Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

'18-'19 NBA Season Thread

On 5/1/2019 at 3:56 PM, seanbrock said:

The East is better than it has been for years. GS Is vulnerable. They still have to go through Denver too and they're not dumb enough to try and outshoot the Warriors. They're the deepest team in the league and they just play different than anyone else.

I like how hopeful you are.

Remember when Shaq, Kobe, Karl Malone, Gary Payton and Phil Jackson lost to the Bad Boy Pistons part II? Pistons didn't have as much talent but they were a tough team and they played hard. There was trouble in paradise for the Lakers and I think everyone just expected them to crusie to another championship. Well, that didn't happen did it?

• Upvote 2

If Kawhi leaves and the Raptors blow it up I would love to have Serge Ibaka in Philly. He could play with Embiid, he could spot start for Embiid when he's resting and the dude is just a lunch pale and hard hat kind of dude. I think he'd be interested in big minutes on a contender.

I'm putting a good amount of money on the Bucks to win this series. Their shooting is too good and Giannis gets all the calls. Toronto needs someone other than Kawhi to contribute.

Kawhi should stay in Toronto. They have such a good team there. Trading for Marc Gasol was such a perfect move. I know he's older but man if they can get 3 years of this level of play out of him and just keep this team together, they can go on a hell of a run. They just have so many guys that have a deep understanding of the game and it all starts with their superstar player and goes down. They all understand their roles. They're all willing to fit into their roles and that core of players has been together for a while now. I'm not going to crown them Champions yet but this is the only type of team that can beat the Warriors. You're not going to out shoot the Warriors. 

idk, if Kawhi stays in Toronto he might get Gretzky level love in Canada because I think if he does they win a couple titles. He would be a god there lol.

I believe Gasol is on a player option, which doesn't ensure he re-signs. Kawhi is very much up in the air. He is a WC guy and the LA teams have $$$. I think he is likely leaivng, win or lose. Though, I will say this, Ujiri is the best GM in the game with what he has done in TOR, IMO. 

As far as this series goes, I think GS adjusts to mitigate Gasol from killing them, but with KD out, do they have an answer for Siakam? Also, they need to give Boogie more playing time. 

The way Toronto was making the right passes in game one so consistently, that's going to be easier said than done. If you make adjustments on Gasol somebody else will have a chance at some good looks. That person can't be Kawhi. He was happy to pass out of doubles and not try to force anything in game one but idk man, I say you almost have to let Gasol beat you. 

That was a great game and a very good series in general. I don't know what the Warriors are going to do next year. KD is 100% not playing and now Klay is out for most of the year too. Klay will probably re-sign, and KD might even decide to stay a year to rehab, but that'd mean 60 million or so would be going to two players that aren't playing. Warrior aren't the West favorites IMO, but I'm not really sure who is. To me, this upped the price for AD to the Lakers since him + LeBron is definitely a contender in a way they weren't with a fully loaded Warriors looming.

We'll have to see how free agency shapes up, but I'm still feeling that Clippers buzz.

Boys, I could not be happier for Kyle Lowry. My favorite NBA player by far. Incredible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So happy to see the Raps win. 100% well deserved. Of course, it is different if the Warriors are at full health, but they weren't and even then are still a top tier team. Hate to see Klay and KD go down right before free agency though. I think the Warriors sign both, assuming KD wants to return (I hope not), and hopefully can recover in time to make the playoffs.

The Raptors are interesting, themselves. Kawhi and Gasol on the way out. Ujiri is getting interest from elsewhere. Talk of the Wizards offering ownership and $10m a year to be Pres of Ops. Can't say I blame them, I think Masai is the best GM in the league but ownership stake is an interesting ball to throw. 

Also, unsung, but I thought Ibaka was awesome in that series. 

• Upvote 1

So happy for Ibaka. He's still the only player whose jersey I own. Sad for Game 6 Klay going down when he was on a heater like that again. Took them losing their two best players for the Raps to win. :smug:

Steph is like 0-20 in the last 20 seconds of playoff games. Klay would've taken them to 7.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zack_of_Steel said:

So happy for Ibaka. He's still the only player whose jersey I own. Sad for Game 6 Klay going down when he was on a heater like that again. Took them losing their two best players for the Raps to win. :smug:

Steph is like 0-20 in the last 20 seconds of playoff games. Klay would've taken them to 7.

