Sign in to follow this  
BC

Why did Malcolm Butler not get put into the game?

This has become quite the story in this first hour after the game. I guess he really wasn't sick, or doesn't sound like it, at least.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/2/4/16971162/malcolm-butler-comments-super-bowl-patriots-bill-belichick

Any speculation as to what the real reason is that New England is hiding? In a super bowl that is the final game of his current contract no less?

Let's apply Occam's Razor to this problem.

Because he fucked Gisele as she moaned "Fuck the Patriots" and wants to be a Raider.

Whatever the reason is, it's seeming like a rather stupid one. Putting safeties and ST'ers out there in the secondary as it's getting ripped to shred by Foles isn't telling me he wasn't healthy, not buying that.

Butler won't be in NE next year.

Id say thats a good bet considering how outspoken he was after the game

Supposedly it's because of illness, bad during practice, possibly smoking weed, and violating curfew. :shrug:

I find this very very hard to believe, but Rapaport is now reporting that he was benched for a variety of reasons, among them the fact that he showed up a day later because he was sick, and because of a "minor violation of team rules." If this is true, Belichek is a fucking idiot and in all likelihood cost the Patriots ring #6. Definitely a black mark on the record of what many consider to be the greatest coach of all time, a position I am now going to have to re-evaluate.

"One thing that Bill Belichick said this morning was that a lot goes into it," Rapoport said. "And yes, from what I understand, there are several factors that led Malcolm Butler, one of the team's top defensive players, to not be out on the field for the Super Bowl. Among those, he showed up a day later than teammates because he was sick. Remember, he was not at Opening Night. That was a factor. I'm also told that during practice this week he really struggled. Had a rough week of practice, perhaps because of illness, but maybe because of other things. That was one thing they had to consider in putting Eric Rowe out there instead of him.

"But I'm also told there were some other issues, disciplinary issues. There was a small or minor violation of team rules that happened earlier in the week that is one thing. And then there are some attitudes, frustrations as well. All of this combined to put Malcolm Butler not on the field with his teammates trying to win the Super Bowl, but on the sideline watching."

Edited by Thanatos

If that's true...

Of course coming from a team that ordered their players to show up on time to practice during a winter storm, that shouldn't be too surprising.

Edited by BigBen07

Malcolm Butler says he never missed curfew during Super Bowl week or "participated any of the ridiculous activities being reported."

There have been a range of rumors since Butler's de facto deactivation on Super Bowl Sunday. He says they are all false. No one, from Bill Belichick to outgoing DC Matt Patricia, has been willing to weigh in on why Butler, who led the Patriots in defensive snaps in 2017, was benched for the biggest game of the year. The only thing that's clear is that Butler will be moving on in free agency.

Butler should be a cheaper option for CB needy teams. Come to the Titans and reunite with Ryan Logan. We play the Patriots in Nashville next year too. Good time to get back at them.

Fake news.Get it yet?

His jersey number and birthday date may be clues as well.No mystery.Nothing to see here.

He's telling the truth.He didn't do anything . He knows why he's out.

He still got more money than you ever will.

So you bitch at me for making money, but you demean someone because they don't make as much money as Malcolm Butler. Yep definitely a troll or the world's lowest intellectual lifeform.

Prove me wrong.

Edited by Omerta

Lol All the players smoke weed and everyone knows it.Odds are the league even provides it. It's a great pain killer

All of them ? Thats quite the claim. You got any proof ?

Not that Ive seen. Hes just okay hitting FA at this point. I hope the Packers make a play for him.

Anyone think that the outcome of the game would have been different had this not happened?

Anyone think this affects how FA plays out for him?

Nothing like this has ever happened. Quite...alarming.

Anyone think that the outcome of the game would have been different had this not happened?

Anyone think this affects how FA plays out for him?

Nothing like this has ever happened. Quite...alarming.

I mean, I'm talking to any free agent before I bring him in, so I don't think it effects free agency as looking as he's got a decent explanation. As for the game, it was close enough that I can't definitively say that sitting Butler didn't impact the outcome.

