Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Aaron Rodgers Seeking Player Option In New Deal

He basically wants an opt out so that if salaries keep skyrocketing, he can renegotiate mid-contract. Ive never heard of this before...

‪No link right now as Im at work and in a hurry :p

Edited by DalaiLama4Ever

Rodgers is a smart guy and probably made a lot of players a lot of money but man, idk how I would feel if I was a Packers fan.

Thanks Stevo!

And yeah its defintey a power grab that I am not super excited about. If he gets an opt out or multiple possible outs that continuously brings Aaron to the forefront and in the spotlight (for the front office and cap guys) while there will be other guys who need and deserve that attention and money.

Itd be a dangerous precedent to start and Id almost rather let him play out his two years then tag him for two years. After that he would be a free agent but wed have plenty of time to prepare or try to for his departure.

Another thing about the opt out it could take the team by total surprise. He says he just wants to renegotiate but maybe he doesnt like the direction of the team in three years, shocks everyone, and just leaves... Packers would be totally Fd if that were to go down and is extremely risky.

Maybe there are things to prevent that... like maybe its not a full opt out but we promise to up his salary to stay in line with the rising contracts of sub-Aaron QBs... or maybe we say he cant sign within the conference or something.

Idk....

I miss Brett Favre who only ever wanted to play for Green Bay (before we fucked him without lube or a reach around)

Don't worry because Green Bay already has the future in DeShone Kizer. Who needs a God when you can have an Emperor?

Edited by RazorStar

I would like to see what happens before judging too much or at least see what is true. As of right now it's just "sources close to the negotiations" that are saying this. What a time to be a journalist, you can say whatever you want and use "sources close to the player" as your only validation and get millions of views/clicks.

Rodgers seen talking to McCarthy? "Tension grows as Rodgers and McCarthy are seen having a heated discussion."

Just look at that Yahoo article back in March that claimed Rodgers wants out of Green Bay and only hours later Rodgers says he wants to retire a Packer. Whole bunch of bullshit is spewed nowadays, but that is the only way majority of these reporters/TV hosts have jobs.

If this is true, it makes sense from Rodgers' perspective. He is the best QB in the league but because the salaries keep skyrocketing there are plenty of guys making more than him right now. He will become the highest paid guy soon enough but what happens once Wentz, Goff, Watson, etc need new deals? They will likely surpass him.

From a fan and team view, we are fucked without Rodgers so doing whatever to please him is fairly necessary. I would guess there would be some kind of clause in there to prevent him from just out right opting out and bailing like players in the NBA can do,

• Upvote 1

Rotoworld says what he's looking for is being able to renegotiate whenever another QB tops his salary.

If true..gtfo.

On the other hand, who cares, he can't have that long left in the league, probably. Maybe.

Rodgers salary gonna keep the Pack in purgatory. WC team with upside but will always lose to the all around better teams.

Or they could just not resign him. He's an old man in this league now, and still has two years on the contract.

Rodgers salary gonna keep the Pack in purgatory. WC team with upside but will always lose to the all around better teams.

Or a bottom 10 team that is carried to the playoffs by Rodgers. And once in the playoffs, you can't count a Rodgers-led team out. That is well worth the 15% of the cap that Rodgers will get. Russ Ball is also really good at managing the cap and contracts. It's why even though Rodgers became the highest paid player based on avg money/yr when he signed his last contract, he never once led the league in cap hit.

I think we would be a WC team with even a remotely competent QB.

Now.. if we have the worst QB in the league (literally) like we did last year.. then yeah, we're gonna suck.

And yeah, we could theoretically have 4 more years of Aaron even if we don't negotiate a new deal. Assuming he would just retire, which I think he might just to piss us off. But... I think he will still be good for a few years after that... Maybe it would be time to dump him, but I'd like to get at least a couple extra years inserted in there somewhere.

They have my blessing to go ahead and give Rodgers every penny they have so they can continue to be unable to field an actual football team. Get his ego as big as it can get.

They have my blessing to go ahead and give Rodgers every penny they have so they can continue to be unable to field an actual football team. Get his ego as big as it can get.

You mean like the Seahawks are doing now? At least Rodgers has an o-line in front of him.

What ever happens has already been decided . Rogers isn't doing anything but waiting to be told what to say and do.hes just the green bay chapter in the nfl tabloid drama.

None of these players are making the actual figures you see in print. .but they still make more than you will anyway.

Lol at being concerned with a player and what he makes..what's it do your life and bank account? Nothing

You mean like the Seahawks are doing now? At least Rodgers has an o-line in front of him.

not even close. and we gucci

not even close. and we gucci

Gucci as in being lucky to make it to .500 gucci? Cause that's where the Seahawks stand as of now.

Go ahead, Aaron, go ahead and cripple Green Bay's cap even worse. We're more than good enough to beat you more times than not.

