Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Jags extend Bortles - 3YR, $54M

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917453/article/jags-blake-bortles-agree-on-3year-54m-contract?campaign=fb-nf-sf182962183-sf182962183&sf182962183=1

Jags, Blake Bortles agree on 3-year, $54M contract

The Jaguars extensions keep coming, and the latest is the biggest.

Jacksonville and quarterback Blake Bortles have agreed to a three-year, $54 million contract, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. The new deal replaces Bortles' current contract, which had one year remaining on it via the fifth-year option included in his rookie contract.

The quarterback was scheduled to make $19 million in 2018. He'll instead make an average of $18 million per season from 2018 to 2020. Bortles can make a maximum of $66.5 million with all incentives and escalators included, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported.

Jags just went full-retard... :laugh:

Edited by FartWaffles

Hopefully this takes us out of the Cousins sweepstakes.

And it's dirt cheap for a QB. :shrug:

• Upvote 2

This well allow the Jags to give out bigger contracts to defensive stars and eventually give Fournette a big pay day. I see what the Jags are doing here. It could work. They're loaded on defense.

• Upvote 1

This well allow the Jags to give out bigger contracts to defensive stars and eventually give Fournette a big pay day. I see what the Jags are doing here. It could work. They're loaded on defense.

Yeah but it's Blake Bortles.

• Upvote 1

As bad as Bortles is, he's probably one of the top 32 qbs in the league, the jags as currently constructed don't need better than that. This is actually a really cheap deal for a starting qb, and they're only locked in for three years, which opens the door for drafting his replacement at any point.

Hopefully this takes us out of the Cousins sweepstakes.

And it's dirt cheap for a QB. :shrug:

Dirt cheap because.... he fucking BLOWS

• Upvote 1

lol at being a very active member on a sports forum and chastising people for discussing sports.

Sports is about bringing communities together, Phil. It doesn't just exist to exist, it gives us something to talk about and put our emotions into.

So, I'm trying to understand this from Jacksonville's perspective, and I think I've got their logic down. Here it goes:

• They came awfully close to winning the AFC Championship Game, and would have won if Bortles had played a little better.
  • They feel confident they can coach Bortles to play a little better.
  • They do not feel confident about Kirk Cousins and/or the contract it would take to get him.
  • They do not feel confident in any rookie QB they could obtain with their 1st-round pick.

If you assume all that, it makes sense to get Bortles under team control for a few years. Plus, they could draft a QB anyway. Jackson is likely to fall into the 20's, and Mayfield could too.

Wish there was some dork at ESPN that could do stats for QBs during "garbage time." Impossible to come to a consentual general agreement for what constitutes for that, but I bet Bortles is the king of it.

Yeah. It's not exactly a stat you'd think would belong to a guy as bad as Bortles... I mean... A career 80 passer rating QB with less than 1.5 TD per INT might have been good 30 years ago -- but in today's NFL? He's pretty lucky to be getting a huge pay day for not a whole lot of productivity. Has anyone gotten paid more for doing less at QB in modern history?

• Upvote 1

I hate all these stats about these QBs doing this and that before they turn 25 or whatever. It's useless comparisons because QBs starting in the NFL right out of college is a new trend compared to years past and the league is a passing league now where basically any QB could throw for 3,000 yards if they play all 16 games. A feat that would've been epic in years past is expected among any starting QBs. Not trying to trash Bortles, but all these stats don't mean much.

• Upvote 2

Yeah. It's not exactly a stat you'd think would belong to a guy as bad as Bortles... I mean... A career 80 passer rating QB with less than 1.5 TD per INT might have been good 30 years ago -- but in today's NFL? He's pretty lucky to be getting a huge pay day for not a whole lot of productivity. Has anyone gotten paid more for doing less at QB in modern history?

Sam Bradford, who got paid 65.6 million by the Rams on his rookie contract, 24 million by the Eagles, and 25 million by the Vikings over his career.

• Upvote 1

Super Bowl MVP :rofl:

If the Jags make it to the Super Bowl, which is very possible, Bortles has a good chance at winning it just because of the position he plays. Smart thing to have in your contract.

From the content with Bortles that I've been exposed to, it seems pretty difficult to dislike him. Hopefully he can motivate himself to improve.

