Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Ravens @ Bengals

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20180913004&home=4&vis=33

The Baltimore Ravens were denied entry into the playoffs last season following a demoralizing Week 17 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals on New Year's Eve.

The Ravens (1-0) aim to exact a bit of revenge and move into sole possession of first place in the AFC North on Thursday night (8:20 p.m. ET) when they travel to Paul Brown Stadium to face the Bengals (1-0).

Last season, Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton capped a three-touchdown performance by tossing a 49-yard scoring strike to Tyler Boyd with 44 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter to secure a 31-27 victory over Baltimore. The win allowed the Buffalo Bills to make the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

The 30-year-old Dalton kept his magic going on Sunday, as he completed 21 of 28 passes for 243 yards with two touchdowns and one interception in a 34-23 season-opening victory versus the Indianapolis Colts.

Trusted target A.J. Green had six receptions for 92 yards and a score while second-year running back Joe Mixon also found the end zone while recording 149 yards from scrimmage (95 rushing, 54 receiving). Mixon also fared well with 96 rushing yards in the 2017 season-closing contest against the Ravens.

"I think (Mixon) can carry it 22 times," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said of the expected workload for Mixon, who last season came on after the injury to fellow running back Jeremy Hill and led the team with 626 yards to go along with four touchdowns.

"The number of receptions (Mixon) had was good, and they were well-used," Lewis added. "He got to the right spots in the pass game, and that's important."

Mixon has benefited from the upgraded offensive line for the Bengals, who added first-round pick Billy Price out of Ohio State and tackle Cordy Glenn in the offseason.

"I'm very excited. Marvin came in here (at half) and told us to settle down. Can't beat ourselves," the 6-foot-1, 220-pound Mixon said of the win over the Colts. "We re-grouped and went one drive at a time. The line was great. They were grinding it and pounding it."

While Cincinnati had to rally past Indianapolis, Baltimore had a far easier time of it on Sunday. The Ravens took out a bit of frustration on the Bills with a convincing 47-3 romp.

Joe Flacco completed 25 of 34 passes for 236 yards with three touchdown passes in the rout.

"Anytime you can go out there and have a performance like we did (against Buffalo), it's great," Flacco said. "But we have to make sure we carry it over to next week. It's going to be a quick week. I think we're ready for it. We always are, but we just have to make sure we build on this."

Flacco, who tossed four TD passes in two games against the Bengals in 2017, has thrown for 3,861 career passing yards versus Cincinnati.

Baltimore wide receivers Michael Crabtree, John Brown and Willie Snead celebrated their debuts with their new team on Sunday by each reeling in a scoring strike.

Alex Collins, Javorius "Buck" Allen and Kenneth Dixon each had a rushing touchdown; however, Dixon's availability for Thursday's contest is unclear as he nurses a knee injury. Collins likely will remain the workhorse versus the Bengals, against whom he had 96 yards from scrimmage (78 rushing, 18 receiving) and a touchdown in his lone career meeting.

On the other side of the ball, Baltimore's aggressive defense held Buffalo to a paltry 153 total yards of offense while also recording six sacks and a pair of interceptions

"I think (new defensive coordinator Don Martindale) called a great game," linebacker Terrell Suggs said. "Whatever they threw at us, we were able to answer. We just executed on defense. It's the first game. We did some good things, but we're going to focus on the things that we didn't do so well and try to correct them for Thursday."

While Sunday's statistics were convincing across the board for Baltimore, coach John Harbaugh saw plenty of areas to address.

"There's a lot of things we can improve on," Harbaugh said. "We had communication issues. We had technique issues in different areas and all three phases. You look at the good stuff and go 'OK, fine.' But then you look at things you need to get better at."

Cincinnati linebacker Preston Brown (ankle) and Carlos Dunlap (calf) were listed as not participating during Tuesday's walkthrough.

Bengals safety Shawn Williams told reporters that he hasn't been informed of any suspension after he was ejected from the season opener after making contact to the head of Colts quarterback Andrew Luck.