• Upvote 1

Is it really crippling a cap if he is worth every penny he is getting paid? The best player in the league is easily worth ~15% of the cap. Players that cripple the cap are ones that cashed in and haven't performed that well since like Clay and Cobb. The Packers also have a lot of cap space being freed up next year.

At least Rodgers has been able to actually make the playoffs and win, unlike a certain QB that the Vikes just gave a fully guaranteed contract to.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Is it really crippling a cap if he is worth every penny he is getting paid? The best player in the league is easily worth ~15% of the cap. Players that cripple the cap are ones that cashed in and haven't performed that well since like Clay and Cobb. The Packers also have a lot of cap space being freed up next year.

At least Rodgers has been able to actually make the playoffs and win, unlike a certain QB that the Vikes just gave a fully guaranteed contract to.

Yes, Minnesota signed Cousins to that contract. Minnesota also has a team that is 3 times better than any team Kirk Cousins has ever been on. You're right, though. Kirk either performs or he doesn't. That being said, I do expect a step back for Minnesota despite the Kirk signing. Murderer's Row schedule and I don't expect the defense to avoid any season ending injuries again.

And no player is worth so much of the cap. Quarterbacks are valuable but caring so much about being the highest paid QB in the league is an indictment of Rodgers's character, imo.

I think a hard schedule can be the best preparation for a playoff run. The obvious draw back being that you may miss out on HFA but if the Vikings come out of that 11-5 or 12-4 you know they're one of the best teams in football. They still probably don't want to have to play in Philadelphia for the chance to play in the Super Bowl. They better hope the Rams end up with a higher seed than Philly.

God, you got a point about injuries, Bware. We really dodged a ton of bullets that most teams don't in that regard. I expect us to win like 10-11 games.

Yes, Minnesota signed Cousins to that contract. Minnesota also has a team that is 3 times better than any team Kirk Cousins has ever been on. You're right, though. Kirk either performs or he doesn't. That being said, I do expect a step back for Minnesota despite the Kirk signing. Murderer's Row schedule and I don't expect the defense to avoid any season ending injuries again.

And no player is worth so much of the cap. Quarterbacks are valuable but caring so much about being the highest paid QB in the league is an indictment of Rodgers's character, imo.

Every player wants to get paid, get as much money while they can. It's why there are an abundant amount of players holding out every offseason. Really the only players taking significant paycuts are Brady and ring-chasing vets that are reaching the end of their career.

We have no idea what exactly Rodgers wants at this point still. He may just want the ability to renegotiate his deal in a few years. So once other QBs start making more than him, he can renegotiate and make more. He is one of the top 2 QBs, yet he sees 8+ guys making more than him. How is that fair?

In your occupation would you be content if someone was making more than you, even though you are a harder worker/better employee? Assuming you both hold the same position.

Uh. Yes? If I were getting paid 20 million a year, I don't even know how I could spend that. I would absolutely take less so I get a championship team built around me.

We're not talking like a $10/hr versus a $12/hr thing. That analogy has never held up for me. The logic is like: "The best players make the most money," but then we routinely make fun of teams that give not so great players a ton of money. People aren't going to judge Aaron Rodgers because GB doesn't give him 30 mil a year.

Tell me you wouldn't be thrilled if Arod came out tomorrow and was like, "I want this team to be full of talent, so I took a contract that gave me 15 million a year."

Edited by Thanatos

Would I be thrilled? Sure, who in their right mind wouldn't be thrilled. But at the same time I can't blame him or any other player trying to get their money while they can. As long as they live up to their pay, then they are worth it. And no one can deny that Rodgers is worth every penny he is getting paid and will get paid. As I mentioned in a previous comment, I have a problem when guys get paid and don't live up to it like Cobb and Clay for the Pack.

When you consider how much these owners are making or how Goodell makes over $40 mill/year, one of the top players should make $30 million. Who's pocket do you want your money to go into? Old sack piece of shit like Jerry Jones or the player that is providing the entertainment?

Obviously the sports are different but it must suck seeing NBA players get these $200+ mill deals and make $40+ mill/yr, while the most for NFL will be ~$32 mill/yr.

You can say you would take less all you want, but you have no idea what you would actually do in that situation.

If I was in Rodgers' shoes, I know I would look to get paid. I would prefer just a 3-4yr contract that makes me the highest paid player and then re-evaluate after the new CBA.

Rodgers has earned every penny no question and you pretty much have to pay him. He gives you a chance to win year in and year out. But I just think there will always be better teams that he can't overcome. The Saints look to have rebounded a bit with Brees being highly paid so it is possible. But if you factor in injury risk and all that...that kind of contract is just ugly if you ask me.

Brady taking less money has definitely helped the Patriots stay on top which gets overlooked by many.