Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Hawking Describes 'Existence' Before Time Began

Maybe I am crazy, but this kind of stuff excites the hell out of me. So fascinating, even if it is just conjecture and speculation.

"Nothing was around before the big, big bang," Hawking said. "According to Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, space and time together form a space-time continuum or manifold which is not flat but curved by the matter and energy in it."

Hawking went on to basically explain that before the Big Bang, time didn't exist.

So, yep! Mind sufficiently blown.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

An absolutely fascinating concept that I can NOT begin to comprehend. Astronomy, and our universe as a whole, really, is amazing.

Not crazy at all. This stuff is fascinating and it only makes it more intriguing that our understanding of the universe is so limited.

Edited by OSUViking

Hawking absolutely annoys the shit out of me. He is the one physicist I can't stand. Give me kaku, plank, Einstein, Bohr, Rontgon, Curie, Marconi, Tyson, or a littany of others. I don't find his insights all that amazing or profound.

Hawking absolutely annoys the shit out of me. He is the one physicist I can't stand. Give me kaku, plank, Einstein, Bohr, Rontgon, Curie, Marconi, Tyson, or a littany of others. I don't find his insights all that amazing or profound.

All because he's in a wheelchair? SMH

(I'm joking for the record)

Nailed it lol. #brilliant lol.

He just proved that God doesn't exist... right to God's face. :smug:

R.I.P

You can't even prove Einstein was a real guy

Einstein_laughing.jpeg

You guys realize that responding and negging PE probably gets his dick hard right? :yao:

Carry on though.

• Upvote 2

I don't think it does. I think engaging him so he can keep spewing his bullshit is what he's him off. I am just doing my part to make sure his status of the most hated and worthless pile of shit to ever litter TGP with their presence sticks. I shall not allow bangy to go down as the biggest fail ever...

I find it interesting you care though lol. Face it, what he used to contribute as far as people posting with him carries on, we just do it without him now lol.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/stephen-hawking-100-years-colonize-planet-article-1.3142345

This is why I could not stand Hawking. I think he is vastly overrated. Now that he is dead people are saying he is the greatest physicist since Einstein. Sorry but he is not top 3 since Einstein.

He can't hold Kaku's or Tyson's nuts.

• Downvote 1

If you think Neil DeGrasse Tyson is in the same ballpark as Stephen Hawking I have to vehemently disagree.

Hawking contributed so much to the field of physics throughout his entire career.

You are going after things Hawking said when he was very old. Most physicists making the argument you describe would tell you Hawking's contributions to physics well before he was 75 is what puts him in that category of top-3 since Einstein. Lately, Hawking made a lot of bold predictions that had quite a few people disagreeing with him, but that doesn't erase or minimize the impact he had on the field with his previous contributions.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 2

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a buffoon that rode the coattails of Sagan and only cares about his image and being the lamer, "hip" version of Bill Nye (personality-wise).

Also, I find nothing wrong with Hawking's quotes in that article. Unless you just read the headline.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Saying he is a bufoon is a bit disingenious. I put him in there for one reason. He has made physics popular. It is tiring that he is going the way of the hipster but he has done more to popularize physics than maybe any physicist ever.

So if we are talking strictly academia give me Witten, Sagan, Kaku, Thorne, Sakharov, or Wheeler.

All Hawking did was three things. Say black holes emit radiation, which nearly everything does. Not profound. Say there is a high probability aliens exist...not profound. and always tell people the world is ending soon. I wonder if that could have been painted by his disease and maybe made him a bit jealous ? He never said that when he was healthy. He was brilliant for sure, but he is not as impactful as some physicists and pales in comparison with others academically.

I'm not smart enough to rank physicists, personally. :shrug: