Def. Le'Veon Bell 9-2

QB Drew Brees :Saints:

Ranked #1 player on Saints

Def. David Bakhtiari 9-2

Def. Carson Wentz 13-2

Def. Fletcher Cox 8-3

Def. Rob Gronkowski 9-2

Rodgers > Brady

Somewhat close, but Rodgers does more for his team than Tommy Boy does. Rodgers missing time over the past coupla seasons makes this closer then it would normally be.

Brown > Donald

Could have gone either way with this one, that's for sure. The top receiver vs. arguably the best interior defensive lineman. Sure Donald's competition is stiffer, but Brown is absurdly dominant at his position, just the same. This is honestly just a matter of preference.

Miller > Mack

They're basically neck and neck, but I think Miller is just a shade more important and impactful for his team than Mack is. So fite me.

Brees > Kuechly

Kuechly shouldn't be this high, not anymore. I'm remiss to take a QB over a defender, but Brees has earned the accolades over his career, and is fair game for number 1 in this year's list.

As an aside, here's how I rank the 8 right now, although the top 5 are virtually interchangeable at this point for me.

Von Miller

Drew Brees

Antonio Brown

Khalil Mack

Aaron Donald

Aaron Rodgers

Tom Brady

Luke Kuechly

Edited by RazorStar

As per usual, I have to lay out why Razor is wrong on most of these. :p Especially somehow giving Arod the nod over Brady but then saying Luke shouldn't be here, I presume because of the same thing: injuries.

Brady > Rodgers

And its not even close. Even when Arod is completely healthy, this is still a 1a and 1b thing, and Arod's injuries the past two seasons give Tom this easily. Honestly don't see an argument for Rodgers at all at this point.

Donald > Brown

This is the best wideout in the league versus the best Dlineman in the league, but I have to give this one to Donald. Donald is a wrecking crew and singlehandedly decimates Olines like no one else. Not gonna argue too hard with someone who goes Brown here though.

Miller > Mack

Very very close, but the edge goes to Von. For now. Mack had an underrated 2017, he was basically the only thing keeping the Raiders defense afloat.

Kuechly > Brees

Drew Brees being up this high is the one player in this group that I strongly disagree with. He's here because he's a QB not because his current skill level, (he is absolutely a hall of famer overall though) is on par with the other 7 in this group. Luke is the heart of the Panthers defense and the best MLB in the league. Brees is a distant 3rd in QBs, at best.

Edited by Thanatos

Thantos Drew Brees is better than Arod and TBrady if hes to high for you then so should they

And sorry but Drew Brees is better than Luke Kuechly

I think you're giving Tom far too much credit for the work of his scheme and the matchup impossibility that is Gronk. Although to be absolutely fair, Calais Campbell should have beaten both Rodgers and Brady this year and we shouldn't even be having this discussion. >_>

Thantos Drew Brees is better than Arod and TBrady if hes to high for you then so should they

And sorry but Drew Brees is better than Luke Kuechly

Five rings to one says otherwise. Brees is not better than TB or Arod overall. Right now you could make an argument for Brees over Arod given Rodgers injuries the past two years, but he is absolutely not better than Brady.

And no he's not better than Luke either.

• Downvote 1

Belichick is the GOAT, but TGP, in my opinion, overrates the coaching/scheme contribution to the Patriots' success. Brady still has to go out there and make the throws, which he does better than anyone. I'm not going to say Rodgers is less talented, but as Thanatos said, the recent injury history gives Brady the slight nod.

Aaron Donald and Antonio Brown are two of the absolute best, but voting for Donald was the easiest choice of this round for me. I'm not surprised he's running away with it so far.

Von Miller/Khalil Mack was a damn near coin flip for me. I'm surprised the vote is so one-sided.

Drew Brees' standing at TGP seems to have been through a wild ride. It looks like he's gone from underrated to overrated in the span of a year.

• Upvote 1

Belichick is the GOAT, but TGP, in my opinion, overrates the coaching/scheme contribution to the Patriots' success. Brady still has to go out there and make the throws, which he does better than anyone. I'm not going to say Rodgers is less talented, but as Thanatos said, the recent injury history gives Brady the slight nod.

