Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Podcast Suggestions?

I am sure there is another thread somewhere but I am too lazy to look and it's probably out of date. Anyway, I am lame and a little behind in the trends obviously, lol...Just started listening to podcasts at work and need some more fodder.

I am not picky -- just looking for something interesting / funny with a semi regular schedule that I can rely on.

Much appreciated.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

You looking for interviews, or entertainment, or both?

Nerdist (even though you hate Chris Hardwick), Marc Maron, and Joe Rogan are decent for interviews, but it kinda depends on who they have on for guests.

Dan Carlin has a pretty cool history podcast that's great for killing time (episodes are hours long), but I'm not sure how readily available the episodes are as I think he's shifted some of the content to his website. (I typically use the tunein app on my phone for stuff like this and they haven't been on there in a while.)

• Upvote 1

History Honeys is pretty good. A married couple talks about events in history, explains how they happened, why they happened, and all of that fun stuff.

• Upvote 1

JRE The Joe Rogan Experience is awesome. So many different topics from experts in their respective fields

• Upvote 1

I like revisionist history with Malcom Gladwell. Hes often got a very liberal stance on topics but the way he presents his info is pretty cool. I like the McDonalds fries episode a lot.

• Upvote 1

Dan Carlin has a pretty cool history podcast that's great for killing time (episodes are hours long), but I'm not sure how readily available the episodes are as I think he's shifted some of the content to his website. (I typically use the tunein app on my phone for stuff like this and they haven't been on there in a while.)

I was DLing some Joe Rogan and one of his guests is Dan Carlin who says he hosts two popular podcasts .. So I think they are out there still, somewhere. :D

That Carlin interview is pretty good too. Listened to it a couple weeks ago I think.

You can also check out Critical Role (which was a twitch/youtube thing but they've put everything in podcast form now), which is a bunch of voice actors playing Dungeons & Dragons. Pretty amusing, and a good time killer because the episodes are generally 3+ hours long, though they might be a lil shorter in audio form since I would assume they've cut out the breaks and whatnot.

Edited by Vin

Gotta go with Joe Rogan Experience. The variety of guests, the humanizing of characters that the media demonizes. It's really a different...experience. He's able to have conversations despite his own political beliefs and whether or not he agrees with the other individual. At times it can get heated but that's a normal debate. It just happens.

I only listen to two podcasts, Joe Rogan Experiment and Bill Burr's Monday Morning/Thursday check in podcast.

Joe Rogans is great but I'd cherry pick episodes with guests that interest you. There is a lot of MMA/Health science guests that aren't everyone's cup of tea. In general the ones with comedians and scientists are awesome.

Bill Burr usually just shoots the shit about sports, news, and does a funny listener mailbag at the end. He also trolls his advertisers more often than not.

• Upvote 1

Nerdist (even though you hate Chris Hardwick), Marc Maron, and Joe Rogan are decent for interviews, but it kinda depends on who they have on for guests.

Listened to a few of the Nerdist podcasts (some of the more recent ones) and man... Chris Hardwick is annoying even when I can't see him. Lol. If he has interesting guests though I will probably download future episodes. I listened to his Seth Rogen interviews and those are just great... More because of Seth Rogen though. lol

Haven't gotten to Carlin yet, but I will.

History Honeys is pretty good. A married couple talks about events in history, explains how they happened, why they happened, and all of that fun stuff.

Not bad, well roudned down to earth folks. I really liked the Sherlock Holmes episode.

Wasn't big into them at first, but I stuck with it and I actually find them quite enjoyable. I've ended up DLing more of their library. Jimmy Savile.. vomit. Episode on Mormons was pretty good too. Have a lot more in my queue.

JRE The Joe Rogan Experience is awesome. So many different topics from experts in their respective fields

What I like about Joe so much is that he is open minded and he cedes the floor to these experts. He isn't looking to shit on people or force his opinion. He's totally okay and secure enough to realize and say... Hey.. these guys know more than I do -- and you don't get that a lot.

