Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Best Player Since MJ?

This could be fun right? I got Duncan, personally. I know most will see Kobe or LeBron, but Duncan was more impactful on defense. He was more clutch than either one and he made the playoffs and won 50 games at least in doing so every single year he was in the NBA. People also forget that he went through Shaq and Kobe to get ring number 2 as the only star on the team.

After that I would have to say Shaq. He didn't have the long run of the three I mentioned but the dude was arguably the most unstoppable Force in NBA history at his best. I think Duncan has to get it because he was much more of a two way player but it's close imo.

It's LeBron for me... fairly easily, even. I could start rattling off his stats, accomplishments, playing style, etc but the guy's resume pretty much speak's for itself now.

• Upvote 2

LBJ... please.

Kobe Bryant is everything LeDouche wishes he could be.

Kobe willed teams to victory and singlehandedly took over the NBA Finals at various points in time. A true champion, winner, great work ethic and not somebody who passed the ball up when it mattered most.

A whole lot of disrespect in this thread

636444461142458092-AP-TRAIL-BLAZERS-BUCK

• Upvote 1

I think another player that should be mentioned should be Tim Duncan.

Think for a moment... if you put Duncan on a team that isn't the San Antonio Spurs, his numbers could have been even more incredible than what they already are.

His numbers are still incredible for being on a team first Spurs team for years and years.

iverson-hear-it.jpg

Criminally underrated imo.

• Upvote 2

iverson-hear-it.jpg

Criminally underrated imo.

Would've been interesting if the 76ers had just had some average players around him. He carried those fucking teams and even got to the Finals... his supporting cast was one of the worst I've ever seen for many years and he never said much.

Another reason why LeDouche shouldn't be in this convo.

This man had literally NOTHING. Never played with another superstar while in Philly. Closest thing to it was Eric Snow... ERIC FUCKING SNOW.

• Upvote 1

Well LeBron is the GOAT imo so there's that.

I'd probably rank them,

LeBron

Duncan

Shaq

Kobe

...I'd have to think about it after that

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Eric Snow! There's a name I haven't heard in a while...

Someone explain to me how this is even a debate. LeBron James, if not the best player in league history, is hands down the best since Jordan. I would argue that he's the best ever. No player that I have ever seen has dominated both ends of the floor for so long. He is incredible, like him or not. Hating LeBron James is fairly easy, or it was until he came back to Cleveland, but allowing that hate to factor in to how you evaluate him is dishonest and flat out wrong. He's better than Kobe. He's better than Shaq. The guy is fucking incredible. But he's also 33. Enjoy these last few years of his prime before it's 20 years from now and you're looking back, thinking, "I didn't even let myself enjoy his excellence as a sports fan."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Someone explain to me how this is even a debate. LeBron James, if not the best player in league history, is hands down the best since Jordan. I would argue that he's the best ever. No player that I have ever seen has dominated both ends of the floor for so long. He is incredible, like him or not. Hating LeBron James is fairly easy, or it was until he came back to Cleveland, but allowing that hate to factor in to how you evaluate him is dishonest and flat out wrong. He's better than Kobe. He's better than Shaq. The guy is fucking incredible. But he's also 33. Enjoy these last few years of his prime before it's 20 years from now and you're looking back, thinking, "I didn't even let myself enjoy his excellence as a sports fan."

It's a debate because people love to hate Lebron instead of just realizing his greatness.

I'm a huge Kobe fan, he's the reason I'm a Lakers fan. The answer is Lebron and it's not close.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Would've been interesting if the 76ers had just had some average players around him. He carried those fucking teams and even got to the Finals... his supporting cast was one of the worst I've ever seen for many years and he never said much.

Another reason why LeDouche shouldn't be in this convo.

This man had literally NOTHING. Never played with another superstar while in Philly. Closest thing to it was Eric Snow... ERIC FUCKING SNOW.

