Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Skins trade for Alex Smith

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000912606/article/kansas-city-chiefs-trading-qb-alex-smith-to-redskins?campaign=fb-nf-sf180799582-sf180799582&sf180799582=1

Kansas City Chiefs trading QB Alex Smith to Redskins

The Washington Redskins are pegging their future on Alex Smith via the first blockbuster trade of 2018.

The Redskins and Kansas City Chiefs reached an agreement in principle Tuesday to trade Smith to Washington for cornerback Kendall Fuller and a 2018 third-round draft pick, a source informed of the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. The trade agreement, according to Rapoport, is expected to be finalized Wednesday.

As part of the agreement, the Redskins are giving Smith a four-year contract extension worth $94 million with a whopping $71 million in guarantees, sources told Rapoport and NFL Network's Tom Pelissero. Smith's contract from the Chiefs was slated to expire at the end of the 2018 season.

The Kansas City Star first reported the trade agreement.

With Smith set to be the Redskins' new quarterback, Washington is expected to let Kirk Cousins test the free agency waters. Cousins has played the last two seasons under the franchise tag and could potentially become the highest-paid player in NFL history.

Cousins fetched just under $24 million under the tag in 2017, and he's poised to generate plenty of interest from teams potentially willing to pay top money for a passer of his caliber. Several teams, including the New York Jets, Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns and Arizona Cardinals could be part of the potential Cousins sweepstakes.

As for Smith, the 33-year-old is set to start over with his third team after being displaced by another up-and-coming passer. The 49ers parted ways with Smith on the heels of Colin Kaepernick's breakout 2012 campaign, and Kansas City is looking ahead to its future with soon-to-be sophomore signal caller Patrick Mahomes.

Selected 10th overall by the Chiefs in the 2017 NFL Draft, Mahomes performed admirably in his one start, completing 22 of 35 for 284 yards in a Week 17 win over the Broncos.

The Chiefs save $17 million in salary-cap space by parting ways with Smith. He was coming off a very strong 2017 campaign (4,024 yards 26 TDs and a league-best 104.7 QB rating) that ultimately ended in disappointment when the AFC West champions fell to the Tennessee Titans on Wild Card Weekend. In his five years in Kansas City, Smith was 1-4 in the playoffs.

The trade agreement comes hours after Smith discussed his potential future during a visit to The Dan Patrick Show on Tuesday. The three-time Pro Bowler expressed a desire to stay in Kansas City but he understood the realities of his situation.

"I've been playing long enough," Smith said. "I've been through this before, the trade deal, so I'm not naive to it. This is a crazy business. A lot of crazy stuff can happen, so we'll see."

Whether Smith will eclipse Cousins' accomplishments in Washington remains to be seen.

Edited by FartWaffles

Damn, there goes my hope of the Redskins folding and trading away pieces after Cousins left. Was hoping by some miracle that the Packers would try trading for Kerrigan.

In all, it's a smart move by the Redskins if their goal is to stay afloat. But I don't see Smith being able to win a championship with that team, especially with the NFCE only getting better.

That's a cool move by the Skins. Smith will probably demand less money than Cousins, but you aren't downgrading on offense in a major way. Dude will ball out in DC. Meanwhile Cousins gets an opportunity to make bank somewhere else *cough Browns cough* and Patrick Mahomes can die in Kansas City since he'll never be as good as Smith was for them.

Trade makes all the sense in the world for the Chiefs, but I'm not sure it makes sense for the Redskins. They got an older version of Cousins, basically. Is Alex Smith better than Cousins? Probably. Is he that much better? I don't really think so.

This makes sense for the Skins too because Cousins wouldn't have signed in Washington. Too much bad blood with ownership and management. It was either Smith or start a rookie it maybe Tyrod Taylor? Washington got hit hard by injuries Thia year. They could make some noise next year if they're healthy.

Everyone I know who's a Skins fan hates the trade. They love Kendall Fuller in that fanbase. Arguably their best defender. They'll get a third round comp for Kirk at least

Not that high a price tag for a guy that was very arguably a top 5 QB last year. Chiefs had all the leverage in this deal because at the end of the day they can find a CB and just keep Smith or trade him to somebody else. Everybody knows how desperate the Skins are at QB.

Sounds like there were a bunch of teams trying to get him. It seems weird with all of the free agents, but that explains why the price was so high.

Both teams lose this trade.

Captain Kirk wins as he's about to laugh all the way to the motherfucking bank.

Redskins get an average at best QB that now... they are shelling out big money to.

Redskins signed QB Alex Smith to a four-year, $94 million extension through 2022.

He gets $71 million guaranteed. As part of the agreement on the trade to get Smith to D.C., the Skins are giving Smith some long-term security, as he had just one year left on his contract through 2018. He's now under contract through his age-38 season. It very well may be his last contract. The Redskins didn't seem to have a prayer to re-sign free agent Kirk Cousins after burning so many bridges with their "franchise" quarterback. Acquiring Smith and paying him less was the next best thing in the Redskins' eyes.
Jan 30 - 10:03 PM

They also lose a decent prospect in Fuller.

Chiefs lose because they still have Andy Reid, and Mahomes has proven absolutely nothing besides arm talent.

He makes Vick look competent in terms of reading a defense and decision making.

• Upvote 2

It's probably not as bad as I think it is. Smith has greatly improved in his years playing under Reid. And in theory getting an established QB for a corner and a 3rd round pick probably isn't terrible. However, Fuller was the top slot CB last year according to PFF. That and the fact that Smith is 34, make me ask questions. I see Smith as a QB to keep them afloat in the short term but can they really win with him? Oh and their defense has been bad for how long and they just gave up one of their best pieces who was probably a lock to resign with them? I don't know....

Personally, I did not like Mahomes but he landed in a great spot so I am interested to see how he does. Not sure the grass is greener for the Chiefs but there is no doubt Mahomes has talent...can Fat Andy harness it?

Alex is making on average like 500k less a year than Kirk made with the Skins last year. :shrug:

Guaranteed money is a lil much, but whatever.

In my opinion, I think the Redskins are morons for just not paying Cousins. Smith will give them a chance to win too, but letting young QBs with that skill set leave is just bad business if you ask me.

In my opinion, I think the Redskins are morons for just not paying Cousins. Smith will give them a chance to win too, but letting young QBs with that skill set leave is just bad business if you ask me.

And we all know what Snyder is good at.

Edited by BigBen07

Alex is making on average like 500k less a year than Kirk made with the Skins last year. :shrug:

Guaranteed money is a lil much, but whatever.

There is a big difference between paying someone that for one year who you can throw away if you need to and committing to that salary until the guy is 40.

Alex Smith is not better than Kirk Cousins. The Redskins lose this trade.

Sounds like Alex Smith is way cheaper than Kirk Cousins. I don't see how the 'Skins have the talent around him (on either side of the ball) to elevate them, though. So in terms of this putting them closer to winning a title? Yeah, I'd agree that they lose on this one.