Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Alex Smith on the trade block?

We all know the situation. The Chiefs are already readying themselves for the Pat Mahomes era, Alex Smith has one year left on his deal (a $17M cap hit, not bad for a QB), and now comes an embarrassing playoff loss where the Chiefs have to make changes.

So...where is Alex Smith going? Will he be traded or released? If traded, what draft compensation will the Chiefs get?

33, still playing at a really solid level, but how much time does he have left?

Or have we reached the era where everyone just plays til they're 40 like it's nothing?

I doubt they'd trade him to a division rival, but I feel like the Broncos would be his best fit. If I were to guess, I'd say the going price for Alex Smith probably starts at a 2nd rounder.

33, still playing at a really solid level, but how much time does he have left?

Or have we reached the era where everyone just plays til they're 40 like it's nothing?

Until someone other than Brady does it, I think we still assume QBs play until they're 35-38. So I would say teams should expect 2-3 more years of Smith playing at a high level.

I doubt they'd trade him to a division rival, but I feel like the Broncos would be his best fit. If I were to guess, I'd say the going price for Alex Smith probably starts at a 2nd rounder.

Trade his starting QB to a division rival? Andy Reid would never...

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 2

Trade his starting QB to a division rival? Andy Reid would never...

Ha! Totally forgot about the McNabb/Redskins trade. :yao:

Though I would say Alex Smith has more left in the tank than McNabb did at the time of his trade.

If the Jags are willing to toss Bortles that would be another good fit for Smith.

Apparently the Broncos are really hot on Kirk Cousins, but even in a trade instead of flat out FA -- Smith could come a lot cheaper and is the more consistent option.

As far as places to land... Idk. Maybe Minnesota? They have Bradford and now Keenum but I believe both are FA -- depending how that pans I could see Minnesota getting aggressive for him. Carson Palmer retired, so maybe Zona to transition? Ben Roethlisberger has talked about retiring the last couple of years.. Don't know how serious he is, he is still playing great.. But maybe there as well.

But yes, I think he is definitely on his way out. What I think would be interesting.. if nobody wants to bite on a trade, do you just cut him? I don't think the Chiefs can go into next season with Alex as their backup. That'd be really shitty to do IMO. But cutting a guy who has played as well as him would suck.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

Buffalo seems likely. They have quite a few picks, they need a QB badly :shrug:.