Sign in to follow this  
Vin

2018 Kickoff and Anthem Rules Changes

https://twitter.com/NFLFootballOps/status/999053065314619393

https://twitter.com/NFLFootballOps/status/999055932360445952

The NFL will not require players to be on the field for the national anthem in 2018.

The media owned by the league is spinning this as a "compromise," but it's hardly that. As Judy Battista puts it, "If players are on sideline, will stand. But players may choose to stay in the locker room if they prefer not to stand." Her colleague at NFL Media, Ian Rapoport adds, "Respecting the anthem will be paramount if you’re on the sideline. Teams can also set their own policies. Compromise all around." Compromise for the league owners, maybe, but the players had zero say in this said "compromise." The owners are simply trying to keep the anthem "protesters" and "disrespecters" off the field for the song. It may not even work. If a player has strong feelings toward social injustice -- we assume they do if they're kneeling -- a fine may not be strong enough "punishment" to keep him off the field during the anthem. The NFL continues to find ways to get in its own way and fuel a fire that keeps burning.
Plus:
Edited by Vin

Lmao at the NFL crew spinning this as a compromise, and utilizing the "anthem disrespecting" thing. That was never what this was about, at all.

Owners have the right to do what they want, its a business. Love to see a big name player tell them to go fuck themselves and eat the fine.

Here's a thought: They mandated standing, but not how to stand. So stand there with your hands over your head, or raised in surrender or in a karate pose. The owners are complete assholes for doing this without involving the NFLPA in the slightest.

Compulsory patriotism, hurrah!

Here's another thought: How about go back to how it was before, and not play the national anthem at all before games. There we go, fixed. About as well as this "compromise" fixes the problem.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 2

All of these rule changes are dumb. Just get rid of the kickoff already, and instead treat it like a 4th and 15 punt from the 30. The compromise to the anthem is dumb, and I'd love to see teams either not send out their players, or have all of them sit and eat the fine just to show how ludicrous this whole thing is.

Both rules are pretty dumb lol, but what else is new. A few decades from now this will all be viewed as one the shittiest times in nfl history.

Yay to 12 more months of this drama.

I'm not touching the anthem stuff other than saying it's a really dumb decision. As for the kickoffs, eliminating the running start should actually give returners more of an incentive to return a kick that's a few yards into the end zone. As usual, the NFL accomplishes the opposite of their intended effect.

I'm with Razor. Just get rid of the kickoff already.

Lol another pretend issue you are wasting your brain space on.

There is no real issue.the nfl told Kap to take a knee. He ain't protesting crap.hes a house boy/uncle Tom.

Lol at the common man. Thinking it's important to worship a bedsheets on a pole ,during a song.

You know what Kneeling represents? It's the act of a subservient slave to a master. Kneeling doesn't protest crap.

It's another act of propaganda.

Yay to 12 more months of this drama.

Deflated balls

Video taped practice

Suspend Brady - gate

See a pattern yet?

They pick something every year to keep the nfl in your dumb ass brain for 12 months. It's all fake

Lol why would you neg rep that? You enjoyed talking about deflated balls?

Shows how dumbed down Americans are. The govt has made you so stupid..that people are debating the need to worship symbolism.

They think a 'right' needs to be written on paper for them to be allowed to do it.

People are actually hating others for whether they stand and stare at a glorified bed sheet on a pole, during a song. Did you take off your hat?

It's disrespectful? To who? You can't disrespect an inanimate object.

I don't worship symbols.

What you do around a flag won't do shit for racism or war.It changes,modifies,improves,means,proves nothing..it does nothing.

Edited by RazorStar
  • Downvote 5

I don't really care what the players do honestly...

I saw Malcolm Jenkins today say that it was never about kneeling for him, which I don't and won't argue... But if that is the case, than this policy doesn't really hamper anything for him or his cause.

Because for the "other side" of this debate... it IS about the kneeling and according to them "disrespect".

I said this months ago, but I still feel like players can make a lot more happen / change if they put their time and money into their foundations and programs -- rather than kneeling during the anthem. I don't think that really accomplishes a whole lot.

• Upvote 1

I said this months ago, but I still feel like players can make a lot more happen / change if they put their time and money into their foundations and programs -- rather than kneeling during the anthem. I don't think that really accomplishes a whole lot.

I support the kneeling 100%, but I agree with this. The kneeling has accomplished its purpose in drawing attention to a public issue. Now it's time to take it to the next level.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I support the kneeling 100%, but I agree with this. The kneeling has accomplished its purpose in drawing attention to a public issue. Now it's time to take it to the next level.

