Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Best Player in the NFL, 2018

Procedural point to talk about: are we restricting this list to active players? If so, we'd have to withdraw players who have retired, like Joe Thomas.

I think we're a little too far into it to make that sort of change, maybe just call it as of the 2017-18 season?

Yeah I think you should keep Thomas in.

Alright then Thomas stays. The voters shall ultimately decide his fate.

Just so everyone knows...I'll be posting the final two groups of the Elimination Round tomorrow. I will be offline Thursday through Monday, roughly, so please keep all topics active during that time. When I return, I shall set the bracket and the double-elimination tournament will begin.

Razor, I give you full authority to tally votes and close voting as you see fit. I'll try to post my own ballots with the topics when I post them tomorrow night.

Ok! Four groups to go, two of which close at the end of business tonight. I'm hoping we can close the other two tomorrow after one last surge of votes, and then the first of the bracket topics can go live either tomorrow night or Thursday morning. I'll also post some statistics about the 128 players we've selected by position, team, etc.

WE WANT THE BRACKET!

Trying to get it here. Anyone know how to upload a picture of an Excel spreadsheet to the internets OR attach it directly to a post?

I've always used google drive if I wanted a spreadsheet out in the open for everyone to see. As for uploading an image of the spreadsheet, it's best to upload to an image uploading website like imgur, then copying the link from there. A third option is just to use a bracket making program like Challonge or Bracketmaker

This is a little late, but here is some data on the 128 players TGP selected to be part of this double-elimination tournament.

Players by Position

18 Edge Defenders

16 Wide Receivers

16 Safeties

14 Interior D-Linemen

13 Quarterbacks

10 Cornerbacks

9 Offensive Tackles

9 Linebackers

8 Offensive Guards

6 Running Backs

4 Centers

4 Tight Ends

1 Kicker

-----

60 Offense

67 Defense

1 Special Teams

Players by Team

Every team has at least one player; the following teams have more than three.

:Eagles: 8

:Vikings: 8

:jags: 7

:Cowboys: 6

:Falcons: 6

:Rams: 6

:Ravens: 5

:Seahawks: 5

:Steelers: 5

:Texans: 5

:Titans: 5

:Cardinals: 4

:Chargers: 4

:Giants: 4

:Packers: 4

:Pats: 4

:Saints: 4

So how did we determine the losers matchup? It seems to me we could get a few people in over others who should be in merely because those others drew two bad matchups.

The bracket is designed for highest vs. lowest, so in the first round of the Winners Bracket, it's #1 vs. #128, #2 vs. #127, and so on, right down to #64 vs. #65. The Losers Bracket is then set up so that, in theory, if all the higher seeds win, the next round is #65 vs. #128, #66 vs. #127, and so on.

DAMN everyone jumped on these Losers Bracket polls fast. Any objections to me closing them down tonight? (That would keep them open longer than 24 hours.)

DAMN everyone jumped on these Losers Bracket polls fast. Any objections to me closing them down tonight? (That would keep them open longer than 24 hours.)

No objectives

No subjectives either. :p

• Upvote 2

Cherry broke a tie and created another. So we wait for more votes.

Also, in the first round of the Winners Bracket, based on seeding, there were only 7 upsets out of 64 matchups, so we did a great job setting the bracket--and 4 of those were a #9 seed "upsetting" a #8 seed who automatically qualified by being the best player on their team. The other upsets were:

(10) Kelechi Osemele def. (7) Rodney Hudson

(11) Jason Peters def. (6) Ryan Kerrigan

(11) Matthew Stafford def. (6) Mike Evans

Went through the bracket SteVo posted personally.

Here are my top-10:

1. Aaron Donald

2. Luke Kuechly

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Von Miller

5. Tom Brady

6. Antonio Brown

7. Khalil Mack

8. Zack Martin

9. DeAndre Hopkins

10. Patrick Peterson

• Upvote 1

I know this would result in more polls, but I think asking us to rate the top-8 of 17 like we did here: http://thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/80746-bpitnfl-ranking-round-65-81/

And then taking all 16 players and ranking them based on that results in a very weak back half of those 17.

For example: if one person feels that someone is good and the others do not, they could put them at +3 or +4 and they end up 9th out of the 17 based on that ranking alone, whereas if we had also voted on the back 9, we would have multiple people's opinions on those players.

So for this particular example, I feel it would be better if we had just ranked people #65-72 based on the results of that poll, and then took another poll for #73-81 with the 9 players left. Just my opinion, ofc.

I get its a massive time investment, so if its just done to save a bit of time and we don't care too much if someone is 76th instead of 73rd, then that's fine, just pointing out a flaw in the system.

Edited by Thanatos

There's no doubt this system has many imperfections, but we're too late in the process to fix it. Lessons for next year--or whenever we do this again.

I dont really see how its too late, we simply take the other people in that group and throw up another poll with them in it.

Unless I'm missing something there.

:pls:

Anyone else care to comment here?

It's not a big deal, lmao.

Depends how accurate we are concerned with being at 73-81.

I'm something of a perfectionist, so typically I'd be with you, but interest/activity in our polls seems to be waning. I think we need to wrap this up as soon as possible. We are on the home stretch, though.

• Upvote 1