has also let a lot of good young talent walk while settling for aging vets that basically put the Texans where they are in the first place.

http://www.khou.com/mobile/article/sports/nfl/texans/texans-now-have-highest-contract-value-on-injured-reserve/502273833

Anyways, rant over. What do you guys think?

I agree, when I heard BOB was on the hotseat after this year I was very confused. He has his QB, give him a full year with Watson at least before you can him.

Rick Smith is a very average GM at best. If one of them has to go it should be Smith.

• Upvote 1

Yea, I don't really understand why they would get rid of O'Brien. It wasn't his fault that Houston had no talent at QB before this season. Now you finally get him a great QB to work with, they put up huge numbers and look like a formidable team, Watson goes down, and that equates to firing O'Brien?

UMMMMM. No.

• Upvote 1

Watson has looked like a franchise quarterback under O'Brien. It would be ridiculous to let him go. I'm not a big Smith fan, but I think he earned another year with the drafting of Watson. Let's see what Houston can do with a year of good health before either of them bite the bullet. If we're forced to have one go? Eh... I'm mixed. O'Brien hasn't had any success so far, but he's been rolling out Osweiler and Savage. Either way, if Houston doesn't come correct next year there is no chance they get past Tennessee or Jacksonville in the standings.

• Upvote 1

How much credit does Rick Smith get for building up the rest of the team and drafting Watson?

I feel like the Texans have had a strong roster for a while outside of QB (the hardest position to fill).

I am a big believer in BOB so it is hard for to say he should go. One gripe is I don't feel he utilizes Lamar Miller correctly as I rarely see them run him outside the tackles. (Could be wrong, just my observation)

So depending on your answer to my question, I say keep both for now. If they truly cannot work together, I say find a new GM and see what he wants to do. I do hope they keep O'Brien though.

• Upvote 2

Bill created like three 9-7 teams with trash at QB, lol. Trade him to Pittsburgh for Tomlin.

This. That being said, the Texans have passed on several quality QBs over the years, and I'd like to know who is responsible for that. They finally pulled the trigger with Watson and are about to be rewarded. O'Brien may not be a perfect coach but it's not fair to fire him now.

Also, Smith is taking a "leave of absence" and Nick Caserio (Patriots) is already a favorite to replace him. But how long will this leave of absence last?

• Upvote 1

If the Texans fired O'Brien...

Man that would be the second dumbest thing this off-season after the Bengals. Watson is the future that they've been waiting for. They need another good offseason tho, IMO.

Watson was running for his life behind that line and they don't seem to have a legitimate run game due to that. Defensively they are set..

Why fuck up a good thing?

• Upvote 1

Also, Smith is taking a "leave of absence" and Nick Caserio (Patriots) is already a favorite to replace him. But how long will this leave of absence last?

His wife has breast cancer, but she was diagnosed back in September, so it seems like O'Brien won this battle and the Texans are letting Rick Smith save face and receive a possible "promotion" that will basically relieve him of GM duties. Supposedly Rick Smith is the godfather to Cal McNair's children, so I doubt they kick him out of the organization entirely.

I'd love it if they get Caserio from New England, and I'm guessing they'll settle for Brian Gaine (who was with the team before joining Buffalo) if Caserio declines. Either way this looks like the right move for the Texans. I'm happy. :yep:

Edited by FartWaffles

One gripe is I don't feel he utilizes Lamar Miller correctly as I rarely see them run him outside the tackles. (Could be wrong, just my observation)

I don't know what to think about Lamar Miller to be honest... He was brought in to be a bellcow after he was criminally underutilized in Miami, but it's looking like he just can't carry the heavy load. Honestly the Texans' o-line is so bad though that it's hard to really penalize any RB running behind that poor excuse of a line...

He and D'Onta Foreman looked they like they were forming a pretty good one-two punch before Foreman landed on IR. Worst part is the Texans don't have any picks in the Top 64 and they need to address the o-line badly if they want the running game to be successful, and even more importantly for Watson to stay upright.