Sign in to follow this  
Cherry

Need Advice w/ Losing a Pet

Hey guys, my dog was recently diagnosed with cancer (lymphoma) and it's the first time I've really lost someone/something close to me. She probably has another 1-3 months left to live because we opted to pass on chemo. I've had her since I was 10, and I know it's going to really fuck me up when she passes away. Do any of you guys have some insight or advice on how to cope with the cancer diagnosis or death? Really grateful for anything to help get through this. 

Obligatory pics of her attached. 

Screenshot_20181022-211229.png

Screenshot_20181022-211142.png

Screenshot_20181022-211208.png

If you've got another pet, that can help lessen the blow a little bit, but it's still gonna suck either way, even if you're prepared for it.  I lost my golden retriever two years ago (had him since I was 14) somewhat unexpectedly (though I am happy he hung around til I got home from work).  It messed me up then (first. time I had cried over something in ages), and it still bothers me today when I end up randomly thinking about it or seeing something on tv that reminds me, so I'm not sure it's something that ever really goes away, or at least not quickly. 

• Upvote 1

Appreciative of the advice from both of you guys. She's still doing good, thankfully. Hasn't been showing any signs of being debilitated by it other than being a little grouchy and sleeping more (presumably because of the medicine). Should be able to make it through this month from my understanding. Really excited to go home and get to spend more time with her, now that school semester is nearing an end. 

Dude I wish I could give you advice like these guys but my dog is old too and his hips are going. If I was in your shoes I'd be bawling like a little beotch because I like probably about 5 people more than that mother fucker and like 4 of them are family members. I feel for ya.

My advice: do things she enjoys with her as much as you can and after the fact just be positive and think of her and all of the love and memories you share.