Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

Preseason Thoughts (and prayers)

So Preseason has officially started, and some genuine (ha) games have been played. What are your thoughts on how your team is doing so far? Or how other teams are doing? And of course how many of you are just hoping your team's stars simply survive August?

I feel bad for Derrius Guice, dude was gonna be a baller for the Redskins, and now he's dead.

For the Packers:

Burks is going to be great and could easily surpass what Ryan provided for the Packers. Pettine called a pretty simplistic defense last night and a lot of starters were out but overall I was fairly happy with what I saw. I was impressed by Josh Jackson and thought he did a great job sticking to his guys. Still worried about OLB depth as neither Fackrell nor Biegel stood out last night, while Gilbert got good pressure but was always a step or 2 late. Since both Clay and Perry are made of glass, we really need one of the young OLBs to step up.

I'm all aboard the MVS hype train too

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

All aboard the DJ Moore hype train!

• Upvote 1

Tim Boyle makes Aaron Rodgers nothing more than a luxury. Aaron wants to whine about his contract, ship his ass out of town because we got the GOAT. Seriously though, Boyle did look pretty good. His arm talent is pretty remarkable.

Also, I am worried about the RT position. Byron Bell is a turnstyle and if he sees any real action this season we are beyond fucked along the line.

• Upvote 2

It's preseason and literally none of it(good or bad) matters. That's the only thought you need.

Edited by .AirMcNair.
  • Upvote 2

Really liked hearing that Teddy did well. If they don't want to start Darnold I think he'd be a better option than McCown

Dallas Goeddert will score at least 8 TD's this year. Eagles are ridiculously stacked with weapons. You can't game plan against this offense. They can attack you in too many ways.

It's preseason and literally none of it(good or bad) matters. That's the only thought you need.

Depending on how you define what matters, I'd disagree pretty heavily here. Does it matter in the sense of... "Packers went 4 - 0, so they are going to clean house in the regular season?" -- of course not. But does it matter in the sense of hashing out position battles, fringe roster guys, practice squad targets, etc? You better believe.

And I know that isn't everyone's cup of tea, so I am not going to waste my time or anyone else's trying to convince you that that is interesting -- but I love it.

I really like to see a guy like Quinten Rollins who, rumor has it, could be cut totally get shit on against the Titans. I like seeing a journeyman like Kumerow shine or a rookie like Marquez Valdes-Scantling explode in his first game for the Pack.

• Upvote 1

Marquez Valdes-Scantling representing USF. :notbad:

Depending on how you define what matters, I'd disagree pretty heavily here. Does it matter in the sense of... "Packers went 4 - 0, so they are going to clean house in the regular season?" -- of course not. But does it matter in the sense of hashing out position battles, fringe roster guys, practice squad targets, etc? You better believe.

And I know that isn't everyone's cup of tea, so I am not going to waste my time or anyone else's trying to convince you that that is interesting -- but I love it.

I really like to see a guy like Quinten Rollins who, rumor has it, could be cut totally get shit on against the Titans. I like seeing a journeyman like Kumerow shine or a rookie like Marquez Valdes-Scantling explode in his first game for the Pack.

Well therein lies the issue as well. The only people preseason matters to is guys who never really see the field if they do make the roster, are often guys that are inactive on Sundays, etc. The % of fringe roster guys that ever actually make anything of themselves in the NFL is so minuscule that it's hard to give a shit. And the thing with taking anything from these fringe roster guys is that they're going up against other fringe roster players or players who won't even make it in the NFL past this preseason, so their accomplishments are even harder to care about.

I think a big issue with the preseason(and this isn't the NFL or preseason itself's fault, but just a fault with the NFL community) is we see all this stuff on twitter from analysts breaking down players and actually talking like it's anything meaningful, which leads the casual fan to believe at as well. I mean just looking at the Titans/Packers game, the Packers sat like 18 key players or some shit. The Titans had a few starters sitting and the ones that didn't like Mariota, Lewan, Casey, Morgan, Butler, Ryan, Byard, etc all played less than 10 snaps, so the players who did shine for the Titans and Packers, it's almost meaningless cause they did it against people that aren't even gonna make impacts on Sundays.

