seanbrock

Super Bowl LII: Patriots V. Eagles

Your guys' favorite commercial?

My rankings probably...

1. Alexa Loses Her Voice

2. Eli and OBJ Go Dirty Dancing

3. Morgan Freeman / Peter Dinklage Lip Sync Battle

4. Danny Devito Red M&M

I can tell you the worst commercial... Dodge trucks with an MLK voice over. Fuck those guys.

Dodge Made up for it with the other commercial they had

Would've been more badass if the Vikings would of made it and not taken a by week during the NFCCG

• Upvote 1

Ok, time for my miscellaneous comments on a wild Super Bowl. Take it or leave it.

• So many guys on the Eagles showed up. Pretty much everyone on offense had a great game. Offensive line was stellar, run game was great, receivers caught everything that came their way, and Foles was surgical. A lot of this game is certainly on the Patriots' woeful defense, but don't take away from a nearly flawless performance by the Eagles' offense.
  • Seriously, look at the stat sheet for the Eagles. Look how spread out everything was. Everybody got involved.
  • Our defense was a huge let-down. The Patriots' offensive line contained our front four all night (until Graham's strip-sack), and the secondary sucked. I'd love to watch the all-22 film to see how much was execution and how much was scheming, but Brady was throwing to wide-open guys all night. Once the Patriots decided to force-feed Gronkowski, we couldn't stop them. If Graham doesn't get his hands on that football, Brady marches down to the field and wins ring #6, no doubt about it.
  • Loved every one of Pederson's aggressive calls. The "Philly special" before halftime will likely be remembered most, but don't forget the 4th and 1 call on the game-winning drive. There were still over five minutes left, and we hadn't crossed midfield. I'm betting at least 90% of NFL head coaches punt the ball there.
  • When we gave Alshon Jeffery big money earlier this season, I said it was a mistake. I was wrong.
  • The mystery of Jake Elliott continues. One missed extra point, 3/3 on FGs, including the (essentially) game-sealing 46-yarder with less than a minute to play.
  • Tom Brady threw for 500 yards, the Patriots never punted, and the Eagles won.
  • During the game I was pretty much out of my mind so I didn't see many, but from what I did see, the commercials weren't terribly good this year.
  • Justin Timberlake sounded good, I guess.
  • I can't wait for the draft so I can hear the "Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles" make the 32nd overall selection in the city of Dallas.
  • Any time I reflect on the Phillies team that won the World Series in 2008, I remember how they just seemed to possess that killer instinct, that x-factor that many championship teams have, that refusal to lose. I think I will remember these Eagles the same way. Despite a ton of adversity, they only lost 2 games all year (not counting week 17 when we were playing our backups). I can't wait to watch the America's Game documentary on this team.
  • I've witnessed a World Series and a Super Bowl in the last ten years. That's not bad. Gotta be thankful for that.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

People keep talking about how the Patriots defense failed or whatever schematically which is hard to say because the Eagles offensive line was so dominant that it seemed like every play call worked. How many times did Foles get pressured? The Eagles averaged like 8 yards a carry in the running game. Hard to stop that train.

I agree with the Pederson comment with one exception. On 2nd down and 8 with 2:03 to go, I would have thrown the ball to try to win the game. The clock is going to stop anyway if the play takes 3 seconds, which I've never seen a play take less than that, and you can always tell Foles to throw it away if he needs to. On 3rd down you for sure run it to take 40 seconds off the clock, but on 2nd down in that situation, he should have gone for the throat.

Other than that, loved all of his calls. I remember in the Eagles/Panthers game we had a PF on the XP attempt after a TD and the refs assumed Pederson was going to want to enforce on the kickoff and he said fuck that we're going for two now.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the Pederson comment with one exception. On 2nd down and 8 with 2:03 to go, I would have thrown the ball to try to win the game. The clock is going to stop anyway if the play takes 3 seconds, which I've never seen a play take less than that, and you can always tell Foles to throw it away if he needs to. On 3rd down you for sure run it to take 40 seconds off the clock, but on 2nd down in that situation, he should have gone for the throat.

Other than that, loved all of his calls. I remember in the Eagles/Panthers game we had a PF on the XP attempt after a TD and the refs assumed Pederson was going to want to enforce on the kickoff and he said fuck that we're going for two now.

In theory I agree, but an incompletion brings up 3rd and 7, which is a tough spot. You almost have to run the ball there. Pederson's actual call set up a 3rd down where he could have (and should have, in my mind) thrown a pass to try and win the game. Thank the football gods Elliott drilled the kick anyway.

Edit: I was reading quick and missed where you said "throw on 2nd down and if it doesn't work just run on 3rd." Yes. That. I agree.

Edited by SteVo

Sorry if you answered this, Stevo. I'd just like to know how nervous you were when Brady had the ball prior to the Graham strip.

In theory I agree, but an incompletion brings up 3rd and 7, which is a tough spot. You almost have to run the ball there. Pederson's actual call set up a 3rd down where he could have (and should have, in my mind) thrown a pass to try and win the game. Thank the football gods Elliott drilled the kick anyway.

Edit: I was reading quick and missed where you said "throw on 2nd down and if it doesn't work just run on 3rd." Yes. That. I agree.

Yeah, you dont want to pass on the 3rd down, IMO, because you want to drain those 40 seconds. Even Brady is gonna have a tough time needing a TD with 70 seconds on the clock and no timeouts.

But the 2nd down decision it was completely without risk to throw on 2nd down, barring of course an INT, so you just tell Foles to be careful with it. He hadn't messed up all game really, the only INT was really more on Jeffrey. Just tell him hit the open guy if he's there, get closer or get the first down outright, otherwise just roll out and throw it away. Maybe even call a roll out so he can throw it away if he needs to.

• Upvote 1

Yall have to see this. I am dying over here:

• Upvote 2

The Eagles held a fake walk-through at U.S. Bank Stadium in case anyone was taping them.

Troll level: champion.

One thing to consider is that Jake Elliot seems most comfortable kicking from like 40 or so yards and on. I was pretty confident Jake had that kick indoors. I actually would have been a lot more nervous if the kick was from XP range. I mean, yeah Doug could have gone for it but I feel like he felt that might be tempting fate a bit too much when he was pretty confident he had 3 points if he just didn't turn the ball over or take too big of a sack.

I have a hard time criticizing any of Doug's game plan. What I can't figure out is why Schwartz just continued to give that huge cushion on the Pats receivers. Once those routes get disrupted you actually give your pass rush a chance to get home. At least he was smart enough not to try and blitz him too much.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

This is a long watch but its a great one:

"The Philly Special: an undrafted FA running back gets the direct snap, flips it to an undrafted FA tight end (former QB), who throws to a backup quarterback who pondered retirement a few years ago."

Edited by Thanatos

Philly special is a some type of cheesesteak not a play. You guys need to get together and come up with a better name.

• Upvote 1