Vin

Jags @ Patriots

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20180121017&home=17&vis=30

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots are spending the week leading up to Sunday's AFC title game doing what they always do in the days leading up to any game.

Not saying anything negative about the opposition.

That's the Patriots way -- don't give the other guys anything to put up on their bulletin boards.

So, when someone like Jacksonville's Jalen Ramsey predicts his Jaguars will unseat the defending Super Bowl champs in Sunday's game, the Patriots take the high road and talk about how tough the other guys are to deal with.

Reacting to Ramsey's boast, quarterback Tom Brady, on his weekly WEEI appearance, said, "I think what I have learned for a long time is -- it's how you play, it's not what you say. Everyone has different ways of handling things -- players do, coaches do. We do what works for us, other players do what works for them. The game is going to be decided by who plays the best, not who hypes the best or speaks the best.

"He's a really good player. I have watched a ton of film on him," Brady said of Ramsey. "He has a lot of strengths. He's obviously very confident. That is reflected in how he plays. I am more concerned about how he plays (as) opposed to what he says."

Brady, headed for his seventh straight AFC title game and 12th overall, also called the upstart Jaguars "the toughest" team the top-seeded Patriots have faced all season -- something that didn't sit too well with Jacksonville.

Jacksonville's Telvin Smith called Brady out on Twitter, saying, "Bruh this the oldest trick...pump us up in the media but in the buildin I kno what's really bein said. Respect."

Brady, who has had his shares of bumps and bruises in this, his 40-year-old season, skipped his Wednesday media session as he met with team medical personnel over a right hand injury.

The oldest quarterback to win a playoff game, Brady was listed on the injury report as "limited participation" in Wednesday's practice but you can be sure he will be ready to go on Sunday.

He captured his 26th postseason victory, recorded his 13th 300-yard postseason passing game -- extending his NFL record for both -- and also broke a tie with Joe Montana to become the all-time leader with 10 three-TD playoff games.

The Patriots, seeking the sixth Super Bowl crown of the Brady/Bill Belichick Era, hammered the Tennessee Titans 35-14 in the divisional round, while the third-seeded Jaguars stunned the Steelers 45-42 in Pittsburgh and come into this game filled with confidence -- and toughness.

Asked Wednesday what it will be like facing the NFL's No. 1 defense, New England tight end Rob Gronkowski, active this time around after missing last year's title run, said, "That is a big challenge. They have very talented players on both sides of the ball. Especially on defense, they have many, many great players. It is going to be a big challenge.

"It is the best team we are facing all year coming up in the AFC Championship Game this weekend. We have to be ready. We have to be prepared. It is going to be a big, tough challenge, for sure."

The Jags are trying to become only the third team -- and first since the 1985 Chicago Bears -- to lead the league in rushing and win the championship.

"It's going to be tough. It's going to be a great challenge for us," Jacksonville coach Doug Marrone told the New England media via conference call Wednesday. "We understand how great of a team New England is and how much of a challenge all three phases are going to be faced with. It's going to be difficult and we understand that."

These teams practiced together prior to the first preseason game back in August, and Patriots players said they saw back then things would be different with a team that won three games last season.

Now, they meet for the AFC title.

The Patriots have gone 3-3 in the six straight title game appearances, losing twice to the Denver Broncos and once to the Baltimore Ravens. Most people expected a battle with the Pittsburgh Steelers this week but the Jags flipped the script and come into this game as decided underdogs.

A big change beside the coach was the return of Tom Coughlin to the organization he helped build -- as the first coach of the expansion team in 1995.

Jacksonville's vice president of football operations, Coughlin coached the New York Giants to a pair of Super Bowl wins over the Patriots, and one would have to think he can be of some help this week -- as he has the entire season.

Asked if Coughlin might be getting too much credit when he, Marrone, is the coach, Marrone said, "He should get a lot of credit. (Jaguars general manager) Dave Caldwell should get a lot of credit. Our coaches should get a hell of a lot of credit and our players deserve the most credit.

"So I think everyone is trying to pull in the same direction. I just think that those people getting the credit, they deserve it. As long as we win I don't really care who gets the credit. So I have no problem with that at all."

https://twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/953669796800823298

:fgm:

https://twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/953798858231840768

:fbm:

https://twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/953708952054677504

:welp:

• Upvote 1

Go Jags.

