Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

QB Chaos

Well it's looking like the new year is going to have a lot of flux at the QB position. With the Redskins already making a major move to grab Alex Smith, and the bevy of high profile QB's in this years draft, we could see a lot of shakeup in the QB situations of most teams in the league. I'm gonna try and guess who the starters on each team are gonna be.

:Pats: Tom Brady

Dude is immortal and will play until 2030. They'll draft some scrub in the later rounds to be Tom's 'replacement' again.

:dolphins: Ryan Tannehill

He's healthy again and ready to roll. The Cutler thing was just a one year stopgap. I also think they're gonna make a move for Josh Rosen, but Rosen won't start right away.

:Jets: Baker Mayfield

They pick early in the draft, the Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenburg experiments are clearly busts, and expecting anything from a one year vet deal is asking for trouble.

:Bills: Sam Bradford

The Bills clearly don't want any part of Tyrod Taylor anymore. The dude is an efficient QB but doesn't have the testicles to go for the big play when they need it. In classic Bills fashion, they get the same guy, but Cherokee instead of Black.

:Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger

Dude still wants to play for a few more seasons, and I think he can if he wants. He's past his prime, but his current state can linger in the league for a few years, especially when he's got Antonio Brown and JuJu to throw to.

:Bengals: Andy Dalton

There's a potential out in his contract this season, with only 2.4 million in dead cap but the Bengals seem intent on retaining mediocrity at the coach and GM spot, so I don't see why the philosophy would change for their QB.

:Ravens: Joe Flacco

They can't afford to let him go.

:Browns: Sam Darnold

If you throw enough shit at a wall, you get the Cleveland Browns. Welcome to the hydra, Sam. Tyrod Taylor will also be joining the hydra this year.

:Texans: DeShaun Watson

Watson looked legit for the few games he was healthy. Time will tell if he stays the course but for the moment, the Texans look set at QB.

:Colts: Jacoby Brisett

Luck is too expensive to get rid of, but I think he's fucked. Jacoby is going to play until the colts line breaks him too.

:Titans: Marcus Mariota

He had a poor season due to his injury, but this isn't changing unless he gets retired like Jake Locker did.

:jags: Eli Manning

Reunited with his old coach in Jacksonville, Eli gets a shot at redemption after the silver spoon bitch John Mara did him dirty. Blake Bortles stays as a backup.

:Broncos: Kirk Cousins

Denver wins the Cousins sweepstakes, since it's abundantly clear he's hitting the market after the Smith trade. He wants to go to the best situation, and the defense can win games with Brock Osweiler and Trevor Siemian. He'll want to go here for sure.

:Chiefs: Black Favre

Done Deal. Mahomies is gonna be mediocre for years to come.

:Raiders: Derek Carr

Spent too much money to change their minds now.

:Chargers: Philip Rivers

Rivers will be playing a long time as well. I don't see him getting ousted by a rookie this year, but the Chargers might take a flier on a guy who falls to the second.

:Redskins: Alex Smith

The Skins made the move, now they gotta live with it.

:Eagles: Carson Wentz

Guaranteed keeper. The Eagles are hoping Wentz stays healthy the whole season next year, and continues making strides forward.

:Cowboys: Dakota Prescott

Dude was a diferent QB entirely without Zeke, the Cowboys are hoping that's an aberration or they aren't going to have a bright future.

:Giants: Josh Allen

The Giants are definitely in the market for a franchise QB and a fresh start. I think they fall in love with the potential of Allen, and go with him instead of Rosen or Darnold.

:Packers: Aaron Rodgers

Duh.

:Lions: Matt Stafford

Double Duh. Matt Patricia would be silly to let him go, but Patriots coaches are known for being morons without Bills guiding hand.

:Bears: Mitch Trubisky

If you trade up for a guy, you better commit to him.

:Vikings: Case Keenum

I think the Vikings saw enough from Keenum to make him want to stay. He might be an expensive prospect, but the dude helped the Vikings win a lot of games, and he was hyper efficient for them.

