Bucman

2018 Baseball Thread

Pawing through some statistics and learned something crazy. The Houstan Astros not only lead the league in team batting AVG (.265)

but they also lead the league in team ERA (2.84)

Does anyone remember this happening before? That's just INSANE. How do you best a team like that?

Nice to see we aren't buried in league stats. 16th in ERA (we were 13th before we went to NYY and BOS) and 4th in team batting AVG. Jean Segura hanging in there with Mookie Betts and Jose Altuve in the mid 300s. What a freaking star he's become.

In response to Sparty... Paxton isn't the only good pitcher. Marco Gonzalez (4.04 ERA) ranks 46th, and Mike Leake (4.14) ranks 48th.

Edited by BC

In regards to your question BC, the 1995 Indians did it in a strike shortened 144 game season. They lost to Atlanta in the World Series in 6.

Edited by BigBen07
  • Upvote 1

Pawing through some statistics and learned something crazy. The Houstan Astros not only lead the league in team batting AVG (.265)

but they also lead the league in team ERA (2.84)

Does anyone remember this happening before? That's just INSANE. How do you best a team like that?

Nice to see we aren't buried in league stats. 16th in ERA (we were 13th before we went to NYY and BOS) and 4th in team batting AVG. Jean Segura hanging in there with Mookie Betts and Jose Altuve in the mid 300s. What a freaking star he's become.

In response to Sparty... Paxton isn't the only good pitcher. Marco Gonzalez (4.04 ERA) ranks 46th, and Mike Leake (4.14) ranks 48th.

Look at those ERAs, lol. That's nothing on Severino's, Verlander's, Cole's, Sale's.... I'm just saying Mariners are an easy out in the playoffs. They won't win a playoff series.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In regards to your question BC, the 1995 Indians did it in a strike shortened 144 game season. They lost to Atlanta in the World Series in 6.

Thank you for that piece of new information and adding something of substance to the thread.

Yadi leading NL catchers in HRs after missing a month of the season :smug:

Too bad like 85% of the rest of the team makes me :angry: lol

Yadi leading NL catchers in HRs after missing a month of the season :smug:

Too bad like 85% of the rest of the team makes me :angry: lol

Good thing the Cards have the better chance of recovering in the offseasons than lolToronto.

Edited by BigBen07

I don't get the Pirates trade for Archer at all. I get he has more control than Cole, but they gave up way more for Archer than they got for Cole.

Phillies did a good job at the deadline. If they can pick up a good lhp in a couple weeks with a waiver power move they'd look pretty complete but they're still not that good defensively at all.

I don't get the Pirates trade for Archer at all. I get he has more control than Cole, but they gave up way more for Archer than they got for Cole.

Deals in July are always more expensive than deals in the winter.

Phillies did a good job at the deadline. If they can pick up a good lhp in a couple weeks with a waiver power move they'd look pretty complete but they're still not that good defensively at all.

That's a fair assessment. All things considered we're way ahead on the rebuild schedule and Gabe Kapler looks like a solid manager. We just have to enjoy the ride this year because it's going to be a tight division race. Everything after that is gravy.

(The last time I talked about gravy, the Eagles won the Super Bowl, so...)

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

Cubs are a frustrating team to watch, but hanging in nonetheless. Hopefully they can snap the inconsistency by September.

Jacob deGrom is having one of the best seasons ever for a pitcher. If the Mets scored just 2 runs in each of his starts, he would be 20-6. 20 and fucking 6. 

deGrom more like deGAWD

We got two tiebreaker games in the NL! Dodgers and Rockies for the West, Brewers-Cubs for the Central!

Pirates were pretty much what I expected this year. Have some decent young talent, but need more bats and one more reliable arm.

Holy shit! NL WC game was a nailbiter! That 7th inning in particular... wow. How the Rockies escaped that without surrendering at least 2 runs is awesome. And that was with a catcher's interference AND wild pitch happening! And three consecutive 2 out singles in the 13th prove to be enough. Hats off to Freeland for his amazing start. 

Rockies moving on to Milwaukee for their NLDS! Game 1 of that goes Thursday at 5:07 PM.

Gerrit Cole is amazing. I hate that he had to leave Pittsburgh to do it, but I'm rooting for Houston to get the repeat. 

52 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Gerrit Cole is amazing. I hate that he had to leave Pittsburgh to do it, but I'm rooting for Houston to get the repeat. 

Agreed on Cole. I'm glad he got a chance to prove himself.

Same here re: Astros to repeat. :)