Aaron Donald and Antonio Brown are two of the absolute best, but voting for Donald was the easiest choice of this round for me. I'm not surprised he's running away with it so far.

Von Miller/Khalil Mack was a damn near coin flip for me. I'm surprised the vote is so one-sided.

Drew Brees' standing at TGP seems to have been through a wild ride. It looks like he's gone from underrated to overrated in the span of a year.

You did not just say Brees and Overrated in the same Sentence lmao

I love Brees but he's still a bit of a gunslinger and he hadn't really had a remarkable season until last year, when he was surrounded with one of the most ridiculously talented offenses in the league.

My main point in this is not to bash Brees but to say that Kuechly is better.

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

I love how you guys keep saying the past 2 or few seasons when Rodgers was completely healthy in 2016, and for the most part of 14 and 15, have to go back to 2013 for a missed game before this season. Go find me another QB that can drag the 2016 Packers from 4-6 to division winners. You can't. Rodgers wills this team to victory and is the only reason they are good. Without him you have a team that barely beat the 0-16 Browns in OT. Can any other QB do this?

giphy.gif

Than are you really trying to use the ring argument? The worst argument in all of sports? C'mon...

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Using it when its like 2 to 1 or 1 to 0 is stupid.

When its 5 to 1 we got a different story. The odds of the other QB being better are slim to none, IMO. Possible? Yes. Not in this case though.

I actually legit thought Arod was hurt in 2016. That's my bad. But I still am going to rank Brady over him, like I said when they are healthy they are 1a and 1b but putting a player that missed 9 games last year over Tom Brady doesn't make sense to me, especially when Brady had a fantastic year and rightfully won the MVP award.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

There are 52 other guys on a roster though. It's no coincidence that the Patriots have featured a top 10 defense every time they have won a championship. Look at the talent on the Packers' roster or the coaches for the respective teams. As I mentioned previously, did you see the Packers without Rodgers last year? They were a complete shitshow, 3 close wins over bottom tier teams yet with Rodgers they are a playoff team. Or 2016 with the whole "run the table", everyone including myself and other fans figured we were toast after that Washington loss. Instead Rodgers tears it up 6 games straight into the playoffs. Then beats the Giants and Cowboys. That 2016 team had no business being in the NFCCG, that was all Rodgers.

As for talent, find another QB that can make the throw above. Or any of Rodgers' hail marys or plethora of ridiculous throws for that matter.

Pats were 13th in total defense in their 2014 championship season, and 25th in total defense in their 2001 season, so uh yeah, that's simply a complete falsehood.

And he just dragged the 29th ranked defense to the SB this year and probably would have won if the coach that you all claim makes Brady superfluous didn't sit his best CB for reasons unknown. I like how you claim that the rings argument is the worst there is and then turn around and make some stupid statement like that. So what, if the Pats defense makes one more play than they did in SB 52, that somehow makes what Brady did more impressive? Narratives shouldn't change based on one play or one game.

Brady also has some ridiculous pinpoint throws. I'm not arguing he's the athlete Arod is, but if we're going by sheer arm strength, there are numerous QBs above all 3 of these guys. That's not how I measure a QB.

And again, if Rodgers and Brady are both healthy, I concede there is definitely an argument to be made. Hell, given Brady is on his way out and Arod should still have some good years left, I probably rank Rodgers as the 1a. Arod missed 9 games last year. Brady went to the SB and tore the league a new one on his way there. This should not be a contest. Not this year.

Also if Rodgers wasn't hurt in 2016 at all, then why were the Packers 4-6 to begin with? There's several QBs that could have made the 2016 Packers 10-6 overall. Two of them are in this poll.

Edited by Thanatos

I know Donald is the PFF darling and for good reason, he's a dominant football player but what Brown is doing from a statistical stand point these past couple years is up there with prime Rice, Moss and Owens. He's carving his name up there with some of the best ever at his position.

I voted Rodgers over Brady because I just think that Rodgers has the same intelligence as Brady but he can do so much more than Brady can. I think Brady has played on better teams with better coaching and that's why he's had more team success than Rodgers.