:Saints: Drew Brees

Another guy who just seems to be immortal. The saints should look at drafting a replacement, but Brees could probably stay another few years despite his age. He's technically a free agent this year, but theres no way the Saints let him go.

:panthers: Cam Newton

Yep.

:Falcons: Matt Ryan

Also yep.

:Bucs: Ryan Fitzpatrick... I mean Jameis Winston

Man the NFC South is set at quarterback. Lame.

:Seahawks: Russell Wilson

Enough with the boring obvious ones.

:Rams: Jared Goff

Sean McVay made this Ryan Gosling look alike legit. Dudes weren't ready for the postseason last year, but they've got a wide open window to work with.

:49ers: Jimmy Garoppolo

Jimmy is going to demand big money in free agency, and the niners would be fools not to pay up. If they are fools, they can still at least franchise tag the guy.

:Cardinals: Teddy Bridgewater

The Vikings can't afford to keep all of their QBs, so letting Teddy goes makes the most sense. Arizona had three terrible QB's last year, so Teddy is a massive improvement for them. They'll take a flier on a rookie QB as well, like Lamar Jackson, but he won't be ready to start right off the bat.

• Upvote 1

I agree with most of this, but I kind of get the feeling the Giants are going to start Eli again in 2018. They're still going to draft someone early, but I think they just let him learn from Eli unless someone blows their doors off with a trade offer. Which they won't.

• Upvote 1

Giants need to start my boy Webb. He could be a good qb if given the right scheme. Him and Goff are ballers.

I don't think Minny's starter will be Case Keenum.

He had a nice run, but I don't believe he is the future in Minny.

Mason Rudolph becomes a Viking late in the first round.

tenor.gif

The thing with Ben is more mental than physical. After all he was easily one of the top QB's in the NFL after about week 6 or so. Usually quarterbacks who have passed their physical primes get worse as the season wears on, but The Ben got better. Also he absolutely demolished the vaunted Jags defense to then tune of 42 points in 3 quarters, proving that the regular season game against them was indeed a fluke.

That's my quarterback. :yep:

• Upvote 1

Lol @ Arizona if they sign Bridgewater. I seriously hope they aren't the team that actually lands Cousins.

The Jags should look at Lamar Jackson. I think RPO's with him and Fournette would be deadly. Get Jackson and add a couple weapons in the passing game and the Jags would have a very interesting offense imo. idk if that's Marone or Coughlin's style though. Even if Jackson doesn't work out as a QB I think he could still contribute to that team.

Lol @ Arizona if they sign Bridgewater. I seriously hope they aren't the team that actually lands Cousins.

I kind of do because the NFCW would be so much fun. Goff, Wilson, Jimmy G and Cousins in the same division all playing each other twice a year? That would be pretty awesome.

Edited by seanbrock

I am all in on the Jackson to Jacksonville train. He will be there at the bottom of the first.

And if the Cards get Cousins then the NFC West would challenge the NFC South for the best foursome of quarterbacks, assuming Jimmy G lives up to last year.

Hell thinking about it, I might give it to them immediately. Be a tough call.

Edited by Thanatos

I am all in on the Jackson to Jacksonville train. He will be there at the bottom of the first.

And if the Cards get Cousins then the NFC West would challenge the NFC South for the best foursome of quarterbacks, assuming Jimmy G lives up to last year.

Hell thinking about it, I might give it to them immediately. Be a tough call.

Be the funniest shit ever if Jimmy G turns bad lol after that deal he just got Edited by WeaponX20

Jackson can't throw though.

Heard the same thing about Cam coming out.

If Jackson played in a spread or West Coast scheme I think he could succeed. If he played in Jacksonville he would be pretty scary imo. Him and Fournette would be a deadly combo. Bortles is trash and he played decent this year. Jackson isn't a pure passer but he doesn't need to be. He just can't make bad throws all game or try to run every down. Even to this day Cam still has mechanical issues with footwork and ball placement but he succeeds still. If Cam can overcome not being a pure passer, Jackson can too imo. He's electric.

