Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

McDaniels backs out from Colts HC job

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9281/josh-mcdaniels

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Patriots OC Josh McDaniels has backed out of his deal to replace Chuck Pagano as Colts head coach and will remain in New England.

It's stunning news, but not completely out of the blue. There were rumors Super Bowl weekend that McDaniels was getting cold feet about leaving New England. Nevertheless, those seemed to be put to rest when McDaniels was officially announced as Pagano's replacement on Tuesday. For anyone who watched ESPN's The Two Bills, the episode is reminiscent of what Bill Belichick pulled with the Jets in 2000, though Belichick had previously been on the Jets' staff. The reversal will raise questions about how long Belichick is for New England. It's hard to believe McDaniels would pass up a head-coaching opportunity unless he believed he would soon get his chance with his current club. Per Schefter, owner Robert Kraft decided to "sweeten" McDaniels' "contract, "(enticing) him to remain in New England." The Colts, who are now back at Square 1, will be rightfully furious.

Definitely makes you wonder how much longer Belichick is going to coach the Pats. The end could be closer than we think...

Or it could be that Andrew Luck's health is a much bigger concern. Who knows? :shrug:

Edited by FartWaffles

Imagine going from Belichick as HC, to Josh McDaniels.

:rog: :rog: :rog: :rog: :rog:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8354/bill-belichick

NBC Sports Boston's Tom Curran reports Bill Belichick will return as Patriots head coach for 2018 even after OC Josh McDaniels was lured out of his Colts contract.

McDaniels' stunning reversal immediately raised questions about 65-year-old Belichick's future in New England, but at least for one more year, he appears to be staying. Beyond 2018, it's quite possible McDaniels has been assured he will succeed Belichick in the immediate future. The move is eerily reminiscent of what Belichick did to the Jets in 2000.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13068/matt-eberflus

According to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, Josh McDaniels' assistants, including DC Matt Eberflus, signed contracts with the Colts and are expected to remain with Indianapolis.

Talk about awkward. So, basically what's happening here, is McDaniels recruited these coaches to Indianapolis to be apart of his Colts staff, and then McDaniels backed out of the job, leaving Eberflus and others in limbo. According to Garafolo, Eberflus and others have already been in the building in Indy, breaking down film and whatever else, while they waited for McDaniels to officially be introduced. Now, the new Colts coach will be stuck with assistants he didn't hire. This whole situation is a complete mess with no real end game in sight.

He better hope he eventually gets the Patriots HC job, because McDaniels could very well be black-balled by the rest of the franchises (and coaches) after pulling this stunt.

• Upvote 1

I don't really care about doing that to Indy, they are hot garbage.. Still a shitty thing to do, but they were so right for each other that its w/e. BUt doing that to guys you convinced to go with you.. and some of them are probably friends... That's pretty low.

It'll be hard for him to get a job that isn't with the Pats at this point I think.

Adding some names to the previous tweet https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/961049248811962368

who the hell would take this HC job? You're basically fucked from Go. Probably gonna have to be a guy who wouldn't and will never (future) get a HC job because.. if you are an up and coming name, there is NO INCENTIVE to take this job. none.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

I think it's time to take TGP's Goal Line Blitz talents to the NFL...

• Upvote 1

Alright then, I'm gonna go prep my resume to be the next head coach of the Colts. If I win the job I'll hire any TGPers who want a job to my staff.

:p

• Upvote 1

Man, that's a fucked up thing to do on McDaniels' part. I realize the Colts are garbage and it couldn't happen to a better franchise, but I also agree with several of you that this lowers McDaniels' standing across the league. He must be convinced Belichick is on the outs in the next 2-3 years.

Alright then, I'm gonna go prep my resume to be the next head coach of the Colts. If I win the job I'll hire any TGPers who want a job to my staff.

:p

Pencil me in as the "salary cap guy." I want my own office.

• Upvote 2

I will be your OC, years of watching Mike Shula has taught me how to run an offense.

Josh Mcdaniels...

From what I have read, never officially signed the contract.

