Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Necessary Podcasts: Shapiro/Rowe

Only about 25 minutes in but it's been fascinating so far. I love hearing Mike Rowe talk about all the great trade jobs that are out there that nobody seems to want. And I also enjoy Shapiro's Sunday Specials. They're generally not so political, which is a nice break from what you normally hear from him.

What do the rest of you think?

There are plenty of people that want trade jobs lol. I know a lot of people my age and all kinds of ages that are in all kinds of trades. The notion that people don't want good jobs is fucking absurd. Hell I know girls that would take trade jobs that pay well. Mike Rowe is a cunt and Shapiro is a bigger cunt... figuratively anyway because he's a shrimpy little bastard ha.

Edited by seanbrock

Not sure how Mike Rowe is a cunt, man. Ben I can see for some people. Rowe? He hasn't done anything to earn that term.

Because he's looking down his nose at people while pretending he's mister humble. It's beyond retarded and fucking ignorant to suggest that there aren't millions of Americans that would kill for a good paying trade job and that there aren't already millions that work them now. I don't need to be patronized by a fucking television personality. I know a lot of people that bust their ass every day and shit like this is un-American if you ask me.

Are there people that don't want to work? Of course. There always has been and there always will be but people want to achieve to succeed and to be respected. I think people that bitch about this hate their country more than people like me that bitch about the government all the time. America is great because of Americans. We've done some amazing shit and for all the turbulence surrounding racial issues this country is the most diverse country in the world. Our culture, our art and our spirit as well as our work ethic and vision are admired all over the world just as much as the arrogance, corruption, hypocracy and violence of our government is hated

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1

I havent watched the video so maybe there is something in there but if there isnt.... I strongly suspect you are implying a lot of things about Rowe and his opinion and not what he actually thinks or says.

He's never said people are lazy and don't want trade jobs. The establishment has long shoved college down our throats. College is the only acceptable benchmark for a successful adult. That's just the way society is. It's go to college, get a diploma after 4 years -- or be a homeless bum and eternal loser.

There isnt a ton of focus on those trade jobs. And that is what Rowe is trying to do. Get people to pay attention. Get people to understand and realize that you can be successful without a diploma, without 4 or more years of college.

Part of the reason those trade jobs can pay so well is because there is high demand and not enough people to fill them. That is just fact.

You preaching about how much of a douche Rowe is sounds like you are defending the broken societal norms and big brother which is weird coming from you. Lol

EDIT: And to clarify. I am not saying there is anything wrong with going to college, getting a degree, etc. But it isn't for everyone and isn't required to be happy or successful. Young people shouldn't be pressured to go down that route or be made to feel inferior because they want to do something else.

Edited by DalaiLama4Ever
  • Upvote 1

I think more people who go into fields like the Humanities should pursue other opportunities. I don't want to sound high and mighty because of an engineering degree, but I don't think college is appropriate for someone to explore an interest or hobby. I think colleges sell that narrative so they get more money. I wonder if college would cost as much if the faculty and resources were trimmed a good amount, and so college was more so a way for aspiring professionals to learn skills to specialize.

• Upvote 1

The Humanities aren't even legitimate fields of study. Just ways for colleges to suck money out of gullible idiots.

What exactly is included in humanities? Logic classes, critical thinking courses, philosophy, art? To argue that all of those aren't legitimate is foolish indeed.

There are absolutely too many people taking those courses, but a society with no artists, philosophers, and just generally people who use logic and reason is a society that will go downhill very fast. To claim they are "not even legitimate" is way too far.

Edited by Thanatos

I havent watched the video so maybe there is something in there but if there isnt.... I strongly suspect you are implying a lot of things about Rowe and his opinion and not what he actually thinks or says.

He's never said people are lazy and don't want trade jobs. The establishment has long shoved college down our throats. College is the only acceptable benchmark for a successful adult. That's just the way society is. It's go to college, get a diploma after 4 years -- or be a homeless bum and eternal loser.

There isnt a ton of focus on those trade jobs. And that is what Rowe is trying to do. Get people to pay attention. Get people to understand and realize that you can be successful without a diploma, without 4 or more years of college.

Part of the reason those trade jobs can pay so well is because there is high demand and not enough people to fill them. That is just fact.

You preaching about how much of a douche Rowe is sounds like you are defending the broken societal norms and big brother which is weird coming from you. Lol

EDIT: And to clarify. I am not saying there is anything wrong with going to college, getting a degree, etc. But it isn't for everyone and isn't required to be happy or successful. Young people shouldn't be pressured to go down that route or be made to feel inferior because they want to do something else.

I don't have enough thumbs to give this the appropriate amount of approval. I concur with everything that you said, and I share a very similar opinion on him.

I can't say definitively, because I've never had the pleasure of meeting the man. However, Sean, I think you missed your mark on this one. It was exactly as far said, if you listen to enough of this podcast, or interviews, you would get the feeling, or maybe you wouldn't, that his time on the show Dirty Jobs changed his perspective. There are a lot of jobs, that pay a lot of money, that people just flat out don't want. Now this isn't to say that those people too lazy, or anything else, just merely indicative of the fact that the construction trades did not really suit them, or were they saw their life going. it is indeed a fact however, that almost all trade unions right now hurting for people. Right now the market for all of the trades, and qualified trades persons, are almost at an all-time high. We call the hall for journeyman electricians, there's almost nobody there. Mind you this is a job that pays you over six figures a year with all benefits paid for, pension paid for, and a vacation fund that we pay for, and there still aren't enough people willing to take the job. And again, that could be for any number of reasons, it is not necessarily indicative of anything in particular. It is a fact though, that all of the trades are understaffed at the moment.

