Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Bucs Release Doug Martin

Doug Martin's days in Tampa Bay are over.

The Buccaneers released the running back on Tuesday.

Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times first reported the move. The team later announced they released Martin.

The move to cut Martin doesn't come as a surprise after he failed to rush for 450 yards for the second straight season. Tampa will save $6.75 million on the salary cap by releasing the running back. In addition to Martin, the Buccaneers also cutdefensive tackle Chris Baker.

NFL.com

I wouldn't be surprised to see Doug Martin have a lot of success now that he's left Tampa Bay.

Martin jumps between being a top 5 runningback and being utterly replaceable. Tampa probably maxed out the value they can get from Martin, but he probably has one good year left in him.

Fun Fact: Doug Martin is the Bucs 4th all-time leading rusher.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see Doug Martin have a lot of success now that he's left Tampa Bay.

​Why? He was massively outperformed by an UDFA last year so it's not like you can blame everyone else. The dude has been horrible for most of his career except for two seasons. I always liked Doug and appreciate what he did in 2012 and 2015, but after he got paid he straight up was garbage. I'm not sure how much of a future he has in the NFL tbh, I'm sure someone will bring him to camp but it's no guarantee he's good enough to make a 53 man roster imo.

Because the Bucs have failed to develop offensive talent over and over and over again. Jameis Winston is regressing at this point. Two years ago I thought Winston would be a great player but the Bucs just can't seem to get the right coach. They drafted OJ Howard and somehow they're fucking that up too. The only offensive player that the Bucs HAVEN'T failed to develop is Mike Evans and I'm not sure you could fuck that up. The man is a monster lol.

That's not even remotely true. As you said yourself, Evans has developed. Not to mention Cameron Brate went from a no name to one of the better receiving TEs in the league. Jameis hasn't regressed either, he was injured this year and wasn't on the same page with the newer targets. When he got healthy at the end of the season he was playing extremely well. You can't just blame the Bucs for Martin not getting it done, he doesn't have speed and isn't very shifty and he's at his best breaking tackles but his body has taken a pounding and I don't think he can do it anymore. Just can't blame the team for the guy having a 2.9 ypc average over the past 2 seasons with a combined yardage total off under 1,000 yards and just 6 TDs. Other players on the offense were getting it done, no excuse for Doug. Especially when he got outperformed by Peyton Barber.