Vin

Vikings @ Eagles

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20180121021&home=21&vis=16

PHILADELPHIA -- The top-seeded Eagles are in search of their first trip to the Super Bowl since the 2004 season when they host the second-seeded Minnesota Vikings in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field.

The Eagles (14-3) posted a 15-10 win over the Atlanta Falcons in the divisional round last Saturday and will participate in the NFC Championship Game for the first time since the 2008 season. They dropped a 32-25 decision to the Arizona Cardinals in that contest.

Philadelphia hasn't hosted an NFC Championship Game since recording a 27-10 win over the Falcons following the 2004 season.

The Vikings (14-3) advanced following a thrilling 29-24 victory over the New Orleans Saints. Stefon Diggs hauled in a 61-yard touchdown catch from quarterback Case Keenum on the final play of the game Sunday.

Like the Eagles, Minnesota has yet to win a Super Bowl. The Vikings have dropped five consecutive NFC Championship games.

Philadelphia will enter Sunday's game as an underdog, especially with quarterback Carson Wentz out with a torn ACL.

"It's about those players in that dressing room, whether we're three-point underdogs or three-point favorites. They really don't listen to that stuff," Eagles coach Doug Pederson said. "Of course, they have been sort of force-fed for about two weeks now, three weeks now, the information, and they just stick together. They just stick together and find a way and it's been that way all season."

Backup quarterback Nick Foles did an admirable job against the Falcons, completing 23 of 30 passes for 246 yards and a 100.1 passer rating. In two career playoff games with the Eagles -- the other coming in a 26-24 loss to the Saints in 2014 -- Foles is 46 of 63 for 441 yards, two touchdowns, no interceptions and a 102.7 passer rating.

"I am very humbled to win this game and to be a part of this team," Foles said. "That's what it's always been about. I know there was a lot of people against us this last week. Just answering questions, and just hearing about it.

"... The biggest thing in our locker room is we believe in one another. Everyone believes, and that was shown on display. The city of Philadelphia obviously believes because they were here and loud. So we are grateful for that. Honestly, it's unbelievable to win this game and we are not finished."

The Vikings are in search of their first trip to the Super Bowl since the 1976 season -- Super Bowl XI.

During the regular season, the Vikings' defense ranked first in points allowed per game (15.8) and yards given up per game (275.9). Defensive end Everson Griffen was tied for fourth in the league with a career-best 13 sacks this season.

While the Vikings likely have seen video of Diggs' amazing catch a million times, another game awaits in the NFC Championship.

"We should celebrate this and enjoy this," tight end Kyle Rudolph told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "It's hard to win playoff games. There's a lot of guys in this locker room, including myself, this is our first playoff win. But it's just the beginning. We've still got a lot of work to do.

"It'd be a shame to let something like that go to waste by us not showing up."

The incredible final play will be etched in viewers' minds forever.

"I don't think it's still really sunk in as far as like what something like that's going to be," guard Jeremiah Sirles told ESPN.com. "That's the stuff that in 20 years, you turn on NFL Films and it's going to be the 2018 NFL Classic. Something like that that you can't take away from any player that's in this room right now. We'll always be a part of something that happened that was super special like that."

A win over the Eagles would not only clinch a trip to the Super Bowl, but it would also be the Vikings' first playoff victory against Philadelphia in four tries. The last time the teams met was in the 2008 wild-card round.

The Vikings are 0-4 all-time in the Super Bowl. In order to get a fifth shot, they'll have to travel to a hostile environment and knock out the No. 1 seed.

"They're a pretty resilient bunch," Vikings coach Mike Zimmer told ESPN.com. "They're pretty determined in what they're always trying to get done. They're always trying to get better. They're a good group of guys that work really hard."

This game is gonna be really good. People forget that the Eagles weren't just all Carson Wentz this season. That defense did a lot of work and they have strong trench play in their favour. As long as Foles doesn't make a mistake, the Eagles can win this game.

:Eagles: 20

:Vikings: 16

This game is gonna be really good. People forget that the Vikings aren't just all Case Keenum this season. That defense did a lot work and they have everything but strong trench play in their favour. As long as Keenum doesn't make a mistake, the Vikings will win this game.

:Eagles: 17

:Vikings: 27

• Upvote 1

Man, this is gonna be fun. Should be an old-school football game of defense and ball control. Both defenses are awesome but in slightly different ways (Minnesota with their secondary, Eagles with their front four). Both offenses are competent. I think Minnesota has the better passing game and Philadelphia has the better running game. That bodes extremely well for Minnesota if they can get out to a quick lead. Of course, turnovers will be crucial, as will...wait for it...extra points. Kai Forbath and Jake Elliott combined for 9 missed PATs this season.

And one really cool note about the Vikings and Eagles: 16 months ago, both teams made a blockbuster trade. The Eagles made the deal because they believed in Carson Wentz; the Vikings because they believed in Sam Bradford. Now both teams compete for a trip to the Super Bowl--with entirely different quarterbacks lining up under center.

I'm going with my Eagles in a tight one, but I wouldn't be surprised with any way this game unfolds. I'm expecting a close game but could see a blowout on either side. All I know is the Linc will be rocking, it should be a fun game to watch, and if we lose, I'm happily rooting for the Vikings in the Super Bowl.