The Jags should look at Lamar Jackson. I think RPO's with him and Fournette would be deadly. Get Jackson and add a couple weapons in the passing game and the Jags would have a very interesting offense imo.

Don't even necessarily need RPOs, but a lot of play-action rollouts with a moving pocket would be great. Texans did it quite a bit with Watson from my understanding. It shortens the field for the QB, allows them to use their athleticism, and cuts down the reads they need to make. Lamar's biggest issues are accuracy to the boundary and footwork in the pocket. He's natural throwing on the move, and the rollout allows him to minimize air yardage needed to complete his throw.

• Upvote 1

If Jackson played in a spread or West Coast scheme I think he could succeed. If he played in Jacksonville he would be pretty scary imo. Him and Fournette would be a deadly combo. Bortles is trash and he played decent this year. Jackson isn't a pure passer but he doesn't need to be. He just can't make bad throws all game or try to run every down. Even to this day Cam still has mechanical issues with footwork and ball placement but he succeeds still. If Cam can overcome not being a pure passer, Jackson can too imo. He's electric.

Thing with using Lamar in spread concepts is that accuracy to the outside. If you want him to do split-field reads you better key up screens and slants because you're not getting him to hit the 15 yard comeback at the sideline. I'd much rather give him the opportunity to work his legs than put him in the pocket and ask him to hit things as a passer. Only time working spread makes a lot of sense is if you're running option & forcing defensive personnel to include a lot of defensive backs. Unstacking box & limiting LB spies would give Lamar & his RB much easier gains on ground.

