GA_Eagle

What was the last movie you watched?

Let the Right One In - 8/10 - real cool horror movie. I watched a dubbed version (the movie is only in Swedish) and it was slightly out of sync which kind of sucked. The movie was awesome though. Inspired the next movie I watched:

Let Me In - 8.5/10 - The American homage to Let the Right One In, I think I actually liked it a bit more. Chloe Hitgirl is awesome, and the final scenes are quite cool. Also making an appearance, the original Casey Jones, Elias Koteas.

Grudge Match - 7/10 - I liked it a lot. I can't get enough of Kevin Hart, and he had a bigger role than I thought he would. Stallone was ok, Robert DeNiro obviously overshadowed him though. The fight at the end was good.

Stayed home with the girlfriend today while she was sick. Got her to watch Devil's Advocate and Falling Down for the first time. Surprising to me she liked them both. I feel like my girlfriend has terrible taste in movies about nine times out of ten...

• Upvote 1

I just looked and this director is the same guy who made District 9.. wow. That is shocking.

Did you think District 9 was subtle...?

youngblood-movie-poster.jpg

Rob Lowe and Patrick Swayze together are great just like in the Outsiders. Really young Keanu Reeves!

Edited by Bay

I Know That Voice

Great documentary about voice actors and the work they do. Always been fascinated by the profession, honestly, so this was right up my alley. John Dimaggio is the narrator / host type guy so I was kind of afraid to wwatch it at first as I figured it would just be a huge circle jerk for him... But it really wasn't. Highly recommend it for anyone even slightly interested...

• Upvote 1

We got to the theater too late when we intended to see Gone Girl and the only movie left was Dracula Untold. We were high and decided it was better than nothing. WRONG ANSWER.

The movie is an abomination. Fuck that movie.

If you're bored and have Netflix these are some decent scary movies I watched recently. I always get the itch for horror movies in October.

You're Next - slasher/home invasion type movie. But it really isn't scary at all, it's actually kinda funny. Fast paced, doesn't take itself too seriously. I really liked it and would recommend it.

V/H/S/2 - it's a "found footage" type of movie. Basically 2 investigators get into some house and watch these tapes of 4 different crazy videos. They're all separate and about 15-20 minutes each. The 3rd one about an Indonesian cult is insane, would recommend this movie just for that one, it's one of the weirdest/freakiest things I've seen.

• Upvote 1

No one ever talks about Horror on here. :(

Because horror movies are bad, the ones of our current age anyway. :)

I would much rather watch a Bela Lugosi movie over some Chuckie or Annabelle bullshit. :D

If you like Horror movies, check out The ANgry Video Game Nerds MONSTER MADNESS! He does a monster / horror movie every day of the month... And they are mostly older, better ones... Ha

http://cinemassacre.com/

This years offerings so far
http://cinemassacre.com/category/moviereviews/monstermadness/2014-monster-madness-8/

Edited by Favre4Ever

True but I'm a fan of bad horror too. (name your franchise) Halloween is a classic at least.

Fury

REALLY REALLY good war movie... Probably one of my favorites, especially in recent memory. Shay Leboof, alone, drops the movies credibility though. I'd suggest going to see it if you are a history or war buff. And even if you aren't, it's a damn good movie anyway.

Gone Girl

Fucking phenomenal and chilling. A must see.

Fury

Wonderful WWII film. Not much else to say.

Gone Girl. It was everything I expected and hoped for. A great mystery, very atmospheric, and--in typical Fincher form--an eerie psychological tension that permeates every scene, start to finish. Trent Reznor's music really makes that happen, much like The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Also, Ben Affleck is the only "star" in the cast, but the acting is superb all around.

Go see it. You won't be disappointed.

• Upvote 1

Don't Stop Believin' : Everyman's Journey

Good documentary about Journey looking for a new lead vocalist after Steve Augeri's voice crapped out in the middle of a tour. Just so happened to find him on Youtube and he was living in the streets of Manilla. Quite fascinating, and Arnel has a lot of pretty deep thoughts and themes on life... Good stuff.