I've had the extreme Fortune to experience Both Worlds, the Army paid for me to get a dual degree in physics and electrical engineering, and I also left all of that, so that I could go start out at the very bottom as an apprentice again, and then I decided to start my own business in the trades. I think colleges are excellent common I think they are great idea for people who are wanting to expand the skill set that they already have, or they have an inclination to participate in. I thought I would be outstanding in physics, or as an electrical engineer, and I did very well in both fields, however, those weren't for me. I have always enjoyed working with my hands and it turns out that the construction trade suited me far better, and they've given me a life that I never thought I would have.

at the risk of dating myself, I will say that when computers first started to be introduced to the classroom, at least on a widespread level, every teacher and administrator in that school was telling us that computers are the future, and we should go to school for a degree in any of those fields, because we would have surely never be left and want once we got it. Loewen behold the market is now over saturated with technology degrees that people can't use, and construction trades are hurting, it's weird how that worked out. I think that is all Mike Rowe is really trying to address. I don't think he has anything against College I just think that he recognizes we are being conditioned to think that is the only way that you can attain the American dream in this Society, and that trade schools are so often left behind.

I have not stepped foot in a school that wasn't being built since I left College, however I'm sure if I were to walk down the halls I would hear teachers echoing the sentiment that if you want a six figure salary you need to go to college. Very rarely do I ever hear teachers introduce the trades is a potential six-figure job with benefits that far surpass anything offered in the corporate world outside of the CEO levels. I personally think the guy absolutely Nails in almost every interview, the more qualified tradespeople we can get the better our Outlook is as far as building infrastructure. I'm sure every city in the country has that one street that the road crews been working on for the last 35 years it seems, and a large part of that is the fact that nobody wants to stand out there in the hot ass son, baking all day. However a great Tipping Point might be the fact that those jobs can offer you over $100, 000 a year.

What exactly is included in humanities? Logic classes, critical thinking courses, philosophy, art? To argue that all of those aren't legitimate is foolish indeed.

There are absolutely too many people taking those courses, but a society with no artists, philosophers, and just generally people who use logic and reason is a society that will go downhill very fast. To claim they are "not even legitimate" is way too far.

I think of those things as liberal arts majors. Granted, perhaps I'm thinking Humanities are something other than what they are. I thought the Humanities included all the useless Gender Theory and Feminist courses that don't teach anything verified as factual and instead indoctrinate students into the preferred line of thinking

Edited by BwareDWare94

Idk its been awhile since I've been in college, we had a required course for everyone that was "humanities" which had 101-302 variants, so six courses in total and they were the best courses I took there.

If you're talking about gender studies and so forth, I'm right with ya there.

I think psychology and sociology can be useful. Gender theory, I absolutely do not think that should be taught in colleges. Maybe even toss out sociology, but I think studying groups of humans and their behavior is useful. The reason I say "maybe toss it out" is because just last Spring I took a sociology class on TECHNOLOGY and the professor still made it about victims vs oppressors whenever he could. Left a sour taste in my mouth tbh.

Maybe psychology isn't considered humanities, I've always thought it was. Absolutely a useful field to study, but I agree with Than that there are way too many people in that field... And many don't even go on to contribute as psychologists or therapists of whatever kind.

Edit:

I don't know if history, languages, etc are considered humanities but they have their relavance.

Edited by OSUViking

Honestly, I wish I'd have taken more psychology courses.

I didn't listen to one second of it nor do I plan to honestly. I just get sick of how some act as though people with no money and no power are the problem. The whole "if everyone wasn't so damn lazy we wouldn't even have a national debt" I hate that line of thinking and I think it's completely un-American.

Yeah.... thats not Mike Rowe at all.

Yeah that sounds nothing like him. I mean if you don't want to listen, by all means, you got to go with what moves you. That being said, I'm fairly confident you have him mischaracterized.

Edited by Omerta

Dude you should definitely listen to Mike Rowe's stances on these issues. You have him mischaracterized, as Ngata said. You're going to find out you have more in common than you so differences

If the conservative bloc doesn't sway you, sean, let me add that you have Rowe completely misread. I agree with you about Shapiro, I think he's a bloviating fool, especially some of the recent stuff he's done, such as his anti-net neutrality argument.

Rowe is not that at all. He's a fantastic guy.

Shapiro started off pretty good, I feel. I mean I get it if you disagree with a lot of his stances but at least he usually had solid logic and such. Now he is a total blowhard, seems like he sold out.

Shapiro started off pretty good, I feel. I mean I get it if you disagree with a lot of his stances but at least he usually had solid logic and such. Now he is a total blowhard, seems like he sold out.

Sell out is being nice about it. Lol. He does these types of videos every Sunday and he stops the convo every like 5 minutes for sponsors. That's on top of Youtube stopping the video every 3 minutes for an ad. It's crazy. ha

Ralph Nader is an American Hero. I listen to his podcasts religiously. I found this one to be very interesting.