Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

BPitNFL Winners Bracket FINALS

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best player in the NFL?

• Aaron Rodgers
    • Von Miller

QB Aaron Rodgers :Packers:

635562575530743774-cxx-rodgers-26.jpg

Ranked #1 player on Packers

Def. Muhammad Wilkerson 14-0

Def. Justin Tucker 12-2

Def. Marshal Yanda 10-1

Def. Calais Campbell 7-4

Def. Tom Brady 6-5

Def. Aaron Donald 6-4

ED Von Miller :Broncos:

von-miller.jpg?w=240

Ranked #1 player on Broncos

Def. Tony Jefferson 13-0

Def. David Johnson 13-1

Def. Xavier Rhodes 11-0

Def. Jalen Ramsey 10-1

Def. Khalil Mack 10-1

Def. Drew Brees 7-3

The answer is neither of these but TGP voted for an injured Aaron Rodgers over a healthy Aaron Donald and made me very sad.

Von is better than Arod, but I honestly think this is closer than Donald/Arod.

The answer is neither of these but TGP voted for an injured Aaron Rodgers over a healthy Aaron Donald and made me very sad.

I agree with that, but this is a strange year to have this tournament. Obvious guys like Rodgers and Watt had injury-riddled years, and even someone like Donald who is probably the most dominant play-to-play guy in the league doesn't get enough of the sexy stats (sacks).

All of that being said, even though Donald was my guy, I think there are 6-8 guys I would be comfortable giving the #1 label to, and both Rodgers and Miller are in that group.

Well at least Miller is winning at the moment. I did think he'd be facing off against Donald in the finals though.

I agree with that, but this is a strange year to have this tournament. Obvious guys like Rodgers and Watt had injury-riddled years, and even someone like Donald who is probably the most dominant play-to-play guy in the league doesn't get enough of the sexy stats (sacks).

All of that being said, even though Donald was my guy, I think there are 6-8 guys I would be comfortable giving the #1 label to, and both Rodgers and Miller are in that group.

Rodgers is in the high teens on my end. I can't give a top-10 rating to a dude who was hurt for 9 games out of 16.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I vote based on what they have done expect a FEw and Rodgers is a better QB than Donald is at DE

I vote based on what they have done expect a FEw and Rodgers is a better QB than Donald is at DE

No.

First off, Donald is a defensive tackle, not a defensive end.

Secondly, Rodgers is only a better player if you take importance of position into account, IMO. I agree that if they were both healthy, there is an argument to be had. But they're not, so end of discussion.

Edited by Thanatos

Donald played a lot of his snaps at DE this year, since Wade Phillips went to a hybrid 3-4 D. Watching tape on him you can see he lines up outside more and excelled out there, although he would rotate in at times too.

As for this whole health bullshit, there were guys that missed all or basically all of 2017 that made this list so that apparently doesn't matter much. Nor is it a career threatening injury. If it was something serious and his future was questionable, then sure rank him lower but he's starting the season and he looks to be extremely motivated. He also won MVP the season after breaking his collarbone last time.

Other people who made this list who were also hurt aren't in the top-10. To my knowledge. I have no problem putting Aaron on the list, he's a great player. I can't put him on here over people who had healthy seasons and played excellent ball. I would put everyone we have in the top-10 over Arod without blinking. And that goes double for those players like Donald and Miller that you would have an argument for even if Rodgers was completely healthy.

Simply makes zero sense at all to me.

Question for ya, PD. Does your answer here change at all if Arod hurt himself in training camp prior to 2017 and didn't play a snap?

Edited by Thanatos

Gotta say this is an upset to me. Von is one of the 6-8 guys I had in mind when thinking of who would ultimately win this thing, but once I saw it was him against A-Rod, I figured he was toast.

Other people who made this list who were also hurt aren't in the top-10. To my knowledge. I have no problem putting Aaron on the list, he's a great player. I can't put him on here over people who had healthy seasons and played excellent ball. I would put everyone we have in the top-10 over Arod without blinking. And that goes double for those players like Donald and Miller that you would have an argument for even if Rodgers was completely healthy.

Simply makes zero sense at all to me.

Question for ya, PD. Does your answer here change at all if Arod hurt himself in training camp prior to 2017 and didn't play a snap?

If he didn't play a snap in 2017 then yes he would drop for me, it would depend on the injury for how serious of a drop. If it was something that could give him complications down the line, then there is room to worry and drop him a lot. But a broken collarbone isn't that big of deal and he should still be at the top of his game entering this season.