I know the Titans broadcast team was kinda going overboard on hyping up both Harold Landry and LeShaun Sims for the Titans. Landry was a 2nd round pick, and a 1st round talent in most people's eyes that fell due to injury concerns, and they got all hype because he bullied some backup tackle that doesn't belong on the field. LeShaun Sims is the 4th CB on this team but he's probably good enough to be the 2nd or 3rd CB on a lot of teams, just stuck behind our loaded CB depth chart, and he was making quite a few plays, think he had like 3 pass break ups among other things..but that's just it, you'd fuckin hope he'd dominate against 2nd and 3rd team QBs and WRs.

Taking anything from snaps where it's 3rd stringers vs 3rd stringers is such a weird idea to me, because I think beyond noting if they ran the play correctly/etc, there's only so much you can take from it cause they're playing against people that aren't gonna be in the NFL in a month.

Baker looked fucking smooth. Stepped around the pocket with ease and looked the same way he did at Oklahoma. Incredibly natural thrower off platform with elite ability to alter throwing lanes. He's gonna be a fucking magician.

Will Hernandez looked pretty solid in run game from what I saw, but I would've liked to see him be a bit quicker in pass pro. Lateral quickness was a major question coming out and he was late to pick up blitzers and stunts at times.

Fucking pumped for Rosen one.

Also, RIP Guice. He looked FAST compared to his 2017 tape. Peak Guice is a better RB than Barkley, but there's a good question of whether or not we'll ever see him at full health again.

Edited by Chernobyl426

But how much weight do preseason games have when on that compared to practice time?

Who the hell is Roc Thomas? I see the penchant for screen plays has come over from Philly. I'm not a fan, but we'll see if they have any impact come the regular season.

People that said Baker Mayfield was gunna bust hard need to think again. Dude has "it"

Saquon Barkley is finishing in the top 4 in all purpose yards. Draft his ass.

Chad Kelly moving up to second on the depth chart ahead of Paxton Lynch. Woo Baby.

Yeah Cherry's boy is done.

Lamar Jackson is going to bust, just like we all thought he would. That is kind of my thoughts so far. When people say project, they usually mean a specific skill set to work with, and then you develop the rest of their game. The only part of Lamar's game that he really has is his legs. Outside of his ability to escape the pocket, his arm strength is average, his deep ball is one of the ugliest in the Pro game, he has no intermediate throw either, he has a decent short game, but outside of that there's really not a lot there. Normally I would like to be a bit more hopeful, but Baltimore has never shown the ability to develop a quarterback. If you look at Joe Flacco, he is the exact same guy that he was out of Delaware. I am convinced that that guy could have been an absolute monster had he gone to Green Bay, New England, New Orleans, hell even mediocre teams that can half-ass develop a quarterback, could have turned Joe Flacco into an All-Pro. Baltimore on the other hand can't.

Not to try to rehash this Joe Flacco debate, he is not nearly as bad as a lot of people think, and he's not nearly as good as a lot of Baltimore beat writers like to think he is. He is exactly what he is, he's at all, above-average athlete, who has an absolute Cannon for an arm, but can't dissect a cover-2 defense in his 13th year in the NFL. Lamar Jackson is going to be similarly handicapped with the offense that he ran, and we are all quickly finding out that he's not going to be busting those 70 80 yard runs on a regular basis like he was at Louisville. These NFL players are fast too. This does not bode well for the young man. Now, I would love to be wrong obviously, but I'm just not seeing anything there, he is definitely not what he was advertised.

Jackson is a work in progress but I like the kid's character. What the Ravens need is a QB guy. They should give Harbaugh the boot and go after a guy like DiFillipo to replace him. I think as it stands now you're probably right but you have to surround any young QB with talent and good coaching. Look at what's happened to Luck.

Better question is... who cares about preseason?

Not a lot of people but generally people that post on football forums.

Not a lot of people but generally people that post on football forums.

Preseason says nothing about your team other than what you have on the bench and new NFL rules and officiating crews blow more than the year before.