Serious question. What will the kneeling accomplish that won't be by staying in the locker room. If a player stays in the locker room, people will know why. Symbolically, I don't really see a huge difference.

I saw today that Chris Long made a comment about how this decision by the NFL is just for the bottom line (duh)... But it probably will be for a lot of players too. Idk how many will, but if they stay in the locker room and protest that way, they are only doing so to save their bottom line and not get fined. Seems kind of hypocritical.

One interesting comment I've heard about the anthem policy is that a lot of players end up in the locker room right before the game for completely random reasons: last minute medical treatment or adjustments, bathroom breaks, pregame routine, now anyone who's in the locker room for that shit is gonna have to explain what they were doing or everyone will assume it's an anthem protest. Just reinforces that no matter what you do there will be unintended consequences.

As for the kickoff rules, if I'm a special teams coordinator I'm chomping at the bit to take advantage of all of the open space return teams are going to have to leave and trying to design deep onside kicks to those areas.

Edited by oochymp

One interesting comment I've heard about the anthem policy is that a lot of players end up in the locker room right before the game for completely random reasons: last minute medical treatment or adjustments, bathroom breaks, pregame routine, now anyone who's in the locker room for that shit is gonna have to explain what they were doing or everyone will assume it's an anthem protest. Just reinforces that no matter what you do there will be unintended consequences.

As for the kickoff rules, if I'm a special teams coordinator I'm chomping at the bit to take advantage of all of the open space return teams are going to have to leave and trying to design deep onside kicks to those areas.

Before this, weren't they required to be on the sideline? Or did they just not enforce that? I didn't really pay too much attention to it, I had football to prepare for. Ha

I coups be wrong, but I didn't think there was an official policy before this

There was one put in place in 2009 because they had issues with players and staff lagging behind in the locker rooms and such.

Sorry for the neg, but I hate you....lol. kidding it was supposed to be an up rep but alas here we are.

Thats the thing too Charles. NFL committed $90M to civil rights / justice groups . Most of the players that were kneeling or protesting were done with it. There was a few who pulled out of the players coalition, but it was by and large a non issue.

Seems like the NFL just wanted to make a statement for whatever reason.

• Upvote 2

I entirely concur with Charles. Fuck the owners for doing this.

Sorry, this ain't a compromise. A compromise requires both sides to actually be involved in the conversation, lol. The NFLPA had no say in this.

Someone was saying this is posturing for the CBA renewal in a couple years, that this is a concession the owners can easily give back.

Whether you agree with the kneeling or not, the players should have the ability not to stand for the flag. Forced patriotism is not patriotism. The whole thing is ridiculous. It's playing on people's emotions they have for the flag and trying to play off of that.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 2

I entirely concur with Charles. Fuck the owners for doing this.

Sorry, this ain't a compromise. A compromise requires both sides to actually be involved in the conversation, lol. The NFLPA had no say in this.

Someone was saying this is posturing for the CBA renewal in a couple years, that this is a concession the owners can easily give back.

Whether you agree with the kneeling or not, the players should have the ability not to stand for the flag. Forced patriotism is not patriotism. The whole thing is ridiculous. It's playing on people's emotions they have for the flag and trying to play off of that.

One of my friends at work brought this up and it actually made a lot of sense to me. When those negotiations come around it's going to be one of the easiest "losses" to take from the owners perspective.

The timing is just so weird to me (as I mentioned, with most of the talk and protests over anyway) that the above really does seem like the most likely scenario and outcome for this.

Also.. I still haven't really made up my mind on the kick off rules. At face value they seem pretty lame... But I think that kickoffs will be a lot more exciting. I think we will see a lot of big returns. My only worry is actually that it might be too much... I don't want offenses consistently starting at the 35...40...50 yard line. But maybe I am too old school.

Looks like it’s the CFL for me this year.

Pussification everywhere.

The kneeling thing was on it's way out and now with this... just brings it full circle yet again.

Fuck Trump, Goodell, and every owner beside Mark Davis who abstained from the forced patriotism bs.

All planned, buddy, all planned.

The nfl's annual off season..how do we keep people thinking nfl

To what degree should your employer be able to control your speech is now the question we should be asking ourselves.

Thats a good question. When the speech of your employees begins negatively impacting your business and cash flow typically I think most of us would agree its okay to step in.

When I was serving tables if I was acting in a way that offended customers Id be told to stop. And if I didnt I would be let go.

Its kind of odd that we make an exception for the NFL and instead fight for the players right to protest.