Another thing to consider, before breaking his collarbone he was putting up some good stats. Nearly 1,400 yards and 13 TDs through the first 5 games, with them increasing each game. is nothing to brush off.

It seems like there has been plenty of ranking done by looking at a player's career as well as looking their at potential. Why you see guys that barely played last year on this list and others that are still pretty young but could be a stars. So looking at Rodgers' career and that there are no signs of slowing down, he has to be a top 10 guy. I have no problem with Von beating him, or if Donald did, but I think the reasoning of injury is pretty weak.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Who is on this list besides JJ Watt- who is nowhere near the top-10- that didn't play much last year?

Sure his stats were nothing to sneeze at, but he only played 7 games.

Marshal Yanda, but again, he didn't finish inside the top 32.

It's a bit annoying having to go through each thread to find the players but off the top of my head I got Yanda, David Johnson, and Watt all making the list while playing less. Fucking Jimmy G made this list somehow,. Joe Thomas is on here too I believe and he played the same amount.

This sas been mentioned in other threads often and looking at how some have voted, you can't really just look at 2017 since we aren't doing this list every year. I was using 2017 as the main ranking factor early on but that got shoved in my face with some of the early ranking and voting.

I think Jimmy G was too early to go on the list ahead of established starters, but he's not in the same conversation given that he wasn't hurt.

Watt, Yanda, and DJ- none of them are in the top-30, much less arguing for #1 overall. 2017 should be the main factor, but not the only one you're right.

Edited by Thanatos

Ran through the list real quick and here are some of the guys that didn't play at least half the season and their respective rankings.

Joe Thomas (#21)

Marshal Yanda (#28)

David Johnson (#29)

Jason Peters (#48)

Eric Berry (#54)

JJ Watt (#63)

Deshaun Watson (#92)

Jimmy G (#94)

So there were some guys that we ranked in the top 100 that missed a lot of time, with a few playing no more than a game or 2. Now, you are right that none of them are battling for the top spot and I am actually surprised Rodgers did make it all this way. Like I said before, I have no problem with him losing to Von or Donald, but saying he isn't top 10 and using injuries as the excuse is kinda weak in my view. If it was something serious like a torn rotator cuff, shoulder, ACL, muscle/tissue injury then there would be cause to lower him as you're not sure how he will recover. But it was a collarbone, something he has already bounced back from and won MVP in 2014 and he has to be one of the front-running candidates to do it this season as well.

You said it yourself it was the same injury he had before. That's almost worse to me. You're projecting he would have been just as good, we don't know that. I prefer to rank players that played elite and the whole season ahead of someone who missed over half the season.

None of those guys are even in the top-20, and I do think Thomas is too high considering he was injured more than half the year. If Arod was at #20 or even #10-15, somewhere around there, you wouldn't hear a peep from me, that's about right for an elite player who didnt play half the year.

Technically it was his other collarbone last time and he let it heal naturally where this time he got surgery and got some hardware. There's still no cause for concern though, he's participating in OTAs and looks good.

We can debate this back and forth and it really comes down to how you look at it. If you just want to look at 2017, then sure he doesn't belong. But if you look at what he has done and what he can do, then he has to be up here on the list.

Muhammad Wilkerson was asked what made him join the Packers over the other teams that brought him in, many thought it was because Pettine. His response was because Rodgers and with him at the helm, you are nearly guaranteed to be in contention. You can't really say that for some of these other players on this list. We've seen Von dominate and still lose. Now some of that is position bias since QB is the most important but that's still saying something. When Rodgers is playing you can't count the Pack out, without him they looked like a bottom 5 team. That's a pretty drastic difference for 1 guy

IMO, that's basically irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Part of it is because of position bias? How about basically all of it? If I'm starting a team, the first like 12 guys are QBs. And after that its probably skill position players- WRs, RBs- over defensive tackles.

We are talking solely pure skill here. Rodgers did not play more than half of last season. Donald and Miller and several others did, and put up elite stats.

Your argument would have the top-10 all be QBs.

I could make the same argument for Russell Wilson. The Hawks have no O-line, no run-game- was Arod the leading rusher for his team?- and the defense was hit by injuries. Without Wilson's mobility and clutch, the Hawks are 4-12. At best. Instead they were in contention all the way up to week 17.

Does that make Wilson better than Aaron Donald? Of course it doesn't. It's solely how much a great QB can raise his team.

Edited by Thanatos

Than and PD2010 I don't want to derail the discussion y'all are having, but the people of TGP have spoken...

Voting is closed. Von Miller is the best player in the NFL. Aaron Rodgers will take on Aaron Donald for 2nd place.

So it is written, so it shall be.