I realize you are probably just saying that to slight Curry but I hate how people are actually saying this...Like no duh, KD literally broke the league going to GS and without his presence we actually got good, competitive basketball. The series was really competitive with Klay, so its hard to even say that was the absolute difference, more so just the nail in the coffin. I thought the Raps looked to be the better team for the majority of the series.

Curry is in fact 0-9 on lead-changing shots in the final two minutes of playoff games.

I think the Mavericks are going to look to make a splash  this off-season. They have 2 of the 5 best European prospects of all time and they're young and under contract. I think it's going to be harder for them because of the playoff injuries, the demand for guys like Kemba Walker is a lot higher. Maybe if Reddish slips the Mavs might try to make a move idk but they have to be licking their chops with the Warriors and Spurs in limbo a little.

This is probably the worst outcome I could imagine.

Chris Paul is without a doubt one of the biggest twats in the NBA. So ridiculously unlikable from the flopping to the whining to the dirty wrist-grab on D he's so famous for to the Stans trying to put him above Stockton. FUCK.

Furthermore, I absolutely loathe the Rockets and their abortion of a fanbase (if LAL fans know they're a legion of cunts, you guys can accept it also). I was hyped to watch Russ and Jimmy in MIA, but this?

For Russ, I'm happy that he's on a contender and that he's going to get to play with one of his good friends again. I just want no part of Chris Paul or the Rockets, but now I gotta root for them both? -_-

• Like 2

Well I'm just glad we can take the Rockets out of serious contender talk.

• Upvote 1

I suppose I could be wrong, but I think this is an incredibly stupid trade for Houston.

Westbrook is a WAY better fit for D'Antoni's system than CP3 was. They'll get back to run 'n gun.

Also, it looks like they're trying to trade CP3 before he ever puts on a jersey, so that's a relief. I figured for sure they were trying to have him be the tank commander and save ticket sales considering OKC LOVES them some CP3 since they played there during the Katrina shiz. Guess that's a fine backup plan. Apparently MIA is in the mix for him.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

On 7/13/2019 at 3:45 AM, Zack_of_Steel said:

Westbrook is a WAY better fit for D'Antoni's system than CP3 was. They'll get back to run 'n gun.

Also, it looks like they're trying to trade CP3 before he ever puts on a jersey, so that's a relief. I figured for sure they were trying to have him be the tank commander and save ticket sales considering OKC LOVES them some CP3 since they played there during the Katrina shiz. Guess that's a fine backup plan. Apparently MIA is in the mix for him.

Westbrook might be the better fit in D'Antoni's system.

But.. when has D'Antoni's shit system won him anything meaningful in the playoffs? Rockets are a contender, but they could be a legitimate team if they could run more than vanilla half court sets when it matters in the playoffs. Teams take the Rockets out of their element when they slow the pace down. 

OKC is going to be stuck with CP3 unless some bottom feeder trash team with a lot of cap... like the Bulls/Kings/Grizzlies make an offer they can't refuse with young talent. The timing of that trade really was unfortunate for OKC but you got to do what you can with what you have. 

• Upvote 1

Grizzlies won't do it because they just traded Mike Conley. Kings have Fox already but the Bulls would actually kind of make sense. CP3 on the Bulls puts them in the playoffs for sure and ahead of teams like Miami, Orlando & Detroit. Hell, I think they could even give Boston a run. I think LaVine, CP3 and Markkanen or however you spell it could be potent offensively. Wendell Carter is a solid player too. Idk if I have them winning the East with that squad but all of the sudden you like Dunn a lot more as a role player behind CP3 too. Idk what the details of that kind of trade look like but it makes sense for both teams to me.

• Upvote 1

On 7/18/2019 at 12:41 PM, seanbrock said:

Grizzlies won't do it because they just traded Mike Conley. Kings have Fox already but the Bulls would actually kind of make sense. CP3 on the Bulls puts them in the playoffs for sure and ahead of teams like Miami, Orlando & Detroit. Hell, I think they could even give Boston a run. I think LaVine, CP3 and Markkanen or however you spell it could be potent offensively. Wendell Carter is a solid player too. Idk if I have them winning the East with that squad but all of the sudden you like Dunn a lot more as a role player behind CP3 too. Idk what the details of that kind of trade look like but it makes sense for both teams to me.

Lol... that team is going nowhere. CP3 is at the end of the road. The Bulls would have to give up most likely a lot of draft capital to make it work. Also. It involves them paying CP3 a lot of money and in the past decade... tell me what big name player they've shelled out big money for. 

CP3 is definitely past his prime and overpaid but he's still good enough that you don't want him if youre tanking.