Ravens declared TE Hayden Hurst, QB Robert Griffin III, WR Jordan Lasley, CB Maurice Canady, DT Willie Henry, OL Jermaine Eluemunor and DT Zach Sieler inactive for Week 2 against the Bengals.

The No. 25 overall pick of the draft, Hurst remains week to week. The Ravens are using a committee of tight end pass catchers in his absence

Bengals declared MLB Preston Brown, RB Mark Walton, WR Cody Core, WR Auden Tate, OL Christian Westerman, OL Cedric Ogbuehi and DT Josh Tupou inactive for Week 2 against the Ravens.

Brown picked up an ankle injury in the opener. He was healthy enough to test it out in pre-game warmups, which suggests he will be ready to return in Week 3. Hardy Nickerson is starting in Brown's place against the Ravens.

Edited by Vin

There is the Ravens we all know and love. There's absolutely no reason we should have lost this game, but alas John Harbaugh is our coach. 

I get people aren't Joe Flacco fans, but something that I've come to realize over the last few years is that I have to lay most of the blame at the coaches feet. Why is it that even your good players come out flat and look like a barrel full of crap in a division game, against the Rival who is owned you lately. Even the players we have that our consensus good players, we're playing like crap. To me that points to a larger problem that is indicative of a motivation problem, and that is 100% on the couch. It's almost like that team would rather play for anybody else but him.

it's easy to look at Joe Flacco and point out how inconsistent he is, but along with that last Revelation another one I've had, is that even our good players are wildly inconsistent. We just don't notice because the scoreboard is always a correlation to how well the quarterback did. Suggs played terrible, Humphrey played terrible, Stanley played terrible, Yonder played okay which for him is a bad game, Brandon Williams played terrible, all of these players are consensus good players, but they all have four five games a year where they just look like they have no idea what they're doing. Why is the entire team so inconsistent?

I know it is a well-known fact I can't stand John Harbaugh, and I may be viewing this through the lens of a fan who absolutely cannot stand are arrogant head coach as both a coach or a person. That being said, when you apply the least common denominator method to solving a problem, it's John Harbaugh. We have a completely different roster with only 4 players remaining from the Super Bowl team, and they're still wildly inconsistent.

people like to point to the Super Bowl as a litmus for how successful John Harbaugh has been in the league. However, upon further scrutiny when you look at that season, they were extremely inconsistent during that season. Start off 9 and no lose your next five games when you only need one to get in, and then you have a nail-biter game against the struggling Giants team to get to the dance. I'm a firm believer had Ray Lewis not told the team that he was retiring at the end of those playoffs win lose or draw, we lose in the second round 

I was expecting to be upset last night, but I knew this was going to happen. I knew this was going to be par for the course, because it has been that way the last 6 years. We will never get anywhere as long as John Harbaugh is our head coach, we don't have any more Ray Lewis, or icon players to tell us their retiring and motivate the rest of the team. Until the ownership understands that, the Ravens are going to be a middling team.

Also I truly believe that if you were to take Joe Flacco, CJ Mosley, and basically all of our good players and redistribute them around the league they would be twice as good as they are in Baltimore. All of those players are extremely talented players, Talent is not the issue in Baltimore. It never has been. We've always had Talent, maybe not at the receiver Corps, but we've had it meant strength other places, and for some reason we don't understand how to utilize that. Take last night as an example. How is it Alex Collins was not more of the game plan? What is Joe Flacco complete a 60-yard pass comment on the following play you bring Lamar Jackson in the runner double-reverse? All of these things are inexplicable.

John Harbaugh hires people at the coordinator position who will not challenge him. I think he understands that if he's going to get fired nine times out of 10 they're going to have an interim coach, if the cupboards are bare there, then what is the owner going to do? Does he deliberately sabotaging entire season? All of these things point back to one guy. We will change, when our head coaching position changes.

After Week 1: Ravens looked real damn solid. 

After Week 2: Real damn shaky. 

Talk about a tale of two weeks. Pretty crazy 

Joe Flacco is no longer elite.

This really just begs the question: How bad are the Bills?!