Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Packers Promote Brian Gutekunst to General Manager

The Green Bay Packers have a new general manager, and from his opening press conference on Monday he will have a very different style, both in terms of roster construction and in terms of his presentation to Packers fans.

Gutekunst made it very clear that he plans to approach free agency much more aggressively than his predecessor, Ted Thompson did. After his second year in Green Bay, Thompson barely ever signed an unrestricted free agent from another team, and Gutekunst will take a different approach to building a roster. “There was a foundation of draft, develop, and retain our core players that won’t change a whole lot,” Gutekunst said, “but I do think I will lead in my own personality.”

As far as what that entails, he said that he expects the team to be more agressive “in certain areas,” emphasizing that “we’re not going to leave any stone unturned in terms of player acquisition.”

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/1/8/16864918/expect-packers-gm-brian-gutekunst-to-pursue-free-agency-and-speak-publicly-more

Kind of disappointed Eliot Wolf didn't get the job because it would have been such a cool story... Wolf is being courted by the Browns to work under John Dorsey. But I am happy Russ Ball didn't get it, so whatever.

Enjoyed his interview and expecting big things from the Packers. Now we just need to fill out our coaching staff.

Think the majority of the Packers fans wanted Wolf due to his name and all, but the more I read about Gutekunst the more I like Gutekunst and he does have more experience working in the league. Should be interesting to see what Wolf does though, going to Cleveland would just be a lateral move and can't Green Bay block that? Unless they are willing to let him walk as well. Happy to keep Russ Ball as the money manager as he kept our cap in a pretty good place during his tenure.

Wonder if Gutekunst will do anything about Nelson, Cobb, or Matthews this offseason. Matthews and Cobb haven't lived up to their contracts at all, while Nelson has obviously lost a step and struggled without Aaron. Will be interesting to see how he handles this.

Also worth noting is that everyone will answer to Murphy and that instead of Gutekunst having control over McCarthy, Murphy does. Not sure how I feel about that as I think Murphy wanted Ball as GM but the board said no, so he found a way to get some power at least. Or he just doesn't want Gutekunst having control over Mike going into a make it or break it season.

Now to see what happens with the defensive coaching staff, really hoping we don't just promote from within.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Think the majority of the Packers fans wanted Wolf due to his name and all, but the more I read about Gutekunst the more I like Gutekunst and he does have more experience working in the league. Should be interesting to see what Wolf does though, going to Cleveland would just be a lateral move and can't Green Bay block that? Unless they are willing to let him walk as well. Happy to keep Russ Ball as the money manager as he kept our cap in a pretty good place during his tenure.

Also worth noting is that everyone will answer to Murphy and that instead of Gutekunst having control over McCarthy, Murphy does. Not sure how I feel about that as I think Murphy wanted Ball as GM but the board said no, so he found a way to get some power at least. Or he just doesn't want Gutekunst having control over Mike going into a make it or break it season.

Now to see what happens with the defensive coaching staff, really hoping we don't just promote from within.

I read Darren Perry is the front runner...

Bears hired a HC and it wasn't Fangio -- so I am hoping that's our guy. Fangio would INSTANTLY make us contenders. He turned that shit stain Bears defense into a Top 10 unit. Ridiculous.

Ya, I've seen reports of Darren Perry being the frontrunner as well and not happy about that at all. Also saw a report about the Bears wanting to keep Fangio now, but he may feel spurned about not getting the HC and could just leave. Think at midnight, he's a FA and Green Bay can interview him. Same with Teryl Austin. My favorite candidate is actually Gus Bradley and switching back to a 4-3, with a 3-4/4-3 hybrid until we have all the pieces.

Ya, I've seen reports of Darren Perry being the frontrunner as well and not happy about that at all. Also saw a report about the Bears wanting to keep Fangio now, but he may feel spurned about not getting the HC and could just leave. Think at midnight, he's a FA and Green Bay can interview him. Same with Teryl Austin. My favorite candidate is actually Gus Bradley and switching back to a 4-3, with a 3-4/4-3 hybrid until we have all the pieces.

The league's obsession with the 3-4 is dying, it seems, but it should die. It's easier to plug and play along the DL and much more possible to find good depth, whereas finding even 3 good LBs can be hard. Easier to pay the DL, too.

The 4-3 is just more sensible. The 3-4 is an "ideal pieces" kind of defense.

Packers pursuing Gus Bradley, Vic Fangio, and Mike Pettine for DC. Would gladly take any of those 3 over anybody on the staff currently. Hoping for Bradley though.

The Packers are preparing to hire Mike Pettine as their defensive coordinator, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Pettine spent the 2017 season in a consulting role in Seattle. He was the defensive coordinator of the Jets (2009-12) and Bills (2013) before the Browns hired him as head coach.

Apparently Bradley didn't really want to leave the Chargers. The Bears put on the "full court press" to retain Fangio because they didn't want him going to GB -- especially with a new HC.

That leaves Pettine.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

Anything's better than Dom Capers. Pettine could very well end up being a very underrated hire for the Pack. It'd be a bit of a scheme change, but his previous track record more than speaks volumes to make it worth it.

Edited by FartWaffles

Hopefully.. Pettine makes me the least excited, but he did nice things with the Jets (which was a while ago now... lol) and that Bills defense was solid so.. I have hope.

Also, slow leaks of news are coming out now regarding the GM search. Apparently both the Eagles and Lions wanted Eliot Wolf and he was denied both interviews by the Packers (just to be not hired by GB). He did get permission to interview / work with John Dorsey in Cleveland and with Reggie McKenzie in Oakland though. Packers have said if he stays he will be Gutekunst's right hand and go to guy though.. So leaving would just mean he got his feelings hurt (not that I blame him), because there would be no promotion.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

I liked Pettine when he was HC in Cleveland but he got fucked by GM/Ownership whoever it was whose bright idea it was to draft Manziel and Justin Gilbert. Not sure he was entirely ready for a HC position but he did decently with what was give

n.