:Eagles: 20

:Vikings: 17

Game of mostly field goals. The team to score two TDs wins. I'm calling 23-13, Vikings

Seeing how the Vikes' o-line started to really falter in the 2nd half last week, will be interesting to see how they fare against a better d-line with one of the best DTs in the game. If Cox is able to get in Keenum's face consistently, I could see a few errant throws that could result in interceptions. On the other side, the Eagles will have to help Vaitai against Griffen or Foles will be under pressure early and often.

Going with:

:Eagles: 17

:Vikings: 16

Elliott kicks a 50yd FG as the clock expires to send the Eagles to the Super Bowl to face the Jags.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Guys like Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham might be all the difference in this game. The only reason the Saints were in the game (and just about won) last week was because they were getting to Keenum on a normal basis and forced him into some really stupid and critical mistakes.

Note: maybe the two best DTs not named Aaron Donald are playing in this game in Cox and Linval.

Our line really isn't that bad. The Saints smartly started letting Jordan rush against Hill because Reiff ate him alive in the first half.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Note: maybe the two best DTs not named Aaron Donald are playing in this game in Cox and Linval.

Our line really isn't that bad. The Saints smartly started letting Jordan rush against Hill because Reiff ate him alive in the first half.

The difference is that Linval Joseph will be going against arguably the best center this season in Kelce, Wisneiewski was fairly good this season as well I thought.

What side do you think Graham lines up? The left side, so he will be going up against Hill as well. He's not as good as Jordan but can still provide a lot of pressure. Rankins was getting plenty of pressure in the 2nd half as well and Cox is miles ahead of him. Another thing is the Eagles have plenty of passrushers so they can continually rotate guys and have fresh legs out there. If this game goes down to the wire, I'll take a great d-line with fresh legs over the Vikes' o-line.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

I mean I agree that the Eagles DL will cause problems. It's unfortunate that Nick Easton got hurt at LG because Remmers was very good at RT. As a matter of fact I'm surprised they went with him at guard instead of keeping Sirles there and letting Remmers play his natural position. I think it says a lot about Sirles that they chose to move a guy to a new spot instead of starting him.

FTR, the second half of New Orleans was the worst Rashod Hill had played so far this season, and that was against an elite player. I expect he'll show out better this week.

As for Graham I expect him to go against Hill. That seems to be his normal spot anyway.

The Eagles OL versus the Vikings DL is being overlooked as a game changer. Aside from the obvious exception of Cox, we have better players when you factor the sum of the 4 guys in the game at any given time. The Eagles just have better depth. Unprecedented depth.

The play of the Eagles OL should be mostly solid so long as they don't have to play Seomalu, who is fucking terrible.

Quite honestly I expect both OLs to play surprisingly well for about 85% of the game. Both will have their struggles from time to time because they're going against two of the best DLs in the game.

The reason I think we win is because we're more likely to convert longer third downs than they are. We get them to 3rd and 6+ with any regularity and it's lights out.

If Wentz were healthy I don't think we'd be able to keep up because he has elite ball placement talent and could beat our secondary. But it is Nick Foles, who is underrated, but he most certainly isn't Carson

Edited by BwareDWare94

Prefer Philly to win, don't want Foles moving on though lol idk

The beauty of football is that the better team almost always wins, especially in the post season. Whoever wins is the better team, imo. If Minnesota lays an egg, then they aren't mature enough to win a title. I really hope that whoever wins this game wins it all unless Jacksonville pulls off the upset this Sunday.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I see a vikings win and it probably wont be close.

We have an x-factor in this game no one is talking about: Sidney Jones, one of the best CB prospects to come out in awhile, is healthy and I believe will play in this game. He is still a very very raw rookie CB, so maybe he does nothing but he could swing it with a big play.

The Eagles can absolutely win this game, but for the sake of everyone, I really hope they lose. Philadelphia vs New England without Wentz? They won't stand a chance in hell. Minnesota is our only shot left at taking down the Patriots, so I am full on a Vikes fan.

This game is going to be a close defensive battle, but give me the team with the better QB to do just a bit more than his counterpart and push the Vikings over the top, with the Vikings defense making one last stand to seal it.

:Vikings: 20

:Eagles: 16

Edited by Thanatos

Good luck to all the Eagles and Jags fans on this board this weekend. I'd say good luck to Patriots fans too but I hate New England with the fire of 1000 suns

• Upvote 1

Should be a fun, throwback type of game. Eagles are playing with house money. No expectations. They've averaged letting up 9 points a game at home this year. Like Than said though, I don't want to see the Pats on a neutral field.

Can't wait for this one. The Linc will be absolutely insane. And if we lose, like Sean said, we're playing with house money. Getting this far after the Wentz injury, this season is a spectacular success even if we lose 40-0 today.

Good luck Bware, OSUVike, and any other Vikings fans I'm missing.

Likewise @ Stevo and accompanying Eagles fans

• Upvote 1

It's like the Vikings have to remind every opponent they face that they can actually run the ball.

The best part? Cook can ease back in as lead back.

Case Keenum can't do things like that.. especially if the Vikings win this game. Get your head out of your ass, man.

I think he was throwing that away. Rashod Hill either has to step up or they'll have to put Remmers back over there and bring in Sirles. Hill can't be getting blown by like that by an average pass rusher

Pat Shurmur is trying to be way too elaborate. Why would you call that protection on that play? That makes no sense.

Vikings look pathetic, like they don't care. Oh well... Pats / Eagles rematch... Should be... gross? lol