Snowpiercer.

I think some of the scenes work a lot better within the confines of a comic book, but it's a pretty solid movie. The payoff in the last half-hour or so is worth sitting through the somewhat slow rest of the film.

Edge of Tomorrow.

So much better than I was expecting, and then the end happened. I think F4E had the same complaints.

I'm all for happy endings, but it's like the writers didn't know how to get one with the events leading up to it and just threw something together in a manner that doesn't work. Probably the downside of deviating from the source material.

Nightcrawler

I'm a huge Jake Gyllenhaal fan and this is absolutely one of his best performances. Just phenomenal.

He went through some crazy shit to lose weight for the role, too:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-jake-gyllenhaal-lost-weight-for-nightcrawler-2014-11

I am loathe to give spoilers, so I'll leave my review here:

I loved the theme, the pacing, the music, everything. The soft, almost triumphant music during his moments of success juxtaposed against his descent into the role of a monstrosity was chilling and on point.

I try to watch as little as I can of trailers so I can go in blind, and I had no idea that Gyllenhaal was the villain, but they set the tone in the opening scene with him jacking the watch. It was perfect how they came full-circle with the watch at the end.

At first, it seems that he's just a hard-up guy that is doing what he can, but can't get a job. He's a bit greasy, what we see from his apartment is a bit peculiar, but he's fiercely intelligent. You get the sense that life hasn't been easy for him and that he'd have been something already if he had had direction. You see that he's mechanical and socially inept when he propositions the producer, but you're still rooting for him to succeed. But then he moves the fucking body and you feel it in your gut, his propensity for awful and depraved shit.

Great movie. Hope there's not a sequel.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Halloween (1978) on Halloween. After all these years it's still a true classic and easily one of the finest horror films I've ever seen. John Carpenter's brilliant score is perfect, just adds to the eeriness and suspense already present. I was gonna watch Halloween II after, but I was too tired :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Haven't been to the theaters in a long while, but three movies have caught my eye and I want to see them all very soon.

Gone Girl

Nightcrawler

Interstellar

Fury a week or so ago. I cheated and read the script before going, but it made it more interesting for me to see how they ended up making it look on screen. All in all, I was happy with the result.

My favorite scene in the whole movie had to be the eggs and coffee with the German mother and daughter. Once the rest of the crew barges in, there is an astronomical amount of internal conflict that has very little to do with the women, and much more to do with the tensions of war spilling over in what should have been a peaceful break in the action. This is something that isn't easy to put on paper and translate that effectively on screen. Well written scene, in my opinion.

Interstellar.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out just how I feel about this movie, mainly where it fits on the "Good-Really Good" scale. On the one hand, the characters are the weakest part of the film. They're all competent actors, but with the exception of one or two, they're just kind of...there, and could be swapped out with just about anyone and you'd end up with the same product as what we got. I cared more about the scenario itself than I did the people (except for the awesome robots) that it directly affected. Probably not a good thing, but it is what it is.

The movie itself is beautiful, and the story is solid, though the beginning part of the movie isn't all that good. I think some explanation of what was going on, or how things got to where they were, would've really helped it to start off. But after that, it picks up and there's some really, really solid moments.

I think I'd give it an 8.5. It falls just short of being "great" for exact reasons that I can't quite put my finger on, but it's still a very good movie.

(Furious 7 was one of the previews that was shown. That is going to be the most ridiculous and absurd movies of all time. OF ALL TIME!)

Edited by Vin

The Purge: Anarchy it was better than the last one. But thats not saying much.

Interstellar.

It was amazing. Not amazing in the sense that it was the greatest movie ever (there were a few stupid plot holes/things that didn't make sense, a la The Dark Knight Rises), but just the overall scope of the entire movie...it completely blew me away. Almost three hours and I was never bored. Christopher Nolan may not be the best director in Hollywood, but he's certainly the most ambitious.

I look forward to seeing this again.

• Upvote 1