The Sixers had a great defensive team the year they went to the finals but yeah, when Eric Snow and Aaron McKie are your 2nd and 3rd options, it's tough. Sucks they didn't get Webber until his knees were shot. If they got him like 2 years before they did they could have won a ring together imo.

btw, some of you LeBron guys are disrespecting the fuck out of Duncan. He's 2nd all time in defensive win shares behind only Bill Russell. He made the NBA all defense team 15 times (tied for most ever). He has the second most playoff wins of all time. The most playoff double doubles ever. The Spurs and Duncan's win percentage is the highest of any team in any sport ever. He's also 4th all time in rebounds and the only player to have won more games than Duncan is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

It's ok though, Duncan was never flashy. He never had the posterizing dunks that LeBron or Kobe or Shaq did and he never shot the ball at a high clip like the rest of those guys. He averaged 5 less a game than LeBron and considerably more so less than Kobe or Jordan. It's easy to say it's because of his position but other super star bigs shot more than he did too. Show this man some respect.

• Upvote 1

Dude, I am a bigger Duncan stan than you and everyone else on this board combined. LeBron is the best basketball player I have ever seen in my life.

It's LeBron.

• Downvote 1

You want to talk about team player? Lebron has over 7,000 assists (while having a modest 30,000 points btw) while playing with fucking BUMS the first half of this career.

Duncan was great. Not denying that. But Duncan could never carry a team on his back and wasn't all-around as good as Lebron (scoring, passing, defense all considered).

Lebron was the most hyped player EVER coming into the NBA. And he somehow exceeded it.

Edited by JetsFan4Life
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Duncan definitely carried the Spurs for the second ring. Manu and Parker were babies and Robinson was gone. That was the year he beat Shaq and Kobe too.

It's LeBron, if he had better success in the Finals I'd put him over Jordan.

LeBron had the greatest Finals performance EVER just a few short years ago against the "greatest team ever."

I realize Kyrie was pretty damn good in those Finals as well, but cmon, man!

• Downvote 1

LeBron had the greatest Finals performance EVER just a few short years ago against the "greatest team ever."

I realize Kyrie was pretty damn good in those Finals as well, but cmon, man!

Magic vs. The Sixers is the greatest finals performance ever. As someone who has always seemed to value you him, it surprises me that you would say this.

LeBron led every player in that 7 game series in points, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals. He's the only player ever to do that. Oh yea and he topped it off with a Triple Double in Game 7, the 3rd player ever to do that. And Magic is not one of those players.

He did all this against the team that put up the best regular season record of all time, and was supposed to defeat LeBron's Cavs easily. Meanwhile Magic's Lakers were heavily favored to win that series in 1980 anyway.

I love Magic, but LeBron is a better player than him, overall. And it was proven in those Finals. I am a bit sad that you are surprised at me for having an open mind. I understand that LeBron has rubbed people the wrong way over the years, but using that to deny or downplay his accomplishments on the court is weak.

Edited by Sarge
  • Downvote 1

Nah, I was actually a big LeBron fan when he was in Cleveland. I didn't like him for his time in Miami but I was happy to see him come back to Cleveland and bring them their championship. My opinion on it is LeBron is both underrated and overrated. Like, I don't think it's so easy to say LeBron was better than Larry Bird. Bird was the most clutch shooter ever but he was pretty great at everything else too. He made Kobe's mamba mentality look like child's play.

To try and act like LeBron doesn't stack up and isn't one of the all time greats that's in every top 5 discussion. The stats are there. He made the Warriors perhaps the greatest team to never win and the greatest team of all time. He probably le the worst overall team in a final. He can pretty much do whatever he wants on the court. He could play PG or PF or anything in between for a full season and probably be all NBA and all NBA defense. He'd probably still be an All Star if he play Center for the year.

Having said that, some of these other great finals performances they didn't need another guy to finish the game for them. I know it seems like a ticky tack kind of thing but if Kyrie misses one of those shots, what does any of it mean? It's not that the others didn't have help but that's significant for me.

I do think that with the talent of some the young bigs out there right now we're going to reminded how much of an impact they have. Can any defender be more valuable than a great rim protector? If that player is then a great offensive player too, that's pretty valuable.