I like revisionist history with Malcom Gladwell. Hes often got a very liberal stance on topics but the way he presents his info is pretty cool. I like the McDonalds fries episode a lot.

My winner of Round 1. This guy is amazing. He definitely has a.. uh... liberal spin on a lot of what he is trying to convey, but I love the topics he chooses and I learn A LOT in a short amount of time in many cases. His mini series on colleges and higher education for example -- I can't praise enough. I also like his calm demeanor, he doesn't get super crazy or theatrical... He is just extremely intelligent and tells you how it is. He's swayed me on a few things as well.

Wish his episodes were more frequent and longer. So good.

Joe Rogan with Jordan Peterson is must listen material.

I watch a lot of Jordan Peterson already, I am sure that will be great

I watch a lot of Jordan Peterson already, I am sure that will be great

His stance against bill C-16 was incredible. And to think, our history books will probably call him a bigot because science and education become continually more slanted toward leftists' fabricated perceptions of reality.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Wasn't big into them at first, but I stuck with it and I actually find them quite enjoyable. I've ended up DLing more of their library. Jimmy Savile.. vomit. Episode on Mormons was pretty good too. Have a lot more in my queue.

Glad you stuck with 'em and like it. You may want to watch some of their older stuff first, so you don't miss out on some of their inside jokes.

Ralph Nader inspires the fuck out of me, man. He's been smeared for DECADES and he's just kept on fighting. This country would be a much better place in short order if that man was Attorney General. In this podcast he makes a really interesting point about impeaching Trump. He's in the obstruction camp but the point that was most interesting to me was the case of impeachment he brought up about Andrew Johnson. He was impeached because he tried to remove people from office without the consent of the Senate in order to circumvent the civil war amendments. Nader is an excellent legal mind. I don't think that impeaching Trump is possible but I think impeachment hearings on a proper case could be damaging to Trump, hopefully damaging enough to make him a less viable option come 2020. 

His guests on the show were great and Nader asked some tough questions to the first guest who was one of those Democrats who only wants to talk about the how bad the Republicans are. His second gues Jamie Love did a great job in breaking down how the political machinery inhibits civil action. 

The Jordan Peterson cycle is basically

"He seems reasonable..."

"Wait... wait no."

"Jordan stop, please no."

"What are you... oh great, I've been duped, he's been like this the whole time."

• Upvote 1

Jordan is a breath of fresh air. Resonating with people who otherwise are a little lost at times. You may not agree with him, but denying the people he has helped is just ignorance. 

Especially doing so when your own heart is so full of hatred and bigotry.... just super hypocritical. Lol 

See, I think the biggeet reason that people listen to Jordan Peterson is social justice warriors that want to alienate white men. That's not the way to go. That's not an inclusive message. What's most people's reaction when they feel they've been attacked?  This is what happens when you call people you disagree with dumb or evil. I'm not saying racism and sexism and homophobia don't exist but I think it's SJW's and pieces of shit like Peterson and Shapiro that keep them alive 

Edited by seanbrock

11 minutes ago, seanbrock said:

See, I think the biggeet reason that people listen to Jordan Peterson is social justice warriors that want to alienate white men. That's not the way to go. That's not an inclusive message. What's most people's reaction when they feel they've been attacked?  This is what happens when you call people you disagree with dumb or evil. I'm not saying racism and sexism and homophobia don't exist but I think it's SJW's and pieces of shit like Peterson and Shapiro that keep them alive 

Peterson has college lectures about avoiding both the radical left and radical right. He does talk more about leftists, I agree... but I don't see what is so wrong about that considering how far left almost every media outlet in the world is.

@DalaiLama4EverThe media isn't leftist bro. The media is corporate. There is a popular and corporate faction of each side of the political spectrum. The corporate factions are in lock step and are thrilled to set the popular factions against each other with manufactured intellectuals like Pederson and and the manufactured SJW movement.

Edited by seanbrock

Idk, seems pretty left most of the time. Lol. You are right though that it rewards group think and herd mentality though. Free thought isn't allowed.

Seems like my post was deleted. Why does the right insist on censorship?