Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Favorite announcers?

I thought this would be a unique topic to kill some time in the quasi-offseason. We've all been slobbering over Tony Romo for his enthusiasm and ability to make Jim Nantz entertaining again. But I also really like Ian Eagle. He might be my favorite play-by-play guy in football. Some other random thoughts/guys:

• Al Michaels is iconic, but they need to swap him out for Mike Tirico. The Tirico/Collinsworth duo is epic.
  • I'm partial to Tom McCarthy because he does play-by-play for the Phillies.
  • Greg Gumbel sucks. So does Chris Myers.
  • I think Joe Buck gets more hate than he deserves, and I love Troy Aikman, so Buck/Aikman is one of my favorite tandems.

I don't like Tirico, to be honest. McDonough has been much better. He's much better at getting out of the way for the color analyst. Him and Gruden these past two seasons were epic.

I'd say Gruden. He got a little too into certain catch-phrases, but he figured it out and cleaned it up.

Mike Mayock is awesome.

I love Kevin Harlan calling games on the radio. Dude is excellent.

Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis do an awesome job when paired together on Fox.

I also enjoy Ian Eagle.

Obviously Romo. His voice took some time to get used to, and early on his calling things before they happened was pretty annoying, but he toned it down. Every commentator overuses their strengths right away and learns balance.

• Upvote 2

Romo is awesome, gonna miss Gruden. Collinsworth bugs me to no end.

I thought this would be a unique topic to kill some time in the quasi-offseason. We've all been slobbering over Tony Romo for his enthusiasm and ability to make Jim Nantz entertaining again. But I also really like Ian Eagle. He might be my favorite play-by-play guy in football. Some other random thoughts/guys:

• Al Michaels is iconic, but they need to swap him out for Mike Tirico. The Tirico/Collinsworth duo is epic.
  • I'm partial to Tom McCarthy because he does play-by-play for the Phillies.
  • Greg Gumbel sucks. So does Chris Myers.
  • I think Joe Buck gets more hate than he deserves, and I love Troy Aikman, so Buck/Aikman is one of my favorite tandems.

Buck just talks too much, and Aikman has become stupidly critical. Quite honestly, can I just look a Erin Andrews for 3 and half hours? One of the most beautiful women on the planet. And that's secondary to the fact that she's awesome at her job.

I used to hate Collinsworth but he's dialed in a bit and is actually quite awesome.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Romo is great but he can be a bit random/much at times. Really like Gruden & Tirico too. Mayock is great, good call Bware.

Not a fan of Aikman, Buck, or Fouts (even though he is my boy). Everyone else is good to average.

Buck just talks too much, and Aikman has become stupidly critical. Quite honestly, can I just look a Erin Andrews for 3 and half hours? One of the most beautiful women on the planet. And that's secondary to the fact that she's awesome at her job.

I used to hate Collinsworth but he's dialed in a bit and is actually quite awesome.

Um, what the fuck?

• Upvote 1

Um, what the fuck?

What? She's fucking gorgeous. Fuck football. Just put her on camera.

Slow down Harvey!

Nantz / Romo is the gold standard for me.

I think a lot of the teams are overall really solid. Fouts and Simms are awful and annoying so anything without them is pretty damn peachy. I am sure there are others that suck, but can't think of them off the top of my head.

Quite honestly, can I just look a Erin Andrews for 3 and half hours?

didn't someone get arrested for that?

Gus Johnson doesn't do as much NFL stuff but he's so fun. Kevin Harlan too. Romo for critical eye of the game probably best color commentator. I like having hype man play-by-play guys.

This is obvious. I like Romo. The rest suck dick.

I like Charles Johnson, Moose, Romo. Lynch was great. I miss Lynch in the booth. I loved Gruden too :(

Romo is easily my favorite. I could watch Romo announcing Browns v. Browns lol.

I've never heard Romo as a commentator. What network is he on?

Gus Johnson. Fuck everybody else.

Gus Johnson's voice annoys me tbh

Content and hype wise he is pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Gus Johnson and Tony Romo right now. When Gus was doing more NFL back when we had Chris Johnson, it was some of the best commentary I've heard. He's so hype and his "he's got get away from the cops speed" made me laugh about CJ.

Tony Romo is so knowledgeable as well. He predicts what calls are made before they happen and he gives great insight on plays and players. Schemes and ideas. He made the right choice becoming a commentator. I see why they hired him.

If both could call a game together it would just be entertaining in itself even if it was a boring game.

Kevin Harlan has just been named Sportscaster of the Year.

Well deserved :nod:

• Upvote 1

Colinsworth was so bad last night it wasn't even funny. "I can't wait for them to make that call and overturn the touchdown" "well those in Pittsburgh will wonder why this wasn't overturned" DESPITE the fact that the guy was clearly a runner.

The other touchdown...."well gee wizz that ball looks like it was moving" As Clemente was moving the ball to secure it.

Not to mention him going on and on about the Patriots. "Ertz channeling his inner Gronk" as he runs a simple in route that has been done for ages.

The best part was Brady fumbling on the game winning drive after he told us how great Brady is on the final drive like 6 times in 5 different ways of saying it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Mean to +rep you.

Yeah Collinsworth was awful last night.

Colinsworth was so bad last night it wasn't even funny. "I can't wait for them to make that call and overturn the touchdown" "well those in Pittsburgh will wonder why this wasn't overturned" DESPITE the fact that the guy was clearly a runner.

The other touchdown...."well gee wizz that ball looks like it was moving" As Clemente was moving the ball to secure it.

Not to mention him going on and on about the Patriots. "Ertz channeling his inner Gronk" as he runs a simple in route that has been done for ages.

The best part was Brady fumbling on the game winning drive after he told us how great Brady is on the final drive like 6 times in 5 different ways of saying it.

did you notice how much he was talking up Justin Timberlake too? lol