Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

The NFL's new RTP rule is going to hurt the game of football

I don't think anyone here disagrees with me at all, but Clay Mathews being fined or penalized for either of his two sacks in the last two weeks is absolutely ridiculous. You may have an argument with the week 1 RTP call, but the other two are textbook form tackles.

This is becoming absurd. What on earth is the man supposed to do, this?:

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

Yeah and honestly I thought one of the sacks Aaron took was a textbook penalty. Defender grabbed him, spun him around and slammed him into the turf. Body weight and all.

Not saying that should be a penalty.... but how is one penalized and the other not? No consistency at all. I don’t think even the league or refs know what’s going on

• Upvote 1

The league doesn't know what's going on. There is literally nothing Clay can do besides not hit the quarterback in that instance.

• Upvote 1

William Hayes in Miami tore his ACL trying to avoid putting his body weight on Derek Carr during a sack. So...the rule is working, right? :pls:

• Upvote 2

First step is getting rid of Al Riveron and then addressing this rule without a dumbass as the head of officiating. If they want to keep this idiot around, then the league is going to get worse and worse.

I have always been one that just laughs at people saying the league is dieing but at this point, I am sort of leaning towards that view as well. There is very little consistency in how games are called and too much power is being given to the refs. Not saying the call yesterday determined the game one way or the other but these calls could definitely decide a game. Should be interesting if something like this call comes up in the playoffs and plays a big role. Then there is the whole commercials just being shoved down our throat nonstop.

2020 may be a very crucial year, with more and more fans getting pissed at the NFL and then a potential lockout. The UFL/XFL may be coming in at the right time.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

8 hours ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

Yeah and honestly I thought one of the sacks Aaron took was a textbook penalty. Defender grabbed him, spun him around and slammed him into the turf. Body weight and all.

Not saying that should be a penalty.... but how is one penalized and the other not? No consistency at all. I don’t think even the league or refs know what’s going on

I feel like that hit on Arod is exactly what the rule was trying to address... and then its not flagged, and to my knowledge the NFL hasn't come out and said it was a foul that was missed either.

At some point the NFL has to just sit the players down and say "look, this is an incredibly dangerous sport. There is a very real chance this will give you brain damage or other ailments later in life. However, you will get paid millions for playing it. The choice is yours."

Edited by blotsfan
  • Upvote 1

Just the continued pussification of the NFL spearheaded by Roger Goodell.

Goodell wants more offense. More things to keep the peasant NFL fan pleased and buying tickets and generating money.

The average fan wants to see points scored. Not a TEN/JAGS game with 2 backup QB's in Gabbert and Bortles.

Yes. I'm aware Bortles is a starter but he's a backup on any team with a top 12 QB...

The real fans know that this rule is physically impossible and already clouded from the piss poor emotional zebras that are currently around the league today.

You can't fight gravity, but you can fight Goodell with a bullet in the head.

Well, the week 1 RTP wasn't arguable. He slammed his helmet into the back of Trubisky's helmet. Classic dirty Clay Matthews play. That's a penalty before this new rule. The other two are dumb. I can kind of see the Alex Smith penalty because he pile drives him into the ground, but Alex Smith had the freaking ball. That should nullify it considering it wasn't an illegal hit otherwise.

Obviously the NFL is targeting Clay Matthews. His history of dirty plays and the fact that nobody thinks he didn't use steroids must have something to do with it. Other players haven't been flagged for similar hits this season.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, BwareDWare94 said:

Well, the week 1 RTP wasn't arguable. He slammed his helmet into the back of Trubisky's helmet. Classic dirty Clay Matthews play. That's a penalty before this new rule. The other two are dumb. I can kind of see the Alex Smith penalty because he pile drives him into the ground, but Alex Smith had the freaking ball. That should nullify it considering it wasn't an illegal hit otherwise.

Obviously the NFL is targeting Clay Matthews. His history of dirty plays and the fact that nobody thinks he didn't use steroids must have something to do with it. Other players haven't been flagged for similar hits this season.

Nobody is trying to argue the week 1 call. Even Clay has said it was his mistake and he shouldn't have done that. The other 2 are total bullshit. I can't find the exact stat now but know I've seen a lot of Packers fans spout it recently. In the past 4 or 5 seasons, Clay has had 2 roughing the passer calls against him. He has 3 this season, pretty sad.

About that targeting...Crawford for the Cowboys got a RTP call in a very similar play this past weekend. Or that Vikings' player, Antwione Williams, that got called for it in the preseason and fined.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

"No one is getting the same calls as Clay Mathews." 

NFL has the most RTP penalties by a long shot in 3 weeks.

Classic Bware.

This is not just Clay, everyone is confused and has no idea what to do.

• Upvote 1

Good ol NFL, release a video about roughing the passer and avoid including the 2 most controversial, talked about calls so far this season. Too afraid to admit that either of their ref crews fucked up? Just own up to it and tell everyone not to call shit like that again.

or it's a blip in the data. Let's wait for a trend to continue first before making widespread conclusions about limited sample sizes.