Aussie Falcons Fan

What are you reading???

Pygmy. By Chuck Palahniuk

Just started the fifth book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

I still think you Game of Thrones people should give this series a shot. It's a little higher fantasy than ASOIAF, but it's pretty awesome.

I got bored and I stopped when my favourite character died in the third book.

:(

Thought you were more of a...

Kalam or Ben kind of guy

Zoo. By James Patterson

Those guys are pretty awesome, but it's clear that *dead character* was the man.

A Ball of Beasts by GRRM. Yes, that's the fan name for the 4th and 5th books mashed together.

Over vacation I read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson. Both were excellent, though obviously in their own ways. I'm looking forward to the film adaptation of TFIOS.

Just got A Song of Ice and Fire series and Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes. What should I expect?

Hollow City. YA literature to pass the time. It's pretty meh but it could be worse.

• Upvote 1

Gone. By James Patterson.

Those guys are pretty awesome, but it's clear that *dead character* was the man.

A Ball of Beasts by GRRM. Yes, that's the fan name for the 4th and 5th books mashed together.

Near the end of a ADWD reread and holy shit

Right before Jon gets fucking stabbed, Wun Wun brutally kills Ser Patrek, whose coat of arms is a star. On his surcoat is a bleeding star....Rhaegar's comet. Bowen Marsh is crying as he stabs Jon. Salt. Now where the hell is the smoke.

Also Mance totally wrote that letter.

Most of the way through Dexter's Final Cut. Not too bad. Needs more carnage. A lot of the foreshadowing and near-dramatic irony seems a bit...tired and obvious, but it's still been entertaining for the most part. I'm just really hoping that the last ~90/352 pages don't turn down the same road a couple of the other books in the series did.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Hollow City. YA literature to pass the time. It's pretty meh but it could be worse.

It wasn't as good as the first book, and I don't like some of the twists, but oh well. I hope the 3rd book comes out, soon.

Just got A Song of Ice and Fire series and Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes. What should I expect?

Death.
  • Upvote 1

Most of the way through Dexter's Final Cut. Not too bad. Needs more carnage. A lot of the foreshadowing and near-dramatic irony seems a bit...tired and obvious, but it's still been entertaining for the most part. I'm just really hoping that the last ~90/352 pages don't turn down the same road a couple of the other books in the series did.

Turned out almost exactly as I expected.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

It wasn't as good as the first book, and I don't like some of the twists, but oh well. I hope the 3rd book comes out, soon.

Definitely liked the first more, was ok though.

Near the end of a ADWD reread and holy shit

Right before Jon gets fucking stabbed, Wun Wun brutally kills Ser Patrek, whose coat of arms is a star. On his surcoat is a bleeding star....Rhaegar's comet. Bowen Marsh is crying as he stabs Jon. Salt. Now where the hell is the smoke.

Also Mance totally wrote that letter.

Oh my God I just had another revelation:

The Wall was built by a Brandon Stark about 8000 years ago, built both using ice and from the Stark line generally associated with ice. The Iron Throne was forged using fire by Aegon Targaryen and his line generally associated with fire. The Song of Ice and Fire likely refers to the dissolution of BOTH the Wall and the Iron Throne.

There are so many things the eponymous ASOIAF could be that I wouldn't put too much stock into that line of thinking.

Death.

So far, accurate.

The Leftovers.

Actually picked the book up monts ago, before it was a TV show.

Have recently read:

Up Jumps the Devil by Michael Poore. This was a fantastic novel. I'd suggest it for anyone who likes a lot comedy and historical events tying in to their fiction.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It was a little choppy early on with some of the usual misogyny found in the fantasy genre, but it cleaned up fast and involved a lot of really cool twists and turns. I was really hoping to find out it was a book in a series, as the Shadow character was remarkable.

Finally finished My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk. Took me well over a year to read, read many books around it. Very very dense, very very strange. Full of beautiful language, but be prepared for a long haul instead of the route I took expecting to knock it out quickly, as I'm a huge fan of his work. Yikes.

Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien. Sheer brilliance--the usual from O'Brien.

Gone Girl and Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. Both were fantastic, but I really really struggle with Flynn's absurd twists and extremely ridiculous scenarios.

Now re-reading the Harry Potter series, as well as House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III. Very interesting so far, but I'm not even 50 pages into it.

• Upvote 1

I have caught up to all the Wheel of Time books I own. Now to buy books 9, 10, 11 13 and 14... Also I got 12 as a present for some reason, but none of the others. >_<.>

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It was a little choppy early on with some of the usual misogyny found in the fantasy genre, but it cleaned up fast and involved a lot of really cool twists and turns. I was really hoping to find out it was a book in a series, as the Shadow character was remarkable.

Gaiman is phenomenal. I recently purchased American Gods as well. I should start reading it, I suppose. TGP%20Yep%20Gif.gif

If you're open to a series of graphic novels, Gaiman's greatest work is The Sandman series. It's supremely profound and dark. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_(Vertigo)

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Gaiman is phenomenal. I recently purchased American Gods as well. I should start reading it, I suppose. TGP%20Yep%20Gif.gif

If you're open to a series of graphic novels, Gaiman's greatest work is The Sandman series. It's supremely profound and dark. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_(Vertigo)

I've never really tried graphic novels, but I might have to give that one a shot.

American Gods is kinda slow-building in the first 50 or so pages, and has quite a few fantasy stereotypes. Based on everything after that, I think it was intentional, and that he planned to mislead readers a bit so they'd have no clue what was coming, later.

• Upvote 1

I've never really tried graphic novels, but I might have to give that one a shot.

American Gods is kinda slow-building in the first 50 or so pages, and has quite a few fantasy stereotypes. Based on everything after that, I think it was intentional, and that he planned to mislead readers a bit so they'd have no clue what was coming, later.

Sounds like Gaiman, for sure. I am going to start it tonight.

You most definitely should read them. I have the entire series and would be willing to mail you them on loan, if you'd like. I think you'd really appreciate the series.