:Pats: Tom Brady
Tommy Terrific ain't moving.
:dolphins: Ryan Tannehill
I don't see the Dolphins moving away from Tannehill unless they can get Baker R1. I doubt he falls that far, so I'll go with Tannehill staying the guy in Miami.
:Jets: Baker Mayfield
Darnold, Rosen, and Allen gonna be off the board. Toss-up who starts the year between McCown and Mayfield, but I'll roll Baker. I'm a fan.
:Bills: Nick Foles
Who is unable to get an immediate starter in the draft due to draft position but needs a quarterback? What team is silly enough to overpay for a SB winning guy at the most important position? I think I know a team.
:Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger
Ben is locked in stone barring injury. Franchise QB category.
:Bengals: Andy Dalton
Barring someone like Mike White getting taken R2 or R3 and wrestling job away from Andy, I doubt this changes. Andy is still the bar for what you have at QB. If he's worse, you need an upgrade. If he's better, you got a franchise guy. That bar stays stable for another year in Cincy.
:Ravens: Joe Flacco
Flacco has too much money invested in him to lose this job. Even though he shouldn't have it.
:Browns: Sam Darnold
Rosen has stated that he'd rather go later to a team that he'd succeed with. A lot of people are taking that as a dig at the Browns. The character concerns are going to lead Believeland to selecting the lunch pail guy in Darnold, even if he needs cleaned up. #1 overall pick won't sit behind Kizer and Kessler.
:Texans: DeShaun Watson
Watson did pretty damn good for Houston prior to the ACL tear. I'm not sure how long his success continues if his mobility is limited with the knee problem, but he's locked in as the starter for the next couple years.
:Colts: Jacoby Brissett
Luck is a dead man walking, and Jacoby "Biscuit" has looked good enough to suffice for a year. Until the Luck situation is cleared up and the Colts can determine what to do at QB, it's the former NC State guy running the show in Indy. Don't be shocked if they take another quarterback later on to compete with him, though. Kyle Lauletta or Kurt Benkert late day 2 or early day 3 makes a lot of sense. There are a couple guys in this class who can compete immediately for the job.
:Titans: Marcus Mariota
Mariota is still the guy, especially with new management coming in that can utilize him better. The Titans are invested in him.
:jags: Lamar Jackson
I'm not sold on Bortles holding onto his job if Lamar goes to Jacksonville, which seems to be the consensus pick for where he lands in this draft. He can make plays both land and air, and it'll open up the Jaguars offense to do whatever they want. While I'm not sold on Lamar the quarterback, I'm sold on Lamar the player. He'll be similar to what Kaepernick was during the peak of the 49ers run. Where his arm fails, his legs will make things happen.
:Broncos: Josh Allen
This is a close one between Mayfield and Allen, especially with the recent failure of Paxton Lynch. However, Allen is a much better dude than Paxton Lynch was. He's committed to improving his game and has more natural talent. He'll need some refinement with his decision-making, but he'll be able to make any throw happen. The Broncos don't have the luxury of spoon-feeding him. He'll take the reins immediately and have some serious ups and downs.
:Chiefs: Patrick Mahomes
Smith is gone. The Chiefs are all in on the gunslinger. AFC West is gonna be fun as hell with him and Allen. Expect a Denver/KC battle in thin Denver air to be something to tell your kids about.
:Raiders: Derek Carr
Invested massive amounts of money into him. No way he loses the job.
:Chargers: Philip Rivers
While there is definitely room to groom somebody under old man Rivers, the job is still his.
:Redskins: Alex Smith
Trading for Alex Smith cemented a Cousins exit. Mr. Smith goes to Washington. (Not OC)
:Eagles: Carson Wentz
Nick Foles is cool, but have you ever heard of this Wentz guy? Supposedly Jesus reincarnated. He'll keep the job easy.
:Cowboys: Dak Prescott
Dak had a sophomore slump, but he's still the guy in Dallas. Romo leaving for the booth put that in writing. Nobody is taking this job for at least a couple years.
:Giants: Josh Rosen
Arguably the best QB prospect since Luck came out, Rosen is pro-ready with all the tools to step in immediately and lead the Giants. Eli may hold the job very briefly, but I don't think he'll hold off Josh for long. The Rosen One is the future of the Giants.
:Packers: Aaron Rodgers
Didn't even need to change this from Razor's when re-writing off his quoted version. "Duh."
:Lions: Matt Stafford
Remember that bar I mentioned with Andy Dalton? He's above that bar. Franchise QB in Detroit.
:Bears: Mitch Trubisky
Went #2 overall last year. He's not budging from this starting job.
:Vikings: Case Keenum
With Teddy's health a question mark and Bradford on the ropes, I don't see a path for anyone but Case Keenum being the starter in Minnesota. I've heard a lot of people saying he'll leave instead of Teddy, but I just don't buy it.
:Saints: Drew Brees
Franchise guy. Untouchable.
:panthers: Cam Newton
Rough patch but he was MVP just a couple years ago. He's firmly entrenched as the starter for the Panthers.
:Falcons: Matt Ryan
NFC South is pretty much not moving. Another recent MVP.
:Bucs: Jameis Winston
Jameis isn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but he's got a lot invested in him and does enough to hold his job down.
:Seahawks: Russell Wilson
Arguably the most important player for any team in the league. He's held the Seahawks on his back for a couple years. He's not losing the job, and if he does the Seahawks are fucked.
:Rams: Jared Goff
Goof is actually good but had Jeff Fisher as a head coach. He's the future for the Rams without question. Same tier as the other former top 5 quarterbacks in the past several years.
:49ers: Jimmy Goatroppolo
Apparently the greatest quarterback since Tom Brady. Signed the biggest deal in NFL history (until next weekend). He's the guy in San Fran.
:Cardinals: Kirk Cousins
Similar to Buffalo in having too good of a draft position to take a quarterback early, but still in need of one. Kirk lands with a better situation in Arizona than he would have in many other places. Cardinals pay up for someone to work with for the next several years.

Edited by Chernobyl426

Blake Bortles is the Jags' guy. You all LOVE to forget he played out of his mind when it mattered.

Beating Buffalo and Pittsburgh in the playoffs with average performances after four years of atrocious quarterbacking doesn't save your job IMO. Bortles has been a liability since he took the starting role, and he's going to continue holding the Jaguars back if he stays the guy in Jacksonville.

Not taking a quarterback for his entire body of work is how we ended up with the Ravens paying Joe Flacco the big boy money.