I don't care who you are, if you announce an HC before they officially sign you are a dumbass. Sure, it's a shitty thing for McDaniels to do... however you made it a lot easier for him to have second thoughts by not going through the proper process.

Colts are stupid and the Pats fuck them in the ass yet again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Colts are idiots and fuck McDaniels for reneging anyways.

Honestly, this is a win for the Colts. McDaniels is a hack who has just rode Brady and Belichick's coattails.

According to ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss, OC Josh McDaniels was given "no assurances" that he would succeed Bill Belichick as New England's next head coach.

Most assumed that McDaniels' primary reason for leaving the Colts at the altar was that he had been tapped as Belichick's eventual successor, but apparently that's not the case. In fact, McDaniels has said privately that he'd prefer not to succeed Belichick in New England, feeling that it would be a "hard act to follow." It appears McDaniels was hesitant to move his family, including his four children, to Indianapolis, and was persuaded to stay in his current position after getting a "significant raise." Belichick, who acts as the Patriots' de facto GM in addition to his head-coaching duties, also promised to give McDaniels a voice in roster construction and salary cap decisions. It will be hard for McDaniels to get another head-coaching job outside of New England after flaking on the Colts.
Source: ESPN.com

Agent Bob LaMonte says he has terminated his relationship with Josh McDaniels in the wake of McDaniels' surprising decision to turn down the Indianapolis Colts' head-coaching job and remain the offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots.
"My word is my bond," LaMonte told Sports Business Journal on Wednesday. "Once you break that, there's nothing left."
A source told ESPN's Dan Graziano that LaMonte was stunned Tuesday when McDaniels informed him that he would not accept the Colts job and instead would stay with the Patriots.
LaMonte expected the phone call from McDaniels to be a question about preparation for Wednesday's scheduled news conference in Indianapolis, the source told Graziano. When McDaniels told him he was staying in New England, LaMonte replied that McDaniels was "committing professional suicide," according to the source.
LaMonte also is the agent for Colts general manager Chris Ballard.
This is not the first time LaMonte and McDaniels have parted ways. They have worked with each other on and off over the years.

I'm really not surprised, the agent has his own reputation to watch out for, and this could do more harm to him than McDaniels if he doesn't cut ties, though that last note does make things a little weird, wonder if the two knew each other before getting into their professions.

I really do think this is professional suicide for McDaniels, let's do this as a thought experiment, suppose you're a GM/owner next season that needs to hire a new coach, do you even bring McDaniels in for an interview? How much does this move impact your decision? I know I wouldn't even consider talking to him after this shit, but I'm not sure I'd hire him anyway given what he did in Denver.

I know personally I would have never touched McDaniels with a ten foot pole after what he did to this franchise already. Dude is a weasel and I have no respect for him as either a coach or as a human being. Surprised he was a candidate for a lot of teams honestly, and I hope no team ever offers him a coaching job again. But... that's not going to happen, because teams are dumb, and he's white.

I think he'll eventually get offers again as people attempt to give him credit for Brady and Belichick's success. This move was a slimeball move, but that didn't keep the NBA from hiring Billy Donovan after he did the same thing.

I'm really not surprised, the agent has his own reputation to watch out for, and this could do more harm to him than McDaniels if he doesn't cut ties, though that last note does make things a little weird, wonder if the two knew each other before getting into their professions.

I really do think this is professional suicide for McDaniels, let's do this as a thought experiment, suppose you're a GM/owner next season that needs to hire a new coach, do you even bring McDaniels in for an interview? How much does this move impact your decision? I know I wouldn't even consider talking to him after this shit, but I'm not sure I'd hire him anyway given what he did in Denver.

I was going to reply, but Milla nailed it, IMO:

I think he'll eventually get offers again as people attempt to give him credit for Brady and Belichick's success. This move was a slimeball move, but that didn't keep the NBA from hiring Billy Donovan after he did the same thing.

As long as New England has success, teams will try to poach their coordinators to replicate that success, no matter McDaniels' past--or the past of other failed Belichick lieutenants.