Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Panthers acquire Torrey Smith

Panthers acquired WR Torrey Smith from the Eagles in exchange for CB Daryl Worley.

It's a coup for the Eagles, who were probably going to cut Smith anyway. The 29-year-old was productive early in his career but was mostly a non-factor last season, reeling in just 36-of-69 targets for 430 yards and two touchdowns. The Panthers sorely missed Ted Ginn's deep prowess last year but Smith, who is due a whopping $5 million in 2018, isn't the answer. Smith's departure should open up more snaps for Mack Hollins in Philadelphia.

And, fun fact:

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/972190712371597312

Edited by Vin
  • Upvote 1

Marty Hurney already starting to burn it down.

• Upvote 1

Why, Carolina?

Lol

• Upvote 1

We were going to release him anyway, so this is a good deal for us. Apparently the Eagles wanted to draft Worley in 2016, so they've had their eyes on him. Smith has got talent and made a lot of big plays for us this year, but for every great catch there's a mind-boggling drop. Still he's a great dude and helped us win a Super Bowl. Much respect and best of luck to him in Carolina.

As for the Panthers, I get this trade for them because they can keep Smith at a very reasonable $5-million salary. If he hit the open market he could easily surpass that.

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

This is a terrible terrible trade, IMO.

We lose Daryl Worley, Stevo had asked me for the lowdown on him. Here it is:

Worley's rookie season was good, not great. He was ranked as the #10 rookie defensive back that year according to PFF (Bradberry was #1 that same year). His problem is his press coverage and the simple lack of an ability to get physical. When he tried to cover Julio a few times, JJ just shrugged him off like he was a flea. His best and most natural fit might be at FS. Year two both of our corners regressed, but Worley in particular fell off a cliff. We had to shade coverage to him so hard that it left Bradberry completely on an island, an island which he couldn't really handle yet, but he could certainly handle better than Worley. Worley was mentally broken partway through the season, WRs were getting in his head left and right, he was playing ten yards off of guys so that he didn't give up a big play, even directly contrary to defensive instructions. There are multiple clips of Luke yelling at him to get up on his man and Worley halfheartedly moving a couple steps towards his guy.

So perhaps he can't really play corner in the NFL, but IMO that remains to be seen. He's very cheap (650k this year), and a young dude who definitely can be taught by the right people, and we give that up for an aging "speedster" on a 5.5mil contract? (The highest contract on the Panthers for a WR by a couple mil).

Just a terrible deal, IMO. Panthers forums sucking Hurney's cock about it though, because they want to believe we're not about to become a train wreck again. I get it, I'm annoyed too that the rest of Cam and Luke's prime is about to be wasted. I understand not wanting that to be true.

Its worse for me, because I truly think Cam is easily a top-5 QB if they'd get him some training on his footwork and actually give him some weapons, and Luke is easily a top-5 defensive player and a top-2 MLB without doubt.

And yet despite having the two captains of your offense and defense be great players, one SB appearance is all we're likely to get unless the new owner brings a set of brass balls with him and instantly fires Marty Hurney.

• Upvote 1