Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

PANTHERS FIRED MIKE SHULA

Norv is a decent offensive coordinator BUT he is entirely dependent on having an offensive line in place to execute his downfield passing offense. Last I checked, the Panthers O-line is not great but Cam can make up for it with his mobility and we all know he has an arm. So I think Norv will be a good fit in Carolina with Cam but they definitely need to re-tool parts of that offense to realize the potential of the Norv/Cam combo.

Side note: Pretty cool to see Ron hire Norv after serving under Norv in SD.

• Upvote 1

Panthers O-line is far better than most people realize, it's just dragged way down by one player. This year, we had a rough start due to Ryan's injury and Trai not playing up to par, but they really jelled by the end of the year.

So our O-line we have:

LT: Matt Kalil: Bottom-10 LT in the league overall, but started to get closer towards below average by the end of the year.

LG: Andrew Norwell: Top-5 Guard in the league, 1st team AP All-Pro, PFF All-Pro.

C: Ryan Kalil: The big ?. If Ryan is healthy we have a top-10 center in here, if not, we have Tyler Larsen, who is about average. He did play admirably himself when we needed him, he simply does not set up the blocking like Ryan can.

RG: Trai Turner: Top-15 Guard in the league, perennial pro-bowler who had a shaky start to the year but got back to his normal way of doing things by the end.

RT: Daryl Williams: Top-5 RT in the league if he continues his play from this year, 2nd team AP All-Pro, PFF All-Pro.

Daryl Williams is definitely the biggest surprise, Panthers fans wanted us to use him so much sooner than we did, but maybe he needed that time to learn. Either way had the best year of his career, so he could definitely regress next year but if he holds steady to this level of play, we have a fantastic RT.

Matt Kalil aka "Speedbump McGee" is the weak link. The worst decision of G-man's tenure was to sign him to a $55million/5 year contract when Andrew Whitworth could have been had for a little more. It's not quite as bad as it sounds though. After 2018 the Panthers can cut him for about 5-6 million in dead money and save the rest of that contract, which was heavily backloaded for just this reason. If a good LT falls to us in the draft, I think we take him, thus giving him a chance to either immediately take over the spot from Matt and just use Matt as a backup, or he can ride the pine for the majority of the year and just learn the position.

Edited by Thanatos

Was talking about the Colts and I looked up where Ryan Grigson was employed these days and found out it was with the Panthers. I wouldn't celebrate yet, Than. :yao:

• Upvote 1

Just to clear the record: Ryan Grigson has never been a part of the Panthers organization. He was part of the Browns last year but he's unemployed atm.

Than, how would u rate Steve Wilks as a HC? Do u feel he would be the best hire for us given his track record with your team?

Edited by 56AceInDaPlace

I feel like Wilks is a gigantic question mark. He has a lot of upside, and I respect what he did with the defense this year, he didn't have much to work with on the back end so he blitzed the everloving hell out of people since if we didn't get pressure we weren't going to do much. You also only have one year of DC to evaluate from.

He crafted one hell of a gameplan versus the Saints that gave us the best shot we had to beat a superior team.

I do not know if Ron overrode him in two minute situations, but I hated how he handled defense during 2 minute drills, we played far too soft most of the time, IMO.

That said, if his blitz-happy philosophy is not solely because of personnel and because he believes in blitzing that much, you could get screwed vs a great QB.

Of course, the AFC South has no great quarterbacks, so you should be fine there.

Who else are the Titans looking at, do you know? I can certainly give you an opinion on Wilks vs someone else.

So far we've interviewed Wilks, Vrabel, and LaFleur, so nobody's really much of a known commodity

I mean you never know with coaches , you could find a diamond in the rough but at east to me ... First impression of that list is underwhelming and uninspiring

• Upvote 2

Agreed. I would say Wilks is the best candidate of those three, but again, if I were rating people to be HCs I'd put Wilks squarely in the middle. You just don't know at this point.

I mean you never know with coaches , you could find a diamond in the rough but at east to me ... First impression of that list is underwhelming and uninspiring

The Eagles' head-coach search in 2016 was the definition of underwhelming. They "missed" on Adam Gase, Ben McAdoo, and Tom Coughlin. Then the job came down to Doug Pederson, Pat Shurmur, and Deuce Staley.

Working out pretty good for them so far.

Edited by SteVo

Norv Turner specifically addressed Cam throwing off his back foot and said he would make it a point of emphasis to get his weight transferred before making throws.

Also declined to answer questions asking whether the answer was on the roster in regards to us having a power back to compliment CMC and the run-game and in addition pinpointed the absolute youth at the WR position as a possible weakness, saying having a veteran back there would help a lot in teaching the younger guys.

He is, at least, saying all the things Panthers fans have wanted to hear for years.

Also, the Panthers new DC Eric Washington (our former D-line coach) just looks like a DC:

DULFIdMX4AASiBC.jpg

Edited by Thanatos