Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Raiders hire HC Jon Gruden

Well, it's going to be interesting... maybe not the kind of interesting the Raiders want, but we'll see.

Do people just forget why Gruden has been in the booth for almost a decade? He got fired (traded) to the Buccaneers... The year after he left, Raiders QB Rich Gannon was league MVP.. lmao. Bucs got lucky with a really shitty offense and great defense and win a SB... Bucs slowly get worse and worse as the defense ages and they can't replace the pieces. Offense still sucked and he was fired.

Why is it going to be any different now?

• Upvote 2

My biggest question is how much say over personnel Gruden has. Part of the reason, in my humble opinion, his Bucs teams declined in talent was because he had increasingly larger say over personnel. Do you guys remember when he had something like six QBs on his roster?

Can Gruden and Reggie McKenzie coexist in a way where McKenzie handles the roster? Because he has demonstrated he's a pretty darn good GM. Hand the keys to Gruden and I think you're looking at a spectacular meltdown in Vegas.

Really curious to see the transition. While I could be wrong, I feel like there is a LOT that Gruden has learned from spending so much time in the booth. He has a lot of connections and a lot of info that other coaches might not have had access to while he was working for ESPN. We saw John Lynch come in with some fire and energy as the SF GM. Wonder if Jon will come in with that same kind of fire.

Reggie denied a request to interview for the Packers GM job -- which makes me think that his power won't be diminished much if at all. Granted, that's easy to say right now. Who knows what kind of power struggles could break out in the future.

I'm excited for this :yep:

100 million for him lulz. What a fugging joke that Mark Davis guy is.

Belichick should be demanding 1 billion from Kraft or he is walking.

I'm just mad he won't be calling MNF games drunk anymore lol.

I cant for the life of me understand this mans allure. I have thought about this for a while now, and it still does not make any sense.

He served under Seifert who served under Bill Walsh in San Francisco which is something because he can learn from a true innovator of offense, and he would have an intricate knowledge of the West coast offense. That being said he was there for one year as an assistant and Bill Walsh was not even there. Also the offense had roger Craig, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, and Tom Rathman. If you cant scheme that as a coach, you blow.

Then Pittsburgh as a WR coach, there WR's were ass that year and every year. Bubby Brister was no helo I am sure though.

Then he went to Green Bay with MIKE HOLMGREN. Talk about another brilliant offensive mind. And again on a loaded offensive team, which was loaded before and after he was there.

Then the Eagles which was unremarkable.

Then the Raiders which sucked. They got respectable under Callahan.

Then to where he made his name in Tampa. And by made his name take a loaded defense that Dungy built that was coached by Monte fucking Kiffin, with assistant defensive coaches like Marinelli, and Mike Tomlin. He had an offense that handed the ball of to the bull Mike Alstott and told pittman to follow him when he wasnt carrying it. Occasionally have Johnson throw a pass to Keyshawn Johnson. He then destroyed the roster and came NOWHERE close to that again and set the BUcs in a hole they are just now leaving.

I really dont see who that he is more than a middle of the pack coach based on evidence.

I have a lot to say about this....

But In the meantime... you can find me trying to find the highest point near me to jump.

Rich Gannon declined an offer to become the Raiders QB coach

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman, coach Jon Gruden has "effectively replaced" Reggie McKenzie as the Raiders' general manager.

It's been pretty clear to see when looking at the Raiders' offseason; the team has taken on far more risky players than McKenzie ever did in his time calling the shots, and Gruden is going all out in adding a ton of veterans. Per Freeman, Gruden has "quietly consolidated power to the point where he's effectively the head coach, general manager, CEO and just about everything else." No other coach outside of maybe Bill Belichick has this much say in an organization, and we're not sure what Gruden has done to earn it. If he wins in Oakland it won't matter, but things could get ugly in a hurry if the Raiders don't turn this around immediately. That 10-year, $100 million contract -- the largest in NFL coaching history -- may prove to be a colossal mistake. May 2 - 9:46 AM

Source: Bleacher Report

back too decades of 3-7 wins seasons.