Oh I forgot that yards win games, not points. The Pats were top 10 in points allowed every championship season, 2014 was their worst at #8. You must have missed my point and somehow inverted the argument, since I'm looking at what the player does not just the outcome. So the defense making one more play to win the game makes no difference on how Brady played. He balled out during the Super Bowl. Him winning only helps the people that value rings.

You clearly didn't see that 2016 team. Please see the Cowboys, Falcons, Titans, and Redskins games for some great examples of the 2016 defense. Hardly had any running game for a stretch. It should be very telling that it wasn't until week 12 that someone not named Rodgers scored a TD. Put any other QB with them and they are toast. It took Rodgers going god mode to carry them through 8 straight wins.

When watching both QBs, I feel like Rodgers has made and continues to make more throws that leave you speachless. Brady has done some amazing things as well but from a pure passer perspective, Rodgers makes throws that are ridiculous. There have been so many throws that you are just left wondering "How the fuck did he do that?" How many times have you seen people say Rodgers is most talented QB ever or Green Bay is wasting his talent? I've seen both of those said quite frequent.

Scoring defense is a fucking dumb as shit stat that is so misleading. Total yards per game is absolutely a better indicator of how good a defense is.

How is yards allowed better? If anything it is even more misleading. Think of all the times when a team is up big and the defense just allows the underneath stuff cause they don't want to give up the big play. The opposing offense padding some stats isn't misleading? Or what scenario would you rather have? A team march it down 70 yards down the field and kick a FG or a team go 50 for a TD? Easy choice. Or would you rather have a team go 55 yards and kick a FG or a team go 70 yards and turn the ball over? Another easy choice.

I much rather look at points scored and points allowed to determine how good a unit is. Seeing as the majority of Super Bowls lately have featured teams in the top 10 of points allowed, I would say it's a good stat to use.

Scoring defense doesn't take into account turnovers returned to the 1 yard line and then punched in by the offense. It gives that as much weight as a 99 yard drive.

2015 Carolina was the #1 scoring defense, but the #11 overall defense. Generally speaking yards/game is a much better indicator of how a team will do.

Scoring defense is a horrible stat to base everything on.

It's also bad the other way, good offense and special teams can make scoring defense an inflated way to measure defenses, such as with the Patriots in 2017: https://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith/status/954324441831485440

All of this is moot because my argument is that Rodgers was hurt for more than half the year and Brady was the rightful MVP. Voting for Arod over Brady when Rodgers was hurt last year just makes no sense.

Edited by Thanatos

Fact. Both are misleading stats and are fucking horrible to use by itself to judge a defence with not one is better than the other in that purpose.

Edited by Turry

Voting is closed!

Advances to Final Four:

• Aaron Rodgers
  • Aaron Donald
  • Von Miller
  • Drew Brees

Moves to Losers Bracket:

• Tom Brady
  • Antonio Brown
  • Khalil Mack
  • Luke Kuechly

This is why a bracket isn't very helpful for ranking, we're gonna end up with Drew Brees ahead of Tom Brady, anyone care to justify that?

This is why a bracket isn't very helpful for ranking, we're gonna end up with Drew Brees ahead of Tom Brady, anyone care to justify that?

Not necessarily. Brees and Brady will have to duke it out in the Losers Bracket at some point, I would think.

Brees > Brady, the system works?

Let's put Von on the Raiders and Mack on the Broncos keeping ALL the same other defenders on both respective teams.

The fact that you all gobble Von's goo when he is nowhere near the same level as Mack as stopping the run is incredible. Yet.

I expect nothing less from TGP.

Mack on the Broncos would break records every year. Miller wouldn't be as effective when teams are pounding away at him since the defense can't stop a nosebleed.

Edited by Spread Eagle

Honestly, I do think Brees is better than Brady. I can see how it would be something that would be difficult to choose, however I don't think it's an outlandish statement to say Brees is a better quarterback. I think he has a better arm, I think his release is every bit as good, I think his pocket Mobility is better, I think his athletic ability is better, and I'm not sure Brady is any smarter. I'm not saying it would be crazy either way, but I am saying that I think as much recognition as the guy gets, he still doesn't get his full do because of Brady and Rogers. Now I think Rogers is on another level, in my opinion the guys all by himself and not even the great Brady can touch