Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

Matthew "Ice" Ryan just got paid.

5 years, 150 million dollars, 100 million guaranteed. This truly is the high life. Kirk Cousins got his few months as being the highest paid player, now a new champion holds the reins.

Although, Ryan will probably only have a few months before Aaron signs his mega deal to tip the scales again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000931322/article/matt-ryan-falcons-agree-to-fiveyear-150m-contract

Atlanta had no choice in the matter, really. And they probably wanted to get Ryan's done before Rodgers' deal came out.

That was gonna happen. Aaron said he wanted to wait until after Matt's deal as to not set some imaginary cap on his contract negotiations. It isn't a coincidence that Matt signed his deal and all of a sudden Gute (Packers GM) comes out and says they are finally making progress on Aaron's contract.

This feels a lot better than Cousins' deal.

When does it end? I mean I get they are the most important position on the field but when you are spending a 5th of the cap on QB, An 8th on a pass rusher, and a 10th on left tackle,that is almost half the cap on 3 dudes. At some point the market has to equalize or they have to get rid of the cap altogether.

Edited by Omerta

According to an article, Falcons were planning on waiting for this deal...

Then Thomas Dimitroff met Aaron Rodgers at the Super Bowl...

" I saw Aaron, interestingly enough, at the Super Bowl in the airport. He just said to me, 'We don't know each other that well, but just get this deal done with Matt first so I can get on with my life. ' "

Aaron Rodgers runs the league.

• Upvote 2

When does it end? I mean I get they are the most important position on the field but when you are spending a 5th of the cap on QB, An 8th on a pass rusher, and a 10th on left tackle,that is almost half the cap on 3 dudes. At some point the market has to equalize or they have to get rid of the cap altogether.

We talked about this in the kneeling thread. The NFL is easily the worst union of the major pro sports leagues. Matt Ryan is worth a lot to the Falcons for sure. He represents the most prolonged success the organization has ever had. He's very arguably the best player they ever had but the cap keeps the other guys salaries down. A lot of them are guys that really put their bodies on the line.

but who's paying a top player at all three of those positions? that's what the salary cap does, it forces teams to choose where they're going to spend their money and keeps teams from stockpiling top players

and the reason players are okay with the salary cap is that it also comes with a salary floor that ensures players receive a minimum percentage of revenue

Falcons gearing up for another SB run.

Ryan under contract. Retaining a majority of offensive starters.

You somehow upgrade with Calvin Ridley over Taylor Gabriel in the slot.

Falcons need some more consistency on defense and the decade long problem of someone getting after the QB. Vic Beasely is not the answer. A lot of speed on that defense, but they get pushed around up front.

Have to disagree, Cholly. Maybe if they still had Shannahan but how much higher power of an offense do they have than LA or Philly or the other top offenses? Just so happens the top teams in the conference have better defenses.