0% chance for the Jags. It was a nice run, but the Blake Bortles Bus pumps the brakes before the super bowl.

:Pats: 24

:jags: 7

0% chance for the Pats. It was a nice run, but the Bill Belichick Bus pumps the brakes before the super bowl.

:Pats: 7

:jags: 24

I really really want to pick the Jaguars to win, because I feel they have the perfect defense to beat Tom Brady. I am reminded of the Broncos/Patriots AFCCG where Brady was under duress the entire game, never got any momentum going, and the Broncos went on to win the Super Bowl. Jacksonville has the capability to do that.

But I just can't. The Patriots are going to operate a quick strike offense. Brady is going to get the ball out, moving the chains in small chunks. Let's not forget the Steelers hung 42 points on the vaunted Jaguars defense without the benefit of turnovers. That's 42 points of raw offense. Yes, the Steelers have more talent on offense than the Patriots, but the Patriots are better coached. They'll score points. And most importantly, the Patriots defense will do what the Steelers could not: make Blake Bortles beat them--which I do not think he will do.

:Pats: 23

:jags: 13

The Jags WANT a team to get the ball out quick, IMO. The only reason the Steelers were in that game last week because they are just so explosive. They can score in 3 seconds any play all game long. Patriots don't have that capability -- and if they do, they haven't had to prove it in a LOOOOONG time. Old man Brady is gonna have to knock the rust off his arm.

I actually think Fournette will run well. Bortles just needs to convert play action and convert some third downs. I am worried about the defense, though. Still thinking Pats blowout 33-13

Ya if they go on to win the Super Bowl with Blake fucking Bortles, this Jags defense is an all-time great without a doubt.

But it did nothing last week. :shrug:

It was doing well for the first 29 minutes, but then the killer B's went ham. I don't think the Jags have an answer for Gronk, so jags fans better start praying.

I bet the Jags try Ramsey on Gronk

:jags:Gary-Coleman-Confused-Gif-On-Diffrent-St:Pats:

^ Me trying to decide on who I want to see win this game...

Edited by FartWaffles
  • Upvote 1

Blake Bortles is undefeated against SB QBs this season...

I am the harbinger of truth.

Jacksonville does not stand a chance in hell and we all know it. Deep down, we all know what's going to happen tomorrow. We don't want it to happen, but its going to anyway. Ramsey on Gronk? Please. Gronk will eat him alive. Jacksonville has no one who can cover Gronk.

There is one way and one way only Jacksonville stands a prayer in this game: Brady's hand injury is far worse than he's letting on.

Also for the record, give me Minnesota as the best defense in the NFL. Harder SoS by far, Jags defense faltered a bit down the stretch- 44 to the Niners, 42 to Pitt. Jags are also ranked 21st against the run, though that's a bit misleading because teams had to run against them because of how ridiculous their pass defense is. Jags are #2 by just a tad in my book.

But they are coming into this game talking shit, cocky as hell, Brady is going to eat them alive.

Also on the other side of things, the Patriots defense has got to be feeling disrespected as hell. Since the Tampa Bay game in week 5 the Patriots defense has allowed 12.9 PPG, a mark good for #1 in the league, yet all the focus is on the Jaguars defense. Look for them to confuse Bortles and pick him off at least twice.

:jags: 16

:Pats: 33

Edited by Thanatos

tenor.gif

Everyone in favor of banning Thanatos say "Aye".

"Aye."

Well, it looks like the ayes have it. See you around, Thanatos.

Edited by Vin
  • Upvote 2

Yeah if Tom's okay this game is already over

I would be so damn happy to be wrong, but all of yall know I'm not.

The Vikes are the only shot we have left and that's only because it would be in Minnesota and basically be a home game for them.

Through the 1st Quarter, the Jags are just outsmarting and outplaying the Patriots.

Hoodie is maybe the best ever at in-game adjustments though. Let's see if the Jags can stay a move or two ahead.

Jags are on the verge of a dominant first half...and then the Patriots drive down the field for a TD. Where have we seen this movie before?

It's all up to this Jags defense to finish. No Gronk. Rise up!