Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Maroon 5 to perform halftime show at SB LIII

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/maroon-5-to-perform-at-super-bowl-halftime-1202947983/

Maroon 5 will be the halftime performers at the 2019 Super Bowl, two sources confirm to Variety. Reps for the group and the NFL could not immediately be reached for comment.

While the group is stylistically more similar to recent performers like Justin Timberlake and Bruno Mars than more controversial ones such as Beyonce and Lady Gaga, Maroon 5’s most recent hit was a tag-team with Cardi B — “I Like It,” named one of the top songs of the summer by recent streaming service charts —  and it recently collaboration with Kendrick Lamar on the song “Don’t Wanna Know,” so some left-field guest appearances on Super Bowl Sunday are certainly a possibility.

One of the great challenges in choosing a halftime performer isn’t just its mainstream appeal, but in finding an artist who hasn’t already performed. Over the years, Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, U2, The Who, Katy Perry and even the Black Eyed Peas have all performed, and of course the 2004 set from Janet Jackson (featuring Timberlake) was marred by controversy due to her “wardrobe malfunction.” Prince’s 2007 performance — which saw him playing a galvanizing version of “Purple Rain” in a rainstorm — is widely regarded as the all-time best halftime set.

The NFL has faced an additional challenge this year due to its stance regarding former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s decision to take a knee during the National Anthem as a sign of protest, which has spurred outrage in some quarters, from the president on down. Kaepernick has not played since the 2016 season and his contract has not been picked up by another team, largely due to the controversy. Reports emerged last year that Jay-Z had turned down an offer to perform during halftime, which he seemingly confirmed in the lyrics to his recent song with Beyonce, “Apesh–“: “I said no to the Super Bowl: you need me, I don’t need you.”

I am in misery.

oh no, another half time show I'll not watch, whatever will I do?

Good, the last ten years have been a fucking tragedy. Lady Gaga, fucking no talent hack. Beyonce...please 

The last good one was Tom Petty or MAYBE Springsteen. The halftime show is such a waste of time these days. I use it to pee and better runs.

18 hours ago, Omerta said:

Good, the last ten years have been a fucking tragedy.

I'm not going into the quality of recent halftime shows, but the one that gets you excited after all that is Maroon 5?

(also they're going to be completely overshadowed by Cardi B just like Coldplay was a few years ago)

8 hours ago, blotsfan said:

I'm not going into the quality of recent halftime shows, but the one that gets you excited after all that is Maroon 5?

(also they're going to be completely overshadowed by Cardi B just like Coldplay was a few years ago)

I would not say excited, but it's certainly the best one in recent memory in my opinion. I don't know what a Cardiologist B is.

8 minutes ago, Omerta said:

I would not say excited, but it's certainly the best one in recent memory in my opinion. I don't know what a Cardiologist B is.

Don't be "intentionally messes up name of thing to show disdain for it"-guy. Nobody likes that guy.

10 minutes ago, blotsfan said:

Don't be "intentionally messes up name of thing to show disdain for it"-guy. Nobody likes that guy.

Truly have no idea who it is. Never heard of her

14 minutes ago, Omerta said:

Never heard of her

And yet you knew she was a girl, and presumably also managed to figure out that she's not a cardiologist (not hard since to my knowledge nobody actually calls cardiologists "Cardi")

I used to work for a Top 40 station here in town and got free tickets to a Maroon 5 concert. I don’t mind their music, but the concert was sub par. Adam gave very little effort it seemed like. And they used that concert as experimentation time, changing up beats , sounds, and lyrics to some of their most popular songs. 

Dont get me wrong, I mean I am sure it gets old playing the same songs over and over but that’s what fans want to hear and what they pay for (of they’re paying unlike me lol). 

Hope they keep it closer to the vest with This one. 

Blots why are you getting defensive about roadkill?

1 hour ago, blotsfan said:

And yet you knew she was a girl, and presumably also managed to figure out that she's not a cardiologist (not hard since to my knowledge nobody actually calls cardiologists "Cardi")

To be fair I had a 50 50 shot. Cardi B does sound like a champ ck though doesn't it? The cardiologist part was easy, when would a cardiologist perform at halftime shows, although they would be infinitely more interesting.

The music I listen too is generally about 08 or before. Although after looks ng her up I see she has already preformed with Maroon 5 so she can't be terrible... I think