Aussie Falcons Fan

What are you reading???

The Flash. Going through the whole series of books.

Worm. It's a web serial and each arc has you thinking "how the hell is our protag gonna get out of this?" The world is carefully crafted, the superpowers are explained in great detail, and it's just a blast to charge through.

http://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/

Just finished the fifth of the Malazan Book of the Fallen and just started the sixth. It's really nice having more time to read stuff I actually want to read now that I'm not in class....

I need one of you ASOIAF people to power through these and tell me how the two compare. I'm curious.

Book rankings thus far:

3 (the feels, man) > 5 > 2 > 4 > 1. That's not to say that books at the bottom are bad, just that the others are better, IMO.

Edited by Vin

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, the second book of the Kingkiller Chronicles. I have no idea when the third book will come out, but there's a real consistency in his writing that draws you in. Kvothe is one of the more compelling characters in fiction that I've read recently, and if it weren't for the world constantly shitting on him, he'd almost be a mary sue with all the things he can do.

And as for my opinion on the Malazan series, it's a fucking maze to navigate. The first book is all over the place, the second and third book at least seem to go in order, but there is so many machinations in the series, and everyone turns into ascended gods, it's all very confusing. It's a blast when you get lost in it, but there is just so much going on. If you read it by published order you're jumping back and forth in the timeline. The chronological order ends up something like:

Just finished Gray Mountain, it's a typical Grisham, entertaining but a bit preachy

Bout to start "Never Go Back," a Jack Reacher novel

Just finished the fifth of the Malazan Book of the Fallen and just started the sixth. It's really nice having more time to read stuff I actually want to read now that I'm not in class....

I need one of you ASOIAF people to power through these and tell me how the two compare. I'm curious.

Book rankings thus far:

3 (the feels, man) > 5 > 2 > 4 > 1. That's not to say that books at the bottom are bad, just that the others are better, IMO.

Just finished book 6. I haven't finished a book that fast in....years.

6 > 3 > 5 > 2 > 4 > 1

Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played and How Games Are Won. Sort of a Moneyball but for all sports. In what I've read so far, they address home-field advantage, going for it on 4th down, pulling your goalie at the end of a game, etc. It's interesting and rather surprising to see these sports cliches broken down into statistics. Everyone at TGP would love it.

I'm about halfway through The Martian, probably wouldn't have heard of it but for the fact that they're making a movie out of it, but it's really good, Andy Weir does a great job of explaining technical stuff in basic terms. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys Michael Crichton novels as it's a very similar style.

The Time Traveler's Wife

Weird book. Pretty good, though.

Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson

This one's pretty dark. :badass: I thought book 2 was pretty dark, but this one takes the cake I think, and I'm just under a quarter of the way through.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman quick read. Kinda awesome.

• Upvote 1

Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson

This one's pretty dark. :badass: I thought book 2 was pretty dark, but this one takes the cake I think, and I'm just under a quarter of the way through.

And it stays pretty dark throughout. While there are some good feels in this, it's mostly bad feels, man. Didn't like some of the actions/resolutions, either, but such is the life of the reader.

6 > 3 > 5 > 2 > 7 > 4 > 1

On to book 8 at some point in the near future.

"The Smoke at Dawn" by Jeff Shaara, it's part 3 of what I think is a 4 part series covering the Western theater of the American Civil War, pretty good so far, about what I've come to expect from him

And it stays pretty dark throughout. While there are some good feels in this, it's mostly bad feels, man. Didn't like some of the actions/resolutions, either, but such is the life of the reader.

6 > 3 > 5 > 2 > 7 > 4 > 1

On to book 8 at some point in the near future.

Finished book 8. More feels in this one. Not bad feels, but sad feels. Some answers and identities are finally given, so that's good.

You need to pick these back up, Razor. :yep:

6 > 3 > 8 > 5 > 2 > 7 > 4 > 1

So much time has passed between now and some of the earlier books that I have no idea if it's even an accurate ranking anymore. All I've got left is how they made me feel.

Re-reading the Harry Potter series.

Let the Right One In

Any good? Saw the movie, I think it was Danish? Was pretty awesome.

I'm only 100 pages in. Very little time to read right now.

It is very good so far

I'm reading a non-fiction right now called Tulia about the trials following corrupt drug raids in 1999 in Texas, pretty interesting read

The Martian is a really good book. Haven't seen the movie yet.

Just finished The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things. Horrifying novel.

Now reading Down River by John Hart.

Edited by BwareDWare94