This seems like a reasonable contract, and I hope that the Vikings are able to clear up the QB situation in a way that ensures we can bring back players like Barr, Diggs, Kendrick, and probably Thielen who might be in for a bigger payday if he keeps up his production.

Honestly it wasn't even Bortles needing to play better in the AFCCG, he played well. The defense deciding to go zone in the second half fucked them so hard.

Sam Bradford, who got paid 65.6 million by the Rams on his rookie contract, 24 million by the Eagles, and 25 million by the Vikings over his career.

I don't like using the guys rookie contract who was the final #1 pick without the wage scale in place as example, but I do give you the other two.. Even considering his time in Philly and then in Minny were better and then MUCH better than anything Bortles has done in Jacksonville.

Something to consider though is.. Bradford had to go to those different teams. He had to wipe the slate clean and go somewhere that thought they could do better with him. It's not like the Rams took Bradford... he sucked... and then they extended him -- which is essentially what Jacksonville just did.

And to Sean... Sure anything is possible. And historically Bortles is extremely streaky and inconsistent so I could see it happening. Heck, if the Jags want to win a title they might need to be on the benefited side of that streakiness... Kind of like they were during this last playoff run.

First of all, Blake Bortles by was no means completely bad this past season. He had bad moments and maybe a handful of bad games, but for the most part he was very solid. You factor in that he was working with washed up Allen Hurns + No names at WR and had almost nothing at TE, and you have to wonder how good he could be with better weaponry. I think Dede Westbrook will take over the #2 spot next year (fuck Marquise Lee and Allen Hurns lol).

The playoff game against Buffalo was not pretty, but it wasn't for either team offensively. Then Blake was a fucking flame thrower against Pittsburgh, and you can bitch all you want about his game against New England, but he was more than good enough to win that game. The supposedly "great" defense fucking disappeared in the second half, even with Gronk out of the game. Don't blame that loss on Blake Bortles. The defense had a 10 point lead going into the 4th quarter, and let's not forget about the blatant DPI the Patriots were getting away with all fucking game, which includes Gilmore's swat away on the 4th down that effectively ended the game. Jacksonville nearly won that game playing 11 on 17, or however many game officials are present plus 11.

To handicap your financial flexibility when you have a perfectly good option at QB would have been stupid as all get out. This is the smart move, believe it or not. Blake isn't a guy I'd choose to build around, but when the rest of the team is built like Jacksonville is? Fuck yeah, I'd sign him for cheap over throwing an arm, leg, and six toes at Kirk Cousins or putting Eli Manning behind that shoddy OL.

The Jaguars have benched QB Blake Bortles.

Bortles' play had left the Jags with little choice. Running a risk-averse offense the past two weeks, Bortles was allowed to convert just 22 passes. Even with the emphasis on avoiding mistakes, he still tossed two interceptions in Sunday's narrow loss to the Bills. Aside from a fluky 35-touchdown campaign in 2015, Bortles has never shown any signs of progress. His throwing motion is the worst in the NFL. Bortles' Mark Sanchez-esque extension is looking like a major blunder for GM Dave Caldwell. Bortles is due a $1 million roster bonus in March, and $6.5 million of his $14 million 2019 salary is guaranteed. Cody Kessler will start the final five games of 2018 before the Jags begin the search for a franchise quarterback in the offseason.

Cody Kessler will be the Jaguars' starting quarterback going forward.

A textbook game manager, Kessler will be tasked with handing the ball off and avoiding turnovers for the Jaguars' final five games. Kessler has some intriguing options at receiver, but the Jags' run-heavy emphasis and inability to establish the wideout depth chart will make Kessler a low-ceiling fantasy option. He will struggle for QB2 value, including this week against the Colts.

End of an era.  Here's hoping we don't spend the next decade being sub-.500 before finally having a winning season.

They didn't have the space for Kirk (without cutting some other players). The real question is why they didn't even go after a guy like Teddy. The Bortles contract extension was comically stupid the second they gave it, and wouldn't stun me if it ends up being a fireable offense for all involved.

At least for this season:

Pats game gets changed to a loss

Titans game gets changed to a win.

We still probably lose to the Chiefs and Cowboys.

Colts game is a tossup, but probably a win.

Steelers game would've still been the snf game with would've been a loss.

Bills game is a win.

So, 6-5, instead of 3-8