#21 OSUViking

OSUViking

The Future Is Now.

• Members
  • 3,589 posts
  • NCAA Team(s): Minnesota, Ohio State
  • NFL Team: Vikings

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:32 AM

God, you got a point about injuries, Bware. We really dodged a ton of bullets that most teams don't in that regard. I expect us to win like 10-11 games. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
^Props to BK^

#22 Packers Dynasty 2010

Packers Dynasty 2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,367 posts
  • NCAA Team(s): Wisconsin Badgers
  • NFL Team: Packers

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:34 AM

Yes, Minnesota signed Cousins to that contract. Minnesota also has a team that is 3 times better than any team Kirk Cousins has ever been on. You're right, though. Kirk either performs or he doesn't. That being said, I do expect a step back for Minnesota despite the Kirk signing. Murderer's Row schedule and I don't expect the defense to avoid any season ending injuries again. 

And no player is worth so much of the cap. Quarterbacks are valuable but caring so much about being the highest paid QB in the league is an indictment of Rodgers's character, imo. 

Every player wants to get paid, get as much money while they can. It's why there are an abundant amount of players holding out every offseason. Really the only players taking significant paycuts are Brady and ring-chasing vets that are reaching the end of their career.

We have no idea what exactly Rodgers wants at this point still. He may just want the ability to renegotiate his deal in a few years. So once other QBs start making more than him, he can renegotiate and make more. He is one of the top 2 QBs, yet he sees 8+ guys making more than him. How is that fair?

In your occupation would you be content if someone was making more than you, even though you are a harder worker/better employee? Assuming you both hold the same position.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010, 11 June 2018 - 09:36 AM.

giphy.gif

#23 Thanatos

Thanatos

Byrd is the word

• Members
  • 10,408 posts
  • NCAA Team(s): Auburn, Clemson, Louisville
  • NFL Team: Panthers

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:45 AM

Uh. Yes? If I were getting paid 20 million a year, I don't even know how I could spend that. I would absolutely take less so I get a championship team built around me.

We're not talking like a $10/hr versus a $12/hr thing. That analogy has never held up for me. The logic is like: "The best players make the most money," but then we routinely make fun of teams that give not so great players a ton of money. People aren't going to judge Aaron Rodgers because GB doesn't give him 30 mil a year.

Tell me you wouldn't be thrilled if Arod came out tomorrow and was like, "I want this team to be full of talent, so I took a contract that gave me 15 million a year."

Edited by Thanatos, 11 June 2018 - 10:46 AM.

Warning, Opinions may be included.

Posted Image

#24 Packers Dynasty 2010

Packers Dynasty 2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:44 PM

Would I be thrilled? Sure, who in their right mind wouldn't be thrilled. But at the same time I can't blame him or any other player trying to get their money while they can. As long as they live up to their pay, then they are worth it. And no one can deny that Rodgers is worth every penny he is getting paid and will get paid. As I mentioned in a previous comment, I have a problem when guys get paid and don't live up to it like Cobb and Clay for the Pack.

When you consider how much these owners are making or how Goodell makes over $40 mill/year, one of the top players should make $30 million. Who's pocket do you want your money to go into? Old sack piece of shit like Jerry Jones or the player that is providing the entertainment?

Obviously the sports are different but it must suck seeing NBA players get these $200+ mill deals and make $40+ mill/yr, while the most for NFL will be ~$32 mill/yr.

You can say you would take less all you want, but you have no idea what you would actually do in that situation.

If I was in Rodgers' shoes, I know I would look to get paid. I would prefer just a 3-4yr contract that makes me the highest paid player and then re-evaluate after the new CBA.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010, 11 June 2018 - 04:54 PM.

giphy.gif

#25 BJORN

BJORN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,395 posts
  • NCAA Team(s): Maryland
  • NFL Team: Bandwagoner

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:31 PM

Rodgers has earned every penny no question and you pretty much have to pay him. He gives you a chance to win year in and year out. But I just think there will always be better teams that he can't overcome. The Saints look to have rebounded a bit with Brees being highly paid so it is possible. But if you factor in injury risk and all that...that kind of contract is just ugly if you ask me.

Brady taking less money has definitely helped the Patriots stay on top which gets overlooked by many.

#26 Packers Dynasty 2010

Packers Dynasty 2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:13 PM

Rodgers has earned every penny no question and you pretty much have to pay him. He gives you a chance to win year in and year out. But I just think there will always be better teams that he can't overcome. The Saints look to have rebounded a bit with Brees being highly paid so it is possible. But if you factor in injury risk and all that...that kind of contract is just ugly if you ask me.

Brady taking less money has definitely helped the Patriots stay on top which gets overlooked by many.

The Saints had a lot of young guys contribute and help them bounce back. The Packers had a few rough drafts and that has hurt them, especially when injuries occur which have been quite frequent. Now the last couple drafts have looked promising and that may help the Packers bounce back. If King, Alexander, or Jackson become a quality corner, they should be on the right track.

Brady taking a huge paycut helps but you rarely see players take paycuts like that, having a wife that makes a shitload of money helps too. Then there's the Pats success of taking people's scraps and turning them into valid starters/stars. Lowballing players and then having them outplay their contract helps a team quite a bit.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010, 11 June 2018 - 07:15 PM.

giphy.gif

#27 BwareDWare94

BwareDWare94

Rediscover/all the color/in the grey

• Global Moderators
  • 13,244 posts
  • NCAA Team(s): North Dakota State Bison
  • NFL Team: Vikings

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:58 PM

Brees is 40 with an arm that has been severely injured years ago that will eventually rear its ugly head. He's closer to deterioration than people realize

bands-forigen-ireland-dublin-the-script-

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users