Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Favorite announcers?

did you notice how much he was talking up Justin Timberlake too? lol

Yeah, I remember that at the end. I don't watch the half time show as I have never liked it, so I can't speak to JT's performance other than I probably would not have liked it.

He mentioned it a couple times here and there throughout the game making JT out to be the greatest entertainer ever or some shit it was weird. Clearly the 60 year old man does not listen to Justin Timberlake lol.

It really made my blood boil listening to Collinsworth talk about those catches and scores the Eagles had. I don't know why I found it so annoying, but I did. Just the way he talked about it... He was SO CONFUSED and he was spreading this really stupid (IMO) narrative that's been mostly blown up by the media that the rule doesn't make sense.

I am not saying it can't be simplified or that refs always get it right... But those two plays last night were so obviously TDs and he just sat there blabbing about how they aren't and how crazy it would be if the calls stood. I would say something Phil Elliot-esquee about a conspiracy to make the catch rule into some bigger deal than it is or to somehow undermine the Eagles and create controversy -- but I really think he was as confused as he sounded.

I mean.. the ref made the right call on the field. The booth in NY or wherever got it right. The correct result stood and nobody was screwed... Yet somehow Chris Collinsworth is sitting there all baffled, like he's seen big foot or some shit.

Shut up Chris.

Edited by Olenna4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Eh idk. Rewatching them, the second catch is absolutely a TD. I am very unsure about Clement's catch.

Like I said last night, in Collinsworth's defense, those calls in a regular season game are called the opposite way they were called last night nine out of ten times. Which it wouldn't surprise me if last night was how those calls should be called, and every other time they're wrong, but that's where the issue lies. This stuff should be cut and dry based on how refs have previously called things.

Edited by Vin

Like I said last night, in Collinsworth's defense, those calls in a regular season game are called the opposite way they were called last night nine out of ten times. Which it wouldn't surprise me if last night was how those calls should be called, and every other time they're wrong, but that's where the issue lies. This stuff should be cut and dry based on how refs have previously called things.

It wasn't just the calls, he was terrible all around but even then I still disagree with you.

Taking three steps and diving after catching the ball is pretty cut and dry to me.

The Clement one has some gray area based on how he secured the ball to his side and it slightly moved as he was falling (more of a product as to how it was secured and him falling). See SteVo's post, nitpick all you want, that call stands 9/10 IMO due to inconclusive evidence and SteVo is right about possession even if the ball moves.

Most of the "what constitutes a catch" confusion probably stems from jackasses like Colinsworth in the media who don't really understand the rules or how to apply them.

• Upvote 1

Oh, so we're going to talk about those catches in this thread? Let's do it! Obviously I'm biased, but this is how I saw each one:

Clement: The ball definitely moved in his hands, but I didn't see conclusive evidence that he lost possession. The ball is allowed to move without counting as loss of possession. Inconclusive evidence, play stands as called. (I think Steratore actually said "confirmed" on this one.)

Ertz: He catches the pass, takes three steps, and dives over the goal line. All of that constitutes "completing the process of the catch" and by the time the ball pops loose, he is established as a runner and it is a TD the moment the ball breaks the plane.

For all the inconsistencies this year, I think the league got both of these right.

He said stands on the first one. He definitely has the ball drop in his hands, and at two different point it looks like he doesn't have his hands on it at all. Based on how the league has called the catch rule this year, I was fully expecting this one to be overturned. Had he got that left toe in, it'd be a different story.

Though I would say, IMO, it was absolutely a catch. Just not by the NFL's zany catch rules.

The Ertz catch he said confirmed, and I agree with you, he was certainly a runner prior to going airborne. No question on that one.

Edited by Thanatos

It wasn't just the calls, he was terrible all around but even then I still disagree with you.

Taking three steps and diving after catching the ball is pretty cut and dry to me.

The Clement one has some gray area based on how he secured the ball to his side and it slightly moved as he was falling (more of a product as to how it was secured and him falling). See SteVo's post, nitpick all you want, that call stands 9/10 IMO due to inconclusive evidence and SteVo is right about possession even if the ball moves.

Most of the "what constitutes a catch" confusion probably stems from jackasses like Colinsworth in the media who don't really understand the rules or how to apply them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iadXaHoppWw Edited by Vin