The truth will come out when he's in the free agency process. We're definitely not the only ones asking these questions. I'm sure a lot of teams already know the reason at this point.

If you're not a troll then what's the point of coming on here and posting shit like this.

The reality is that they don't need to fix out comes and story lines for profit or to help condition people. They do both of those things anyway without fixing the out comes which they would have to spend and extraordinary amount of time and money to do. Have the scales been tipped in favor for a team one way or the other? At times I think yeah but this is just so dumb dude. There's no way you're serious. Gotta give you props though because you got everyone's Jimmie's rustled.

• Upvote 1

If you're not a troll then what's the point of coming on here and posting shit like this.

The reality is that they don't need to fix out comes and story lines for profit or to help condition people. They do both of those things anyway without fixing the out comes which they would have to spend and extraordinary amount of time and money to do. Have the scales been tipped in favor for a team one way or the other? At times I think yeah but this is just so dumb dude. There's no way you're serious. Gotta give you props though because you got everyone's Jimmie's rustled.

I think that time has come and gone, him rustling jimmy's. I can finally say with a high degree of certainty I am over his stupid shit. Time to neg his dumb ass and move on. I have no further interest in engaging him. I am in the camp most are in, to ignore him until he leaves. I haven't seen somebody respond to him in a while.

Malcolm Butler can be accurately referred to as a Super Bowl hero. But in that same breath, he must also be called a Super Bowl scapegoat of sorts.

Sure, Butler's benching in Super Bowl LII wasn't his decision, so it's unfair to blame him for New England's loss. But his absence still hindered the Patriots defensively in a shootout that didn't end in their favor.

Now a Tennessee Titan, Butler knows this. Yet, he's not holding any grudges for being held out of one of the biggest games of his career, even if he still doesn't know why he ended up being a healthy scratch.

"I never got a reason," Butler told the Boston Herald. "I feel like this was the reason: I got kind of sick. I went to the hospital. They probably thought I was kind of late on the game plan; I wasn't as locked in as I should be and could have been a matchup deal. It could have been anything. But Bill Belichick has been doing this for a very long time.

"He took a veteran out of Super Bowl XLIX (against the Seahawks) and put in a first-year rookie, and that turned out right, so you could never question his decision. It didn't work out right (against the Eagles). It didn't work out the best for me or him or the New England Patriots. But I can say he won more than he lost, so it is what it is. I always have love for New England, Bill Belichick, Mr. Kraft, all those guys. Life just goes on."

Butler's life continues in Nashville, where he'll join a team led by a new head coach with his own New England ties. He brings what is still a young, budding career to his new team and is not letting the disappointing night in Minneapolis fester inside his heart.

"I'll always have love for New England," Butler said. "From the custodians to Belichick, all the way to Mr. Kraft, I love those guys, my teammates. I like everything about New England, especially the fans. Those fans, they really had love for me and they still do. I will always remember where I came from, and I never could forget."

Butler also has 61 million reasons to move on, signing a whopper of a contract with an up-and-coming Tennessee team that has assembled a group of former Patriots who figure to make an impact in 2018 and beyond. It isn't easy to get over being forced out of the Super Bowl. But the money and fresh opportunity make it a little less difficult.

I would like to bring attention to this once again now that we're almost a quarter of the way through the following season.  This was as controversial and nonsensical of a start / not start decision in the history of the Super Bowl and the NFL as a whole. He was the best player on that particular unit that got absolutely torched and continues to get torched in his absence, and the evidence supporting the decision still makes zero sense. 

The Patriots now sit at 1-2 and are as out of sync as we have seen them in the last two decades, coming off a brutal loss to the lowly Detroit Lions who will be lucky to win 6 games (sorry DMac). Malcolm Butler now of course plays for the Titans. I havn't gotten a chance to see any Titans action, but I'm curious to learn if Malcolm's play has dropped off or if he has been in the news for any character or personal issues. 

Belichick is one fascinating individual and I can't help but wonder if his decision to essentially just dispose of his best defensive player was justified, or if this was just a case of a head coach having his age, pride, and mental state get the best of him.