Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Mularkey Gone (Titans offseason thread)

Titans Part Ways with Head Coach Mike Mularkey

Full statement from owner Amy Adams Strunk:

I want to thank Mike Mularkey for his contributions to our franchise over his tenure with our organization. He took over our team during a low moment and together with Jon built a solid foundation for our franchise. I appreciated that Mike devoted himself to this team and the community.
In fact, we did discuss extending his future with our team over the past week, but in those discussions about the direction of the team, it became evident that we saw different paths to achieve greater success.
It is certainly unfortunate that we couldn’t find enough common ground. I generally believe that continuity is the best path for success, but I also view this as an important moment for our football team as we try to make that next step to sustained success on the field. Jon will begin the search immediately to identify that person.

That statement makes me think they told him he was going to need to significantly change his offensive system and he said no, it's gonna be an interesting offseason

The fact that he couldnt see that that needed to be done is all the evidence anyone needs that it was time to go.

TIL I learned that the Titans did indeed have two postseason victories

Good for the Titans.

Mariota is def the future. They need to exhaust all options for him to succeed. Mularkey just wasn't the guy clearly.

• Upvote 1

In hindsight, it would have been epic for the Titans to get Mark Helfrich (Mariota's old OC at Oregon) and then they could hire a defensive HC like Wilks, Schwartz, or Vrabel.

Good for the Titans.

Mariota is def the future. They need to exhaust all options for him to succeed. Mularkey just wasn't the guy clearly.

can't add anymore to the condo but a co-sign lol

Let's all admire the skill it takes to go from being a lock to getting an extension to being fired instead.

I'll be wondering if the new staff will include LeBeau next season or not. He's been pretty good for us. all things considered.

I'll be wondering if the new staff will include LeBeau next season or not. He's been pretty good for us. all things considered.

Without a true secondary

I think he has done a pretty good job, need a little bit more of a pass rush though. Orakpo isn't getting any younger...

He should be kept.. but he has been a part of the game for so long who knows what he wants to do.

Edited by ATL

So far we've interviewed Mike Vrabel, Steve Wilks, and Matt Lafleur, I don't know enough about any of them to really comment, but if we go with Vrabel or Wilks then the OC is gonna be critical

I still say Todd Haley is a good OC as far as getting the most out of your guys and calling plays.

He's just an insufferable douche.

• Upvote 1

So far we've interviewed Mike Vrabel, Steve Wilks, and Matt Lafleur, I don't know enough about any of them to really comment, but if we go with Vrabel or Wilks then the OC is gonna be critical

And so here we go. The buzz amongst reporters is pegging Ohio State co-OC Ryan Day as the favorite. Apparently he has worked with Chip Kelly a lot (thought not at Oregon when Mariota was there).

Don't have a source to quote, but did read that Ryan Day is staying at